PDA

View Full Version : Colored lights may hypnotize: a sorcerer question

Beechgnome
2018-04-26, 04:17 PM
So I want to make a sorcerer as a backup character in Tomb of Annihilation, and I had an idea for crafting a kind of color/light/star themed spellcaster with the entertainer background who likes to juggle multi-colored balls (Magic Stones, per druid spell) while Melf’s Minute Missiles and a Crown of Stars orbits his head.

If he happens upon some Ioun Stones, that would be a life's achievement for him. He is also a bit solopsistic, and desires a literal representation of this self-evident reality.

Here is my plan (we are gifted a free feat at first level)

Protector Aasimar
Str 10 Dex 14 Con 12 Int 10 Wis 14 (13+1) Cha 16 (14+2)
Feat: Magic Initiate (Druid) Magic stone, Guidance, Faerie Fire

Opening spells
Cantrips: Green-flame blade, Ray of Frost, Light, Dancing lights
1st Color Spray Chromatic Orb

And then the plan is:

2nd Shield
3rd Invisibility (Metamagic: Careful, Twinned)
4th Pyrotechnics (Swap Color Spray for Phantasmal Force), Cantrip: Mage hand, +2 Charisma
5th Hypnotic Pattern
6th Melf’s Minute Meteors
7th Sickening Radiance
8th Daylight, +2 Charisma
9th Wall of Light
10th Charm Monster (Metamagic: Quicken), Cantrip: Prestidigitation
11th Sunbeam
12 +2 Con
13th Prismatic Spray
15th Crown of Stars
etc etc

Metamagic choices
So, Careful spell would be used for Faerie Fire, Color Spray/Pyrotechnics, Hypnotic Pattern, Sickening Radiance, Wall of Light, Prismatic Spray.
Twinned would be used for Chromatic Orb, Invisibility, Phantasmal Force, Charm Monster.
Quickened comes on line right around the time spells like Wall of Light and Sunbeam come into play.

Attack rolls: Green-flame blade, Ray of Frost, Chromatic Orb, Wall of Light, Crown of Stars
Dexterity: Light, Faerie Fire, Melf’s Minute Meteors, Prismatic Spray
Constitution: Pyrotechnics, Sickening Radiance, Wall of Light, Sunbeam
Intelligence: Phantasmal Force
Wisdom: Hypnotic Pattern, Charm Monster

Damage by type:

Many (Chromatic Orb, Prismatic Spray)
Fire: Green-flame blade, Melf’s Minute Meteors
Cold: Ray of Frost
Psychic: Phantasmal Force
Radiant: Sickening Radiance, Wall of Light, Sunbeam, Crown of Stars.

By condition:
Blinded: Color Spray/Pyrotechnics, Wall of Light, Sunbeam
Charmed: Hypnotic Pattern, Charm Monster
Exhausted: Sickening Radiance

The basic crunch of the character is that for things immune to charm and exhausted conditions, such as undead and constructs, radiant damage/blinding will usually be effective. And if it has blindsight? Blast it, I guess.

As a support character, spells like Color Spray/Pyrotechnics/Hypnotic Pattern/Sickening Radiance/Wall of Light cast Carefully can muck up the enemy and make it easier for the rest of the party to mop them up.

I chose Druid and not Bard to access both Faerie Fire and Magic Stone, which I think will be good tactical options at lower levels (I also have this plan to cast magic stone on a rock, then cast light/daylight on it and chuck it in dark places as needed.) Plus I can juggle them. This is not entirely optimized.

So, my question. What kind of sorcerer should I be? Shadow seems like a bit of a disconnect. Wild magic doesn’t seem to have a natural fit. Divine Soul would give me access to guiding bolt, I suppose, but for my color-theme I’d rather have chromatic orb. Draconic would allow me to pick a color, as it were, and I guess I would choose a fire dragon because of green-flame blade and melf’s, but only by default.

There was a seven-veil wizard class in 3.5 based on mastering prismatic ray/wall, but as I recall, that was more of a straight-up abjurer. I’m going for Dazzler/Jubilee here. And I feel like a sorcerer with careful spell is the best way to maximize the spells I want to choose.

Any thoughts? Homebrew solutions welcomed.

Vessyra
2018-04-26, 04:33 PM
Phoenix soul (Unearthed arcana) would allow you to surround yourself in pretty, swirling flames for a minute. It is rather fire-based like the red dragon sorcerer, but I feel that it is slightly more colourful. If fire colours aren't your style, then any of the other sorcerer types in Xanathar's guide and the player's handbook save for the shadow sorcerer would be fairly colourful. If you wish to take the divine soul, however, take care, for while it will open up manny new spells of different colours, as a sorcerer you do not have many spells known to spend

sophontteks
2018-04-26, 04:36 PM
Sounds like a glamour bard.
They have all the spells you want and special abilities that totally fit what you are aiming for.

EDIT: should probably go into more detail...

Level 3- Uses inspiration to change to a supernatural form (flavor that however dazzling you wish) that bolsters your teammates with temp hp, and distracts the enemy so they can all use their reaction to move without provoking reactions
- Use this as a bonus action so all your teammates can move out of the way of your dazzling AOE CC spells.

