PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions to play a Wizard for first time

Meyer90
2018-04-27, 09:50 AM
Hi all, as stated on the title, i never played a wizard. i'd like to have some hints about the way to use it especially in battle. "Best" spells, hints about change game on some situations. Don't know, everything. I always had the impression and heard people considering a good Wizard like a "god" but never tried to actually play it. I know it is a real dumb and noob question but thank you anyway.

KOLE
2018-04-27, 09:57 AM
So, this is a little bit of cheese, and your DM may hate it, but if you want to go straight wizard, Inhighly reccomend going fighter level 1 for heavy armor and profiecency in Con saving throws, which will help your concentration. Maybe even grab a second level for action surge. Just my .02. Be sure to boost your strength for plate if you go this royte.

sophontteks
2018-04-27, 10:00 AM
Read this guide well. Treeantmonk really goes into detail about how wizards can shape the battlefield.
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?450158-Treantmonk-s-Guide-to-Wizards-5e

Marvnmartian
2018-04-27, 10:47 AM
what kole said but I would pick cleric as my level 1 and tbh i wouldn't even wear heavy armor use a shield and wand and studded leather and go high elf the +2 to dex and all the other elf goodness will give you a 15-16 ac to start out with and if you had a good roll maybe more.

Spells, obvious pickups, Alarm(r), Find Familiar***, Comprehend Languages(r), Detect Magic(r),Identify(r),Sleep(for first 3 levels),Web,Mirror Image,Invisibility, Scorching ray, Shield, Slow,Leomunds tiny hut(r),Major Image, Fireball, Fly, Haste, Animate Dead, Banishment, Greater invisibility, Poly-morph, Dimension Door, Animate Object, Mass suggestion, Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion, Plane Shift, Force Cage, Simulacrum, Demiplane, Maze, Clone, Prismatic Wall, Meteor Swarm, True Polymorph, Wish,

Now a few of these need explanations. First off get all rituals ever into eternity always, k good.

Major image is great once you can cast it as a 6th level spell and it becomes permanent, I have used this as disadvantage bait and sometimes when facing lower intelligence foes they will waste an action inspecting the thing that has appeared be it a mammoth that we hide behind a spiked wall with heads of their friends on spikes etc

Animate dead.. I know, I know... Its Evil! Change your alignment blah blah who gives a ****, meat puppets to take blows open traps and shoot arrows at people are always a good mechanical benefit.

Animate object, Carry 10 daggers at all times and bam this 5th level spell can do 10d4+40 damage per turn for ten turns as well as have a chance of the people the daggers are attacking taking swipes at them instead of your party do it.. just do it.

Clone/Demiplane/Wish At high levels this is the combo that will save your party in a lot of situations Wish for a clone stash them in a demiplane do so for your entire party and go about your merry day until one of your friends bites the dust

Prismatic Wall Basically a 10 minute bubble of immunity lock your enemies in it or yourselves with your enemies to deal with any pesky runners

2D6GREATAXE
2018-04-27, 11:30 AM
Read this guide well. Treeantmonk really goes into detail about how wizards can shape the battlefield.
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?450158-Treantmonk-s-Guide-to-Wizards-5e

I recently started a wizard and also used this guide. Its good.

othaero
2018-04-27, 02:28 PM
First thing you should do is decide what kind of wizard you want to play; Damage, Battlefield control, Buff/Debuff.
Then pick your spells around that. When picking cantrips it is always a good idea to pick 1 melee and 1 range damage cantrip that way you always have an option during combat. If you don't focus on damage your cantrips will always be viable due to their scaling. Also remember rituals are you friend. If you can spend the 10mins+ to cast it you will get the most mileage out of your slots. Remember too that you can scribe scrolls (if you have the time and money) so you can further increase your power. A lot of people I play with seem to forget this.

When picking spells don't make the mistake of getting all Concentration spells. Try to spread it out over spell attack rolls, ones that require a save, concentration. Also look to see what spells will benefit your party. Sure you could throw a fireball but your fighter probably get better milleage out of Hold Person on the Baddie or having Haste cast on them.

Final piece of advice. If you are concentrating on a spell that is super important don't be afraid to take the Dodge action. Sure you could throw out a firebolt for some damage but maybe the rest of your team is depending on that fog cloud to keep the enemy archers from accurately hitting them.

Just remember, A good wizard is a team-player.

