PDA

View Full Version : Need to make a super quick political intrigue character before 4:00

Dankus Memakus
2018-04-26, 10:10 AM
Okay so I wanna make a character before 4:00 today because i got roped into this campaign and I really really really wanna play a forge cleric but I don't think that will be interesting enough. The campaign is set around 5 kings all vying for power of the world and I will not be one of these kings so I need a claim to power and a character who can function in PVP and with social situations. Someone please help me!

Note: I have not ever played this type of campaign.

nickl_2000
2018-04-26, 10:12 AM
Bard, College of Whispers is the dream class for this situation.

Bard college of Glamour with it's charm abilities would be awesome too.

Warlock with Mask of many faces would be pretty interesting to make yourself appear like others in counrt would be fun as well.

Dankus Memakus
2018-04-26, 10:13 AM
Bard, College of Whispers is the dream class for this situation.

Bard college of Glamour with it's charm abilities would be awesome too.

Warlock with Mask of many faces would be pretty interesting to make yourself appear like others in counrt would be fun as well.

We already have 4 bards (they are the kings) would it be annoying to have a 5th

(There are a bunch of players)

JNAProductions
2018-04-26, 10:14 AM
Mastermind or Inquisitive Rogue.

nickl_2000
2018-04-26, 10:15 AM
We already have 4 bards (they are the kings) would it be annoying to have a 5th

(There are a bunch of players)

What level are you playing?

Dankus Memakus
2018-04-26, 10:16 AM
What level are you playing?

The dm said we would be level one and we are doing an epic 6 style campaign so we never get too powerful because "people need to die from one backstab"

nickl_2000
2018-04-26, 10:21 AM
Level 1 makes it harder... If you can get to level 3, this would be an amazing choice.
Great Old one Pact of the Chain.

Great Old one for Detect Thoughts and communication that can't be overheard.
Invisible Familiar for perfect spying.
Mask of Many Faces to pretend to be someone else to sew discord
Hex to make it so they suck at skill checks to figure out who you are
Armor of shadows so you are always armored even if you don't appear to be.

Dankus Memakus
2018-04-26, 10:22 AM
Level 1 makes it harder... If you can get to level 3, this would be an amazing choice.
Great Old one Pact of the Chain.

Great Old one for Detect Thoughts and communication that can't be overheard.
Invisible Familiar for perfect spying.
Mask of Many Faces to pretend to be someone else to sew discord
Hex to make it so they suck at skill checks to figure out who you are
Armor of shadows so you are always armored even if you don't appear to be.

This is very true

Magic Myrmidon
2018-04-26, 10:23 AM
You could probably be just fine as a forge cleric, as long as you take some social skills. Being able to cast divine magic (or magic in general) is its own form of political power, I'd think.

It's even pretty easy to come up with a claim to power. "I'm the chosen of the god of forges, any who want to be favored by the gods should follow me". For a generic cleric thing, at least.

Unoriginal
2018-04-26, 10:27 AM
Mastermind or Inquisitive Rogue.

I second this. As claim to power, you could be a Guildmaster, a noble, or someone in charge of an important office.

Or you could do your Forge Cleric, and go for an "High Priest" route.

Don't get fooled, you don't need to be a Bard or a Rogue to do intrigues.

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-04-26, 10:27 AM
A cleric sounds great. You could have it as a theme for your kingdom, a bit or a Vatican/Holy Roman Empire/Tibet kind of flavor, with a (partly) religion based power structure. It offers interesting options for interaction with the other kings, since no king is really looking to get on the bad side of the thing people rely on for morality. You could have a whole "England starts their own church" kind of storyline eventually.

So yeah, I think it's one of the best options you have. Just make sure the DM is not going to apply any kind of alignment or behavior restrictions on a cleric. You want to be able to be a backroom pope every now and then, or even a backstab pope.

GlenSmash!
2018-04-26, 10:30 AM
Make a Barbarian just to see your DM's face.

