PDA

View Full Version : Goliath warhulk?

EndocrineBandit
2018-04-26, 03:58 PM
The barbarian racial substitution for a goliath turns him large when raging.. if memory serves, if you have levels in a prc you no longer qualify for you lose the class features? If that's true would that mean the goliath has time to think till he rages? Im thinking of making a barblade warhulk

NerdHut
2018-04-26, 04:02 PM
If you're the DM, it's your call. Otherwise, ask the person who is DM.

This falls into a bit of a grey area in my opinion. I'd personally have no problem allowing a Goliath character to take levels in War Hulk due to Powerful Build, but I don't think I'd let a Goliath Barbarian ignore the No Time To Think feature while they're not raging.

InterstellarPro
2018-04-26, 04:37 PM
If you're the DM, it's your call. Otherwise, ask the person who is DM.

This falls into a bit of a grey area in my opinion. I'd personally have no problem allowing a Goliath character to take levels in War Hulk due to Powerful Build, but I don't think I'd let a Goliath Barbarian ignore the No Time To Think feature while they're not raging.

Even if that means they lose all of the strength while they are not raging?

Thurbane
2018-04-26, 04:50 PM
I'm having trouble finding it now, but isn't there a section somewhere in RoS that allows Goliaths to specifically count as if large to qualify for certain feats and PrCs?

I may be misremembering: looks like I was thinking of the wording in several specific feats in RoS (Fling Ally, Fling Enemy, Improved Rock Hurling etc.).

Kelb_Panthera
2018-04-26, 04:55 PM
I'm having trouble finding it now, but isn't there a section somewhere in RoS that allows Goliaths to specifically count as if large to qualify for certain feats and PrCs?

It's not a general rule but literally every option in Races of Stone that requires a large creature has a note that goliaths qualify because of massive build.

To the OP,

The sidebar in CW and CA is an editing error. It's a reminder of a rule from 3.0 that was dropped in the 3.5 conversion. If you're a warhulk, you're a warhulk at all times.

NerdHut
2018-04-26, 07:29 PM
Even if that means they lose all of the strength while they are not raging?

Really what it sounds like is you want a prestige class with an on/off switch. It's not something I would allow.

TallerSpine
2018-04-26, 09:40 PM
Really what it sounds like is you want a prestige class with an on/off switch. It's not something I would allow.

That's fair. But the OP was talking about losing all benefits of the class when not raging. I'd be fine with turning it into a rage-only class. When not raging, you have no BAB, crappy saves, etc. That sounds worse than just having the class all the time.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-04-26, 09:50 PM
That's fair. But the OP was talking about losing all benefits of the class when not raging. I'd be fine with turning it into a rage-only class. When not raging, you have no BAB, crappy saves, etc. That sounds worse than just having the class all the time.

Before the rule was dropped in the 3.5 conversion, you only lost class features from the PrC if you lost the qualifications. You'd still keep the hp, skill points, save bonuses, and base attack bonuses (not that the last of those is relevant to warhulk).

TallerSpine
2018-04-26, 09:56 PM
Before the rule was dropped in the 3.5 conversion, you only lost class features from the PrC if you lost the qualifications. You'd still keep the hp, skill points, save bonuses, and base attack bonuses (not that the last of those is relevant to warhulk).

Exactly my point

Kelb_Panthera
2018-04-26, 10:06 PM
Exactly my point

No time to think is pretty brutal if you can't turn it off. Having an off switch that can be flipped against your will by a low-level spell sucks pretty hard too, though.

Here's the thing though; skillful weapon enhancement. You can largely ignore the major drawback to having your warhulk levels "turned off" with a simple, obvious purchase that you also benefit from having when they're "turned on."

EndocrineBandit
2018-04-26, 10:29 PM
It wouldn't so much be an on/off switch but moreso making the warhulk modify the goliath's rage further. There are tons of feats and class features that alter how it behaves.. this would essentially turn the warhulk prc into a class that grants a subset of skills and abilities only usable while raging. I was under the impression that powerful build only affected feat qualifications and gear used, not prestige classes too. Seems a silly distinction but that's the drawback of raw.

DarkSoul
2018-04-27, 10:41 AM
Allowing it to work has a very Incredible Hulk flavor so if your DM is alright with a character concept like that, great. It does set a precedent, though so it's worth taking some time to discuss.

EndocrineBandit
2018-04-28, 05:25 PM
An incredible hulk or dr. Jeckle/Mr Hyde theme is exactly what i am looking for. A goliath warhulk seems to fit the role pretty well if a dm rules my interpretation of the rules correct.

Andezzar
2018-04-28, 06:16 PM
An incredible hulk or dr. Jeckle/Mr Hyde theme is exactly what i am looking for. A goliath warhulk seems to fit the role pretty well if a dm rules my interpretation of the rules correct.While you might get a DM to agree with your houserule, that is not an interpretation of the rules as written.
First of all the rules for losing something of a PrC are in CArc and CW and as such only apply to PrCs in those books according to the primary source rule. Secondly the two rules are different so it is unclear which one to use. Thirdly neither one has a mechanism for recovering the features you lost, so what is gone stays gone. So you better ignore them altogether.

I suggest you forget about the Warhulk it is not really suited for a PC. The only other option for a character that behaves differently while raging that I know of is the frenzied berserker. Just don't forget to hand out marbles to your teammates. :smallwink:

Rebel7284
2018-04-29, 12:53 AM
Anthropomorphic Baleen Whale [SS] with Hidden Talent -> Compression could work as well. 3HD, 0LA and great stats.