PDA

View Full Version : 5e Monastic Surgeon

Ogrillian
2018-04-27, 09:35 AM
5e Monk Subclass

A friend of mine sent me this let me know, I like it only healer is the WotOH and it’s self heal

Monastic Surgeon
Many monasteries have a long tradition in healing and you have trained to end pain and suffering. And to seek out justice against those who spread it. You automatically gain an herbalism kit and proficiency in Medicine.

LVL3 Healing Ki - You’ve spent countless hours using Ki to help steady the patient, you can now use it directly to heal! As an action spend 2 Ki points to cast Cure Wounds at the 2nd LVL. Spell lvl increases by 1 every other monk level (max lvl6)
- Ki of Life - Life is the most precious thing there is to healers, and Undead are the most Taboo of existence! All healing spells/skills deal their points in radiant damage to Undead

Clean Body LVL6, Your study of medicine and Ki has taught you how to strengthen your body to the best shape, and notice the weaknesses in others. Increase Martial Arts die and hit die by 1(roll a d10 for hitpoints now).

Apothecary Ki - at Lvl 11 Countless hours of using Ki during medicinal herbalism has allowed your Ki to mimic essence of certain herbs. Use an action and 2Ki points to change up to 3 flasks of non-magical/hazardous liquid into a Potion of Healing that lasts for 1day, can increase rarity. Ki costs go up by 2 each time to increase potion rarity (max increase 2). Affected by Ki of Life.

Surgeon’s Wrath Lvl17 You’ve told yourself that you can’t save everyone, but that doesn’t stop it from affecting you, now you’ll let them know how it’s feels. As an action, choose a creature friendly to you that you can see within 30 feet. Spending 4 Ki the target recovers up to 60 hit points, and is healed of any non-magical diseases, and of any conditions, such as blinded, poisoned, etc., caused by non-magical disease or injury. (A creature that is blinded because it is in an area of magical darkness, for instance, would not be cured.)

In addition, choose another creature you can see within 30 feet. The secondary target must make on a Constitution saving throw against your ki save DC. The secondary target takes necrotic damage equal to the hit points recovered by the primary target and is afflicted with the diseases and conditions removed from the primary target on a failed save, or half the necrotic damage with no additional effect on a successful one.

And not part of class but.....

Lvl20 You now contain a body of Pure Ki attuned to the universe! Short rest fully restores Ki and meditation gives +4 temp Ki (What PHB Lvl 20 should be 😁!)

Composer99
2018-04-27, 03:33 PM
5e Monk Subclass

A friend of mine sent me this let me know, I like it only healer is the WotOH and it’s self heal

Monastic Surgeon
Many monasteries have a long tradition in healing and you have trained to end pain and suffering. And to seek out justice against those who spread it.[/QUOTE]

Interesting subclass. I think there's a pretty solid archetype in here, but it needs work to dig down and find it.

(Before going on any further, I should mention any use of 'you' is me speaking generally, since you've indicated someone else is the actual creator of this archetype.)

As an overall remark, I would say that the features should be reviewed with a view to cleaning up the "crunch text" wording, both for clarity and for function.

Also, some of the anachronistic surgical references in the feature names are just... wrong. At least, they are if you're assuming a medieval-ish fantasy setting as the default. More on that with each individual feature.

Surgical Ki - You’ve spent countless hours using tools and Ki to sew people back up, you can now just use Ki instead! Spend 2 Ki points to heal your self or any living thing you touch your Martial Arts die+monk level.

Also years of training have let you know what’s best for the human body. If your healing target is human or Humanoid add WIS modifier to score, including potions (Becomes all Large or smaller creatures of living flesh and blood at LVL9). Add to all Medicine checks as well.

What action do you need to take to use the first paragraph of this feature? I'm assuming an action. I would recommend changing the wording as follows:

As an action, you can spend 2 ki points to touch a living creature, including yourself. The target recovers hit points equal to the roll of your Martial Arts die + your monk level, up to its hit point maximum.

Healing is generally considered to be a pretty underpowered use of your actions in combat, though, so you could probably allow this feature as a bonus action and it would be fine - although monks have enough to do with their bonus actions, so even then, it could still be underpowered compared to the alternatives.

The second paragraph is a bit of a mess. From context, the first clause of the second sentence appears to apply to the ability you get in the first paragraph. Is that correct? The part about potions doesn't really make sense in context, and doesn't make sense as part of this ability, anyway, because you're using your ki to heal others by touch, not by administering a potion. The final sentence is superfluous, since you add your Wisdom modifier to Medicine checks by default.

Finally, your subclass shouldn't presume the adventurer taking it is a human who will treat humans, so you can just excise reference to humans specifically. In fact, since you're using ki (aka magic) to heal, and not surgery, there's no need to assume you have to be familiar with the anatomy of your target to get the extra healing, so I would either just let everyone add your Wisdom bonus to the hit points they regain, or leave it out entirely - that is, everyone gets it, or no one does.

Hypocritical Oath - At Lvl6 You’re skills in medicine and surgery have helped you know where to strengthen the body to heal, and conversely where it’s weakest. As long as it is on living Humanoid targets (Becomes all Large or smaller creatures of living flesh and blood at 11) Martial arts Die increases by 1 on hit.