Level 3- juggle your balls around for a minute and hypnotize several people who watch. Its a beefed up undetectable charm person that hits multiple targets.

Level 6- You can juggle your balls in battle while lights flash around you, allowing you to use the command spell as a bonus action every round for a minute. No save if you already hypnotized them.

Level 14- Your dazzling display of lights makes it hard for people to even target you. If they make their save to hit you, they are dazed from your display and have disadvantage vs. your spells.

Now sprinkle on expertise in whatever you want, more skills, and literally every good spell that fits this theme.

Beechgnome
2018-04-26, 05:06 PM
Sounds like a glamour bard.
They have all the spells you want and special abilities that totally fit what you are aiming for.

EDIT: should probably go into more detail...

Level 3- Uses inspiration to change to a supernatural form (flavor that however dazzling you wish) that bolsters your teammates with temp hp, and distracts the enemy so they can all use their reaction to move without provoking reactions
- Use this as a bonus action so all your teammates can move out of the way of your dazzling AOE CC spells.

Level 3- juggle your balls around for a minute and hypnotize several people who watch. Its a beefed up undetectable charm person that hits multiple targets.

Level 6- You can juggle your balls in battle while lights flash around you, allowing you to use the command spell as a bonus action every round for a minute. No save if you already hypnotized them.

Level 14- Your dazzling display of lights makes it hard for people to even target you. If they make their save to hit you, they are dazed from your display and have disadvantage vs. your spells.

Now sprinkle on expertise in whatever you want, more skills, and literally every good spell that fits this theme.

This is compelling. I suppose I could magical secrets at 10th to get Sickening Radiance and Wall of Light and if I were really inclined I could take Magic Initiate Sorcerer to get Color Spray.

But I think I'll miss careful spell Metamagic: Faerie fire, pyrotechnics (the fireworks affect) hypnotic pattern and sickening radiance all can mess up your party if the casting isn't right, but with careful only sickening radiance has any downside after that first save.

Beechgnome
2018-04-26, 05:07 PM
Phoenix soul (Unearthed arcana) would allow you to surround yourself in pretty, swirling flames for a minute. It is rather fire-based like the red dragon sorcerer, but I feel that it is slightly more colourful. If fire colours aren't your style, then any of the other sorcerer types in Xanathar's guide and the player's handbook save for the shadow sorcerer would be fairly colourful. If you wish to take the divine soul, however, take care, for while it will open up manny new spells of different colours, as a sorcerer you do not have many spells known to spend

I had forgotten about Phoenix. It is pretty close to the theme, but I wish it were less elemental fire Phoenix and more Celestial Phoenix, if you know what I mean.

Crgaston
2018-04-26, 07:52 PM
Don’t forget that the Control Flames cantrip lets you change the color of the light. Not super useful, but thematic.

TundraBuccaneer
2018-04-27, 06:02 AM
Unless your set on the other spells from magic Initiate , the warlock also gets magic stone. So if you want you can have more cha based spells

Beechgnome
2018-04-27, 07:14 AM
Unless your set on the other spells from magic Initiate , the warlock also gets magic stone. So if you want you can have more cha based spells

Well...I can't get Faerie fire from the base warlock, but... If I take one level of Feylock, I can get magic stone and Faerie fire and swap out guidance for Green-flame blade, then take control flames to replace GFB in my sorcerer cantrips...then I can dump Wisdom in favor of more Dex/Con. Plus I get a nice 1st level ability that fits the character. And I free up a feat for, say, spell sniper or warcaster. Ok, then.

Deox
2018-04-27, 07:15 AM
Going against popular opinion, Shadow may actually work.

Thematically, I can envision using Eyes of the Dark to "set the stage". Setting a back-drop, if you will, to let your scintillating colours (stars, globes, etc.) really pop. I admit, the Strength of the Grave feature is a little odd, though could be put to good use with some trickery. Hound of Ill Omen is essentially free metamagic. Shadow Walk can help put yourself into advantageous positioning for additional "light shows". Finally, Umbral Form, to me, lets you actually become a part of your light show.

Beechgnome
2018-04-27, 07:51 AM
Going against popular opinion, Shadow may actually work.

Thematically, I can envision using Eyes of the Dark to "set the stage". Setting a back-drop, if you will, to let your scintillating colours (stars, globes, etc.) really pop. I admit, the Strength of the Grave feature is a little odd, though could be put to good use with some trickery. Hound of Ill Omen is essentially free metamagic. Shadow Walk can help put yourself into advantageous positioning for additional "light shows". Finally, Umbral Form, to me, lets you actually become a part of your light show.

There is a kind of... In the beginning, there was darkness, then there was light... feel to that. And also something cool about casting darkness in an area and then blasting it with meteors and stars. Like a planetarium light show.

Deox
2018-04-27, 08:05 AM
There is a kind of... In the beginning, there was darkness, then there was light... feel to that. And also something cool about casting darkness in an area and then blasting it with meteors and stars. Like a planetarium light show.

That's exactly the kind of feel I was getting. Almost like a "cosmos" type effect.