Hecuba
2018-04-26, 10:32 AM
This is very true

How do you feel about about UA content?
An Order of the Awakened Mystic could work well here: Take Psychic Disruption, Psychic Inquisition (or Psychic Contact if you want to be a bit less Psi-cop-ish/are particularly concerned with an explicit telepathic party chat without the need for the character to act as relay) and Nomadic Mind. You'll have telepathy, be able to get proficiency on demand for all skills and languages, extract the truth from the enemy (or putative ally), and - if push comes to shove - keep the enemy from seeing past 10' for a bit while dealing damage.

"That was his plan all along.” She blinked her abruptly shining eyes several times and said fiercely, “The problem is that Doroga does not seem to be clever. No wonder my mother loved him.”

GlenSmash!
2018-04-26, 10:43 AM
"That was his plan all along.” She blinked her abruptly shining eyes several times and said fiercely, “The problem is that Doroga does not seem to be clever. No wonder my mother loved him.”

Oh man It's bee years since I read that one. Nice.

In all seriousness i probably would make a Conan type character that would murderhobo, uh I mean, trample his way to kingship. Much to the consternation to the DM.

Awakened Mystic has a cool Paul Atreides vibe to it. That was a dude that could play the Game of Thrones, that's for sure.

diplomancer
2018-04-26, 10:59 AM
warlock. disguise self incantation. friends cantrip. actor feat. 1 rogue level for expertise in deception/persuasion, if you feel thats necessary

Honest Tiefling
2018-04-26, 11:02 AM
You could probably be just fine as a forge cleric, as long as you take some social skills. Being able to cast divine magic (or magic in general) is its own form of political power, I'd think.

It's even pretty easy to come up with a claim to power. "I'm the chosen of the god of forges, any who want to be favored by the gods should follow me". For a generic cleric thing, at least.

Dwarf forge cleric. Who else would be king? Get yourself a diplomat (one of the other players) and crank up your wisdom for the sweet sweet perception and insight checks. There are going to be assassins, so prepare for that. Being able to sabotage metallic items (such as a carriage) would also seem important.

That and being able to cure poison.

Dankus Memakus
2018-04-26, 11:03 AM

I actually debated this

Dankus Memakus
2018-04-26, 11:04 AM
I second this. As claim to power, you could be a Guildmaster, a noble, or someone in charge of an important office.

Or you could do your Forge Cleric, and go for an "High Priest" route.

Don't get fooled, you don't need to be a Bard or a Rogue to do intrigues.

Actually playing a forge cleric guildmaster may be fun as well

Dankus Memakus
2018-04-26, 11:23 AM
The more I think the more I want to play a barbarian. Really I may play him as a nobleman with anger issues... I will probably play human to attempt to get more social skills or stealth with a feat. Anyone have ideas on what feat

Linguist and observant may be fun

JNAProductions
2018-04-26, 11:23 AM
The more I think the more I want to play a barbarian. Really I may play him as a nobleman with anger issues... I will probably play human to attempt to get more social skills or stealth with a feat. Anyone have ideas on what feat

Skilled, for three skills.
Prodigy, for one skill and one Expertise.

Dankus Memakus
2018-04-26, 11:26 AM
Skilled, for three skills.
Prodigy, for one skill and one Expertise.

Which do you think id better also, Should I go for stealth or deception

Edit : can't talk

Honest Tiefling
2018-04-26, 11:56 AM
Which do you think id better also, Should I go for stealth or deception

Edit : can't talk

Stealth. Just pretend you have deception and roleplay accordingly. All the better to lure your enemies into thinking you are an idiot. Or at least not just going to stab them in their sleep and pin it on the guys next door.

Unoriginal
2018-04-26, 12:00 PM
Prodigy for Expertise in Deception would work well.

SirGraystone
2018-04-26, 12:13 PM
Do not be a king, be the archbishop of the church.

GlenSmash!
2018-04-26, 12:20 PM
Do not be a king, be the archbishop of the church.

It worked for Thomas Becket.

Wait...

No. It didn't.

smcmike
2018-04-26, 12:24 PM

I was also going to recommend a barbarian, for a couple of reasons.

1. I always recommend barbarians.
2. Barbarians are the best.
3. If you try to play intrigue games against 4 bards who are all trying to play intrigue games, well, good luck with that. If, on the other hand, you march into their great hall and cut their head off, their intrigue doesn’t mean much. If everyone else is playing Loki, you should play Thor.

