PDA

View Full Version : Fun uses for Arcane Mark?

TheLogman
2007-09-03, 05:59 PM
What fun and inventive uses can you all think up for Arcane Mark?

I can think of a few right now, such as marking Criminals, marking people you've defeated, marking your possessions, and marking the paths through a maze. However, these aren't very interesting, does anyone have anything really fun to do with this spell?

psychoticbarber
2007-09-03, 06:05 PM
Waking up before the party Paladin and casting it on his face in the morning?

Vhaidara
2007-09-03, 06:10 PM
What he said, except doing it to the sorcorer that got a +6 Cloak of Charisma and a Headband of Persuasion out of the last adventure. And in RL, using it on my dad, who, when my cousin realized his gnome wizard had no spells with a longer range than short, sang this:
"Gnomebody knows..."
And was then cut off and given a -2 penalty for the rest of the night.

AKA_Bait
2007-09-03, 06:12 PM
I've always liked using it as arcane graffiti. It is in a 1ft. square. Use all that space. :-)

StickMan
2007-09-03, 06:39 PM
Waking up before the party Paladin and casting it on his face in the morning?

Oh I do love that.

There was a alt class feature for sorcerers in a Dragons that let them place there Arcane Mark on anyone the made a unarmed melee attack on.

comicshorse
2007-09-03, 06:50 PM
And speaking as a guy playing a Paladin they don't always wait until you're asleep to do it

Macrovore
2007-09-03, 07:14 PM
I used it to mark our paladin of tyranny's equipment (notably, his sword and armor), to make people think he was my bodyguard or manservant. fun times.

Psychotic
2007-09-03, 07:18 PM
I like to make it invisible and place it on the ass of one of the female party members. That is if I was afraid of them.

Otherwise, I'd make it quite visible.

MrNexx
2007-09-03, 07:21 PM
I used it to mark our paladin of tyranny's equipment (notably, his sword and armor), to make people think he was my bodyguard or manservant. fun times.

Tangential to the point, but apropos of this, we had a party named "Dmitri's Band" after the Wizard's familiar... largely because they couldn't agree on any other name for the group, and the DM had something of a mania for party names.

comicshorse
2007-09-03, 07:24 PM
Mark the disguised assassin so you can recognise him later.

Vonriel
2007-09-03, 07:45 PM
Mark some loot, sell it to a shady dealer, alert the authorities that you believe said loot has been stolen, then show them your mark to prove it. :smallcool:

Mewtarthio
2007-09-03, 07:58 PM
Mark on the inside of a Wizard's spellbook.

----

Sneak into the home of someone important from whom you seek employment and mark his wife, his person, or anything else of value to him (note: You may need to UMD this, since you'll need a stealth-oriented build). Then, write him a note requesting employment. Do I even need to tell you how to sign it?

Gralamin
2007-09-03, 08:51 PM
Step 1: Make a use activated Item of Arcane mark. Lets make it a stamp.
Step 1a: Buy a lot of Sapphires that are worth 1000 gp
Step 2: Stamp Anything you wish you had, up to 6 ft in any dimension, and less then 10lbs.
Step 3: If something to big, cast Shrink item on it, then Apply the mark.
Step 4: Cast Instant Summons (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/instantSummons.htm) on each item
Step 5: Get away, and cast again.

bloodluster
2007-09-03, 09:37 PM
four words: instant kick me sign

Laesin
2007-09-03, 10:04 PM
Step 3: If something to big, cast Shrink item on it, then Apply the mark.

Shouldn't that be a simple corollary to step 2?

Gralamin
2007-09-03, 10:07 PM
Shouldn't that be a simple corollary to step 2?

Yes. Was there a point to that post?

0oo0
2007-09-03, 10:44 PM
Oh I do love that.

There was a alt class feature for sorcerers in a Dragons that let them place there Arcane Mark on anyone the made a unarmed melee attack on.

Do you have any idea where I could find this?