Do you mean the Hippocratic Oath (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippocratic_Oath), by any chance? As a name for the feature, it's really anachronistic, and is even less sensible when you consider the content of the Oath itself versus the feature's effect (which is to improve your Martial Arts die for both damage and healing).

This feature, I think, is going to founder in play. First, consider the case of corporeal undead. They might not be using their anatomies, but they have them, and most of them were probably medium-sized humanoids before becoming undead. Shouldn't you benefit from this feature against them?

Second, while I believe strictly speaking, most extraplanar creatures are "living flesh and blood", that could be a matter of DM fiat. All the more so since I don't believe it's rigorously defined in the Monster Manual.

Overall, this feature could stand to go back to the drawing board.

Code Blue - Lvl 11 Countless lives have been held in your hands, literally. You can tell when someone has truly passed or is hanging on by the hair of a fly’s wing. If any ally dies within 10 feet of you, you can immediately spend your reaction and 8 Ki points to revive ally with 1/4 total hit points.

Even the earliest resurrect effect, the spell revivify (http://5e.d20srd.org/srd/spells/revivify.htm), costs 300 gp, has a casting time of 1 action, and it only restores a creature to 1 hit point. At 11th level, adventuring parties are getting access to 6th-level spells. There's no 6th-level resurrect-type spell to my knowledge, but for 5th-level spells, there's raise dead (http://5e.d20srd.org/srd/spells/raiseDead.htm), which takes an hour to cast, costs 500 gp in material components, and restores a creature to 1 hit point.

All that's to say that a feature that restores creatures to life from death for 8 ki points (a resource that recharges on a short rest), requires a reaction to use, and restores an ally to 1/4 their hit point maximum is ridiculously overpowered.

However, by contrast, it's much easier to justify reacting to a creature getting reduced to 0 hit points. I mean, there's a cantrip (https://www.5thsrd.org/spellcasting/spells/spare_the_dying/) that lets you stabilise creatures at 0 hit points as an action, so at 11th level there's no problem getting to spend 8 ki and a reaction to allow an ally who has just been reduced to 0 hit points (and who hasn't been killed outright) to suddenly recover hit points, thus staying in the action.

Also, the feature's name needs to change, desperately.

(Parenthetically, while the healing by a quarter of their hit point maximum isn't hard to figure out, that sort of thing just doesn't seem to be a thing 5e, although it was a healing surge in 4e. I'd consider changing the healing to being about equivalent to casting cure wounds from, say, a 3rd- or 4th-level spell slot, seeing as you're going to get to use this feature once per short rest at 11th level, and will only get to use it twice per short rest at 16th.)

Surgeon’s Wrath LVL17 - You’ve told yourself that you can’t save everyone, but that doesn’t stop it from affecting you, now you’ll let them know how it’s feels. Spend 4 ki points to select an ally and deal half the damage taken from their total HP — current HP & transfer negative effects* (if ally’s afflicted) to an enemy. *non magical diseases, bleeding, poison, mute, stunned, blind, and deafened.

Feels pretty meh for a 17th-level feature. By contrast, Open Hand monks get Quivering Palm, Shadow Monks get fancy opportunity attacks (itself a pretty 'meh' feature at 17th level, I'll be honest, however mechanically effective it might be), and Elements monks can do things like cast stoneskin, cone of cold, or wall of fire/stone.

Part of the problem with this feature might be that it just seems really fiddly.

Ogrillian
2018-04-28, 06:08 AM
I now some of this needs work but he was hoping for a healer type Monk, and thought some of it worked (I like lvl 17 yes it’s fiddly but it also plays to more healer than fighter, if you compare to skills other than WotOH, not much else can yield total damage and we originally played 3.5 in the early 90’s as kids used to fiddly. Will let him know about skill changes any other suggestions? Our party has a rouge, fighter, cleric and two Monk classes. I’m using my Fist of the Wargod Monk (home brew) to back up the fighter and Rogue was wanting something to help back up cleric.

Composer99
2018-04-28, 10:42 AM
So, after a good night's sleep, I've thought of a suggested revision to retain the essential quality of the 17th level feature as it's written now, while bringing it closer to the 5e design ethos.

As an action, choose a creature friendly to you that you can see within 30 feet. The target recovers up to 60 hit points, and is healed of any non-magical diseases, and of any conditions, such as blinded, poisoned, etc., caused by non-magical disease or injury. (A creature that is blinded because it is in an area of magical darkness, for instance, would not be so cured.)

In addition, choose another creature you can see within 30 feet. The secondary target must make on a Constitution saving throw against your ki save DC. The secondary target takes necrotic damage equal to the hit points recovered by the primary target and is afflicted with the diseases and conditions removed from the primary target on a failed save, or half the necrotic damage with no additional effect on a successful one.

This is a bit more powerful, stays within the theme of double edged healing/damage, and clarifies what is going on.

I leave it to you to decide whether this will cost ki (I would guess that with the healing, it's a bit better than quivering palm, so the 4 ki cost you originally had would be fine) or have some other recharge mechanic.

Since you get this at 17th, I also don't think it's a problem that it's basically an upgrade on the heal spell.

Ogrillian
2018-04-29, 07:24 AM
Love it will repost shortly we’ve been doing a lot of work