PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Optimizing the homebrew MFoV Exemplar Rogue

Protato
2018-04-26, 10:40 AM
Looking at the Exemplar Rogue archetype (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2016/05/exemplar.html) on Middle Finger of Vecna, it looks good (maybe even too good!), and as food for thought I'd ask people on here how they'd optimize it. My first thought is to make a crossbow archer Vuman and take either Alert, Sharpshooter, and Crossbow Expert and take the others some point in the build. Maybe Martial Adept too. Before taking feats I'd want to have at least 18 Dex though, personally. For multiclassing I'd take three levels in Battlemaster, which is obvious, but I'd also think about Gloomstalker. Alert + Int mod +Wis mod + high Dex = Never get low initiative again. Are there any other feats/multiclassing, or magic items you can think of that would make a good build?

Avonar
2018-04-26, 11:27 AM
Honestly, that class is so damn weird (abilities for int, wis AND cha) that I can't think of any archetype specific combinations. Whatever works for a general rogue works for this. Only thing I can suggest is don't take anything for 2 weapon fighting as it will invalidate one of your archetype abilities. Build around a single attack and getting advantage. Multiclassing into battlemaster makes sense but expect to get wrapped up in tracking 2 sets of superiority dice.

Garfunion
2018-04-26, 11:29 AM
You would be better off playing an Acane Trickster. You can get the same results faster.

clash
2018-04-26, 12:10 PM
If you want a rogue archer build that uses superiority dice, I have been playing this homebrew that I made based off of the Exemplar from that link. I have been playing it for the last 6 months and it seems balanced and plays well.

Rogue Sniper:
3 Elevated Shooting:
When you make a ranged attack against a target at lower elevation than you you do not need advantage to use sneak attack against them. All other conditions still apply.
3 Combat Superiority:
You gain 4 superiority dice at d8 and can use them with the following options. You gain another die at 9 and another at 17. You regain all of your expended superiority dice when you finish a short or long rest:
Precise shot:
When you make a ranged weapon attack roll against a creature, you can expend one superiority die to add it to the roll. You can use this maneuver before or after making the attack roll, but before any effects of the attack are applied.
Return Fire:
When a creature misses you with a ranged attack, you can use your reaction and expend one superiority die to make a ranged weapon attack against the creature, if you hit, you add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll.
Clever positioning:
Whenever you roll a strength(athletics) or a dexterity(acrobatics) check you can expend a superiority die and add it to the result rolled. You can use this maneuver before or after making the skill check, but before the result is known.
Quick Reaction:
When you roll initiative you may expend a superiority die and add it to the result rolled. You may choose to use this manuever before or after you roll but it must be done before combat has started.
9 Eagle Eye:
You can see twice as far as normal. If you spend movement equal to your speed you gain advantage on any wisdom(perception) checks that rely on sight and you don't suffer disadvantage on attack rolls from being prone until the end of your turn. You cant use this if your speed is 0.
13 Improved Combat Superiority:
You superiority dice turn into d10s, at level 20 they turn into d12s
17 Flow of Combat:
When you have no superiority dice left and you reduce a creature to 0 hit points, you regain a superiority die.

Godshoe
2018-04-27, 01:51 AM
You can see twice as far as normal.
Is it just a narrative for the subsequent description or it's somehow related to the range of vision (dark one, precisely)?

clash
2018-04-27, 08:35 AM
Is it just a narrative for the subsequent description or it's somehow related to the range of vision (dark one, precisely)?

This is mostly for flavor, but the dmg does have sight rules on how far you can see, and many dm's will also impose rules on sight when a character is trying to make a shot from a long way away. For example I think sight range in fog doesnt go further than like 300ft. Which when doubled would be great for those longbow shots. It would not extend darkvision though, the main ability here is being able to lie prone up high and snipe people without disadvantage while ranged attacks have disadvantage against you. The see twice as far is a ribbon.