GlenSmash!
2018-04-26, 12:27 PM

3. If you try to play intrigue games against 4 bards who are all trying to play intrigue games, well, good luck with that. If, on the other hand, you march into their great hall and cut their head off, their intrigue doesn’t mean much. If everyone else is playing Loki, you should play Thor.

We truly understand what is best in life my friend.

Dankus Memakus
2018-04-26, 12:35 PM

I am like 99% sold on barb now lol

Joe the Rat
2018-04-26, 12:36 PM
Dwarf forge cleric. Who else would be king? Get yourself a diplomat (one of the other players) and crank up your wisdom for the sweet sweet perception and insight checks. There are going to be assassins, so prepare for that. Being able to sabotage metallic items (such as a carriage) would also seem important.

That and being able to cure poison.

I've always liked the Guilds Council approach to Dwarven politics - Rule by the Chamber of Commerce. Who better than a Forge Cleric to speak for the Dwarves' interests in Winter Court (or whatever you're calling it). Clan Crafter or Guild Artisan for the background (both give Insight, Guild Artisan includes Persuasion). Or Charlatan if you aren't actually the Speaker of the Dwarves.

It worked for Thomas Becket.

Wait...

No. It didn't.
Okay, I actually laughed out loud on that one.

Unoriginal
2018-04-26, 12:52 PM
Take Barbarian, put a lot in WIS and CHA, have proficiency in Religion, and become the archbishop.

As a Barbarian, you can fight just fine in ceremonial robes.

All hail Hierophant Ironstrike!

GlenSmash!
2018-04-26, 01:53 PM
Okay, I actually laughed out loud on that one.

Hey I'm just glad someone got my 12th century reference.

That I probably wouldn't even know if it wasn't for Blackadder.

Kyrinthic
2018-04-26, 02:01 PM
Extra points for being a half orc. Never die to just one backstab, regardless of what the GM wants.

Azazel_Unbound
2018-04-26, 02:13 PM
If you want to keep your holy warrior vibe, go for a Zealot Barb, hell even take a couple levels into paladin down the way. Cut the heads of the heretic snakes with your holy wrath.

smcmike
2018-04-26, 04:58 PM
Extra points for being a half orc. Never die to just one backstab, regardless of what the GM wants.

Yes, perfect.

There really is not a more satisfying moment in the game than when the DM narrates your character getting violently knocked unconscious, and you wait until he’s done and narrate your astonishing ability to stay upright.

Honest Tiefling
2018-04-26, 05:51 PM
That I probably wouldn't even know if it wasn't for Blackadder.

Speaking of Blackadder, I think his Holiness Heirophant Ironstrike, Wielder of the Holy Fists and Smiter of Heathens needs to sound like Brian Blessed.

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-04-26, 05:53 PM
Take Barbarian, put a lot in WIS and CHA, have proficiency in Religion, and become the archbishop.

As a Barbarian, you can fight just fine in ceremonial robes.

All hail Hierophant Ironstrike!

Imagine the sermons.

And our lord Grok said: "Thou shall not kill, or Hierophant Ironstrike will kill you, and I will look upon you and say that if you angered the hierophant you must deserve the deepest of the nine hells."

Knaight
2018-04-26, 06:01 PM

Linguist and observant may be fun

I like this idea, but it might be fun to push it yet further - you're a noble, in the sense of a member of some sort of nearby "barbarian" culture, and you're part of "civilized" society by virtue of one of several marriage pacts that sealed the peace between said cultures. Think a Hun or Mongol during one of their weaker periods relative to Rome or China (on the trade side of the trade-raid-invade scale), or something similar between the Scythians and a settled people, where you're absolutely a Hun, Mongol, or Scythian analog.

Which, in standard fantasy allegory, probably makes you an orc - or maybe a half orc.

GlenSmash!
2018-04-26, 06:16 PM
Speaking of Blackadder, I think his Holiness Heirophant Ironstrike, Wielder of the Holy Fists and Smiter of Heathens needs to sound like Brian Blessed.

https://media.immediate.co.uk/volatile/sites/3/2017/08/102928.jpg?quality=90&lb=620,413&background=white