MrNexx
2007-09-03, 11:04 PM
four words: instant kick me sign

Are you reading the spell correctly? I do not think it means what you think it means.

This spell allows you to inscribe your personal rune or mark, which can consist of no more than six characters.

Is your personal rune "Kick me"?

slexlollar89
2007-09-03, 11:13 PM
If your rune takes the form of a small smily face, then you can adorn simple tunics with it and sell them for cash, because even a peasant needs to be cheered up once in a while!

weenie
2007-09-04, 03:56 AM
If you have leadership you can mark your troops with it.

I once played a game where I was a NG elf wiz, and a CE orc barb was presented to the party. Because the orc was evil, the first thing he tried to do was to rob us, so I cast sleep on him, cast arcane mark on his forehead and when he woke up I showed him a his reflection in a mirror and told him, that if he is from now on my servant and if he ever tries anithing wierd that simbol can make his head explode at my will. With a wis od 8 and int of 7, it didn't take a high bluff to get us a brand new meat shield :smallbiggrin:

Zoraciel Ivtel
2007-09-04, 02:17 PM
In one of my campaigns, the sorcerer was possessed by a demon, so when he cast the arcane mark on another character, it linked the two of them, allowing the demoness to pass back and forth between their minds...our thief has wanted to kill him ever since.:smallbiggrin:

Were-Sandwich
2007-09-04, 02:39 PM
Anything where you want to permanently brand something as yours. I could see slavers using it on their goods, or traders in general, or for criminals. Depends on how much you can change it between castings, at DM's discretion.

mockingbyrd7
2007-09-04, 03:10 PM
If it's a cool looking rune, you can tattoo yourself or others. "Arcane tattoos! Only 5 gold! Get your arcane tattoos here!"

Also, since it's your own PERSONAL rune, a wizard might set up a system where, instead of a lock on his door, he has his personal rune engraved in the door so he can cast Arcane Mark on the engravement and open the door. That way, only he can unlock it.

Korias
2007-09-04, 03:13 PM
Make it "Kick Me!" and put it on the back of the BBEG.

Vhaidara
2007-09-04, 03:14 PM
O the party paladin, who will always be in front, especially if you have a monk, who is always right behind them.

Grug
2007-09-04, 04:01 PM
Build your lair full of deadly traps, the only visible guide is youyr markings.

However, a pair of magic glasses allows whoever wears them to see the marks and be guided through.

knightsaline
2007-09-05, 01:57 AM
Nexx, most of these things have been allowed by the spooky wizard that lives on the coast (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/tt/20070717a). The thief thing works well, as well as the arcane mark/ arcane sight combo. that one works better if the party wizard casts it on a guard on patrol, then sends the sneaky one to follow him while wearing goggles of arcane sight.

Xuincherguixe
2007-09-05, 02:42 AM
Slap one on target of choice.
Go to absurd heights (such as with some sort of flight)
Cast Instant Summons.

You could grab them and use the threat of being dropped for some purpose. But letting them drop works too.

edit: Oh hmm. Only works on nonliving targets. Okay, guess it still works with Undead and Constructs. And possibly outsiders.

In a similar vein, slap it on rocks.

Or, it could be thrown on some players, and it keeps teleporting people back to some location as part of a trap. Mwa ha ha!

DrummingDM
2007-09-05, 07:24 AM
Waking up before the party Paladin and casting it on his face in the morning?An old character of mine did something quite similar to a drunken, passed out dwarf party member who got us tossed into jail overnight. He woke up with a delightful sigil marked squarely on his forehead.

Chineselegolas
2007-09-05, 08:08 AM
Marking your conquests.
Or pretending they are them...

We came across a damsel in distress, and rescued her. Her clothes were damaged, so the sorcerer offered to cast mending. While he was doing that, pretended to still be mending, and cast arcane mark (Which is his name), on her lower back.

We later encountered her, and due to her fashion sense, we could clearly see the mark...