Meyer90
2018-04-27, 02:43 PM
First thing you should do is decide what kind of wizard you want to play; Damage, Battlefield control, Buff/Debuff.
Then pick your spells around that. When picking cantrips it is always a good idea to pick 1 melee and 1 range damage cantrip that way you always have an option during combat. If you don't focus on damage your cantrips will always be viable due to their scaling. Also remember rituals are you friend. If you can spend the 10mins+ to cast it you will get the most mileage out of your slots. Remember too that you can scribe scrolls (if you have the time and money) so you can further increase your power. A lot of people I play with seem to forget this.

When picking spells don't make the mistake of getting all Concentration spells. Try to spread it out over spell attack rolls, ones that require a save, concentration. Also look to see what spells will benefit your party. Sure you could throw a fireball but your fighter probably get better milleage out of Hold Person on the Baddie or having Haste cast on them.

Final piece of advice. If you are concentrating on a spell that is super important don't be afraid to take the Dodge action. Sure you could throw out a firebolt for some damage but maybe the rest of your team is depending on that fog cloud to keep the enemy archers from accurately hitting them.

Just remember, A good wizard is a team-player.

Thank you, probably i should be more focused on control and debuff because i should play with a lot other players. Paladin, Cleric, Fighter, Sorcerer, Bard and Rogue. It looks great to take a first level of Cleric or Fighter for good ac and other good stuff like fighter's CON proficiency. But i'm starting at level 1 and they're almost 3 so i don't know. A good thing is that i rolled good stats at least 17,17,16,15,14,9. And i was a little "afraid" of the action to take when i run out of spells or what to do while preventing to run out of spells...I'll be the worst wiz ever probably :smallcool::smallcool:

sophontteks
2018-04-27, 03:00 PM
You won't be chain casting spells. You'll pretty much be casting 1-2 spells that can significantly alter the encounter and relying on cantrips outside of that. I wouldn't recommend fighter because your party is so big. It shouldn't be so hard for you to avoid being in the front line. There's plenty of people to help protect you.

JeffreyGator
2018-04-27, 04:09 PM
With your stats, I recommend the high elf.

18 int and dex, 17 con, 15 wis. You can decide where you want the 14 and the 9. I would likely pick str for the 14 since you have 3 cha types talking in the party.

4 cantrips: (do you have scag?) Booming blade or green flame blade, minor illusion.
Frost bite at ranged to give out debuffs.

Mage armor, unseen servant, find familiar, shield, +4 more definitely think on rituals.

You have 17 AC with mage armor + shield if needed.

Your owl helps you have advantage on attacks with melee or a long bow at range.

Meyer90
2018-04-27, 04:14 PM
With your stats, I recommend the high elf.

18 int and dex, 17 con, 15 wis. You can decide where you want the 14 and the 9. I would likely pick str for the 14 since you have 3 cha types talking in the party.

4 cantrips: (do you have scag?) Booming blade or green flame blade, minor illusion.
Frost bite at ranged to give out debuffs.

Mage armor, unseen servant, find familiar, shield, +4 more definitely think on rituals.

You have 17 AC with mage armor + shield if needed.

Your owl helps you have advantage on attacks with melee or a long bow at range.

Thank you, unfortunately i can use only core manuals. So no scag nor ee

DeadMech
2018-04-27, 04:29 PM
A good assortment of spells is the best advice. Enemies come in all sorts. Some are immune to fire, some are almost unbeatable without it, some have great wisdom saves, some don't, some come at you a dozen at a time, some could single handedly fight off a party of a half dozen. All of them have their own strengths and weaknesses like the spells you use to counter them all have strengths and weaknesses. If you don't know exactly what's coming you are going to want to cover your bases. Spread out the spells you prepare some of them AOE, some of them single target, some of them utility, targeting as many different saves and elements as you can.

Make flashcards for your spells or have them written out somewhere you can organize them. It helps to know what you have in your spell book. Keep the ones prepared separate. If you have a buff or battlefield control have it out where everyone can see it so they can remember it's ongoing effects. Also have your spell slots written down somewhere and in a way you can pencil them off as you use them up.

