PDA

View Full Version : Simulacrum of a Dragon

Aaedimus
2018-04-26, 12:40 PM
Usually I'm big on not setting potentially game breaking precident, but this was so cool I couldn't help but let it happen.

So I have 7 lvl 8 players running through a leveled up version of the sunken citadel. Obviously one of those changes was bringing Calcryx up from a wyrmling to a CR 9 White Dragon (her growing hoard caused the rapid growth)

Eventually they were able to get her to sleep (through magical means) for a long period of time after convincing her they were envoys of the Dragon God Chronepsis (which was true) and decided that they wanted to use a scroll of simulacrum they had found previously on her. Although a Dragon is not a Beast or a Humanoid, I couldn't help but let them get away with it. I was already setting up Yusdrayil, Erky, and Meepo (and possibly Cancryx if they could fix her attitude) to become a second team they can work with in the future.

100% rule of cool, but I feel as if I may somehow regret the choice in the future.

Lol they don't have anymore scrolls, but they already had enough rubies to make another 12 dragons.....

If they have to wait till level 14 though, (I probably won't give them another scroll) that's not that bad is it?

Anyways, first they've got to figure out how to get these two large White Dragons out of the Goblin Village/Citadel for them to be useful at all.

Any suggestions on cool ways this could play out? The Dragons and NPCs are hanging out upstairs waiting for the team to come back from the basement right now.

Aembrosia
2018-04-26, 04:18 PM
Yes, but...

That sounds pretty -cool- dude. If i was a player i wouldnt be dissapointed if this ultimately just meant we had advantage on diplomacy with the copy. Yeah, its a simulacrum, but its still a dragon!

Also would like to see, as a result of the white dragon being made of ice, it do stuff like.... Turn into a blizzard, meld with snow, improved cold breath.

Davrix
2018-04-26, 04:32 PM
a house rule we add at my house to stop the... silliness of that spell is put a limit on it. Basically if you cast this spell again the previous copy vanishes.

that being said its main draw is extra spell slots and stuff. So as a dragon you just have a bag of HP a breath weapon and claws.

Aaedimus
2018-04-27, 10:59 AM
And fear. Don't forget the fear.

ATHATH
2018-04-27, 11:51 AM
a house rule we add at my house to stop the... silliness of that spell is put a limit on it. Basically if you cast this spell again the previous copy vanishes.

that being said its main draw is extra spell slots and stuff. So as a dragon you just have a bag of HP a breath weapon and claws.
Uh, the spell ALREADY has that "if you cast this spell again, the previous copy vanishes" clause.

And Simulacrum works best with characters and creatures that DON'T rely on spellcasting, since they can still recharge their abilities.