PDA

View Full Version : Playing an eladrin before tome of foes, what should I do?

Rfkannen
2018-04-26, 06:23 PM
So next week im starting a campaign were i am going to be playing an eladrin, i really like the season thing and it fits the character, but I know soon after mordenkainen will come out, and the stats will be diffrent.

What would you do? My best idea right now is to just play an elf with no subrace except the ability to short rest teleport, no ability increase or anything, and add the rest when the book comes out. What would you do?

Honest Tiefling
2018-04-26, 06:26 PM
Well, I assume your DM okayed this. Did they not have a plan in mind? I would seriously consider asking them.

The UA is out for Eladrin. Given how chaotic that thing is, I'd probably just use those stats and claim that the character changes because fey later. Fey don't need no stinking consistency or logic.

Rfkannen
2018-04-26, 06:34 PM
Well, I assume your DM okayed this. Did they not have a plan in mind? I would seriously consider asking them.

The UA is out for Eladrin. Given how chaotic that thing is, I'd probably just use those stats and claim that the character changes because fey later. Fey don't need no stinking consistency or logic.

I said I wanted to play an eladrin, and my idea, and she thought it would woek, want your guys thoughts though on weather my 8dea was good.

That's an interesting idea actually, makes a fair amount of senae.

Honest Tiefling
2018-04-26, 06:38 PM
Alternate Ideas:

1) Play a high elf, call it an Eladrin

2) Homebrew your own, with DM permission.

3) Use the DMG/UA and don't factor in what happens after.

Personally, I think Number 3 or the first post I made are the best, as the DMG eladrin is alright, but not great. The UA version has a lot of interesting flavor that I personally quite like. Not having a ability increase will be wonky and in my opinion, a little harder to retcon in. (They could just have different ability scores then the average Eladrin...Like most adventurers.)

AHF
2018-04-26, 06:39 PM
Or you could agree with the DM and then just stick with what you've agreed to. The current stats for the eladrin don't strike me as gamebreaking if you were to stick with them even after the newest material comes out.

Temperjoke
2018-04-26, 06:43 PM
I would just be willing to be flexible and update your character with the changes that will come with the book. A lot of times, racial abilities have a limited impact on your class play style, maybe adjust which cantrips/spells you know if they're duplicated by the changes.