At the level you start at you are the very definition of squishy. When traveling stick to the center of the party. Don't exit town without first casting mage armor. One of your first level spell slots is for nothing but your 8 hours of traveling and adventuring... just never uncross it off. And never leave home without shield prepared. In a big party like yours its less likely enemies will get to you if you keep yourself safe but eventually you are going to catch an arrow in the chest or something and nothing anyone in the party can do is going to be able to prevent it. Your first level spell slots exist pretty much for nothing but mage armor and shield.

Conserving spellslots is important. You'll eventually adapt to the party's pace and the DM's adventuring day length but to start it doesn't hurt to lean to the side of caution. Attack cantrips like firebolt are pretty great consistent damage you can toss out every round of combat if you aren't sure you want to do anything else. Likewise spells like flaming sphere can be tossed out at the start of combat and used throughout with your otherwise unspent bonus actions to apply relatively minor but consistent pressure to the enemy through the entire fight. Both in chip damage and in area denial. All at the cost of only one relatively low level spell slot.

The stats you rolled are pretty great. I'm jealous. Can't go wrong with high elf. Int as your 17 becomes a 19. Then either dex or con as the other 17. 16 for whichever was left. Strength for your dump stat at 9 won't hurt much but you are certainly free to do whatever you like. First Ability Score Improvement will probably go to +1int and +1 something else or one of the +1int half feats to round out your bonuses. Despite what people say regularly, getting your primary stat to 20 is critical. Int determines your spellsave DC. Nothing sucks more than spending that one big spell slot targeting that one big enemy with that one spell that will absolutely wreck it's day... only to watch it beat your spellsave DC, quickly followed by watching it beat the fighter or the rogue to a bloody pulp no doubt.

Warcaster or Resilient Con are both great feats you can take instead of an ASI. You almost never need both though. Keeping concentrating is important but not two feats important. I lean to resilient con myself. After that you're probably golden to do whatever you want with your remaining ASI's as you level up. Topping up on more Dex or Con. Maybe some fun feats. You're pretty much set so go wild.

Some people compare wizards to god or batman. Always pulling the right trick out of their belt at the right time to win encounters almost singlehandedly. On paper it's possible maybe but in practice it's harder or downright impossible. We're human, we make mistakes, we don't have perfect information to know what's coming. But sometimes if you do your job right, no one is even sure if you did anything at all. Spell casters don't have to kill the enemy or banish them from this plane of existence or whatever. You're part of a team. Advantaging your ally or disadvantaging the enemy at the right time will let your team stick swords through the people you want swords stuck through.

Oh and buy a healers kit, they're cheap. Sometimes the best use of your turn is stabilizing someone instead of throwing fire.

BillyBobShorton
2018-04-27, 04:44 PM
I agree with Kole because Con Saves are crucial to any caster. Also heavy armor=less hits. Less hits=less chances to need that save, but you have the proficiency if needed. Also-take the Warcaster Feat as soon as you can. Heavy Armor, proficiency in saves, and advantage on saves means most concentration spells will stay until YOU want to end them.

Spell-wise: early on, definitely take magic missile (auto damage), Shield (reaction for avoiding hits), and Find Familiar-ritual and ridiculously useful for utility, scouting, etc. and in-combat (aid/help grants advantage to an attack roll). I'd grab at least 1 offensive cantrip (firebolt always does the trick) and one utility. Minor Illusion can be amazing in clever hands. Grab a 500 gp diamond (I think that's the component?) as soon as you can because Chromatic Orb is wicked throughout your tiers as a mage.

Subclass-I like Divination for the portents. 2 dice seems meh when you read it but in play, being able to guarantee a hit is HUGE. Either the Tank lands that much needed crushing blow or you can know ahead of time that Chromatic Orb or somthing will hit its mark. And the low dice are equally awesome. Being able to force a fail on something like fireball or some mind-screwing spell is EXTREMELY powerful.

Hope that helps.

DeadMech
2018-04-27, 04:50 PM
Some more advice I just remembered. At some point you will be exploring a dungeon and see a treasure chest, or you'll be fighting through a castle and see a bookcase, or you'll just have defeated an enemy and you are sure they have some juicy piece of loot on their corpse... never be the person who jumps on and hugs the treasure chest it's probably a mimic. I watched it happen to someone playing a wizard once. Literally jumped ontop top of, draped himself over and hugged a mimic. It wasn't pretty but it was quick. If you aren't 100% sure something is safe then don't touch it. Mage hand and unseen servant exist. And honestly if you just wait long enough the rogue or the fighter will probably make out with the mimic or set off the trap or pick up and put on the cursed scarf of strangulation. Just stand a good... oh 30' back if you can.

It doesn't matter if the bookcase might have a spellbook full of rituals you've always wanted, or if the dead boss might have had a cloak of protection you've been drooling over, or if the chest is full of dubloons... if you're dead you don't get to enjoy it.

tatsuyashiba
2018-04-27, 08:02 PM

This is the best advice. Read the Treantmonk guide.

In fact, if you did any googling, I’m surprised you didn’t already come across it. Treantmonk has been the de facto wizard expert since 3.5. There’s a podcast out there where he’s interviewed.

Not that you should do everything he says, but it’s a great place to start. Personally I love multiclassing with level 1 as a fighter for more HP, Con save, and armor proficiency, and then going wizard rest of the way. Also I favor the Alertness feat over the first Int ASI, because going first is so critical from a battlefield control perspective.

sophontteks
2018-04-27, 09:03 PM
Some more advice I just remembered. At some point you will be exploring a dungeon and see a treasure chest, or you'll be fighting through a castle and see a bookcase, or you'll just have defeated an enemy and you are sure they have some juicy piece of loot on their corpse... never be the person who jumps on and hugs the treasure chest it's probably a mimic. I watched it happen to someone playing a wizard once. Literally jumped ontop top of, draped himself over and hugged a mimic. It wasn't pretty but it was quick. If you aren't 100% sure something is safe then don't touch it. Mage hand and unseen servant exist. And honestly if you just wait long enough the rogue or the fighter will probably make out with the mimic or set off the trap or pick up and put on the cursed scarf of strangulation. Just stand a good... oh 30' back if you can.

It doesn't matter if the bookcase might have a spellbook full of rituals you've always wanted, or if the dead boss might have had a cloak of protection you've been drooling over, or if the chest is full of dubloons... if you're dead you don't get to enjoy it.
I'd laugh if I wasn't nearly killed doing something similar.

lilika
2018-04-27, 10:38 PM
Big fan of treeantmonk's guide, not a fan of 1st lvl fighter dip, Spells are your friend and at every odd lvl you will be missing out on a higher lvl spell, and even even numbers you will have 1 less spell of the highest lvl that you have. For example when you are lvl 5 and spent one lvl of fighter you will still be casting fairly crappy lvl 2 spells. Even at lvl 6, if for example you like fireballs, you will be casting 1 less fireball per day because you took a lvl of fighter.

If you want a high AC then go Bladesinger and keep all your spell progression. Just saying imo spell progression is king and I can't think of a lvl where I would rather have a higher armor class, and some hit points, if con save is a huge issue take it at lvl 12, or earlier if you don't mind being one lvl slower on saves. I'm pretty sure Bladesinger gives you some help with that too.

lilika
2018-04-27, 10:41 PM
I'd laugh if I wasn't nearly killed doing something similar.

Mage hand, Unseen Servant or Big Stupid Fighter type's :). My wizards always took as many ritual spells as I could so I didn't have to waste my spell slots if I cast them as rituals. Find Familar, Unseen Servant, Comprehend Languages, Tenser's Floating Disk, detect magic, Leomolds (sp) Tiny Hut, these are great spells btw and casting them as rituals does not take away from spells per day.

Joe dirt
2018-04-27, 11:01 PM
Go rock gnome... they advantage against spells and boost to con and int.... also get as high a con and int as u can, u need the HP and the concentration.

As far as specialty, depends on ur play style I prefer conjuration. Use the rock gnome artificer lore to conjure a small 3x3 box u can get in... because ur small and use that to protect urself in combat. Plus later u get a free misty step that u can use every time u cast a conjuration spell... extra movement is always nice to get out of hot situations

Take spells that give u extra actions find familiar... for the help action or get a bat for seeing invisible things.... Unseen servant, tell the servant to follow u and if u fall then feed u a potion of healing, that sort of thing.. they are also useful for finding traps... go into the trap filled room and "clean"

djreynolds
2018-04-28, 01:56 PM
Sit with the DM and ask him, "will scrolls be available for purchase", "Will we find scrolls,"

IMO, you power and the party's power is that spell book, try to obtain as many as you can. At every merchant, or library, or wherever ask to purchase spells. Take persuasion as a skill to help out, if you can fit it in

It will cost money of course, but having those spells is huge.

I try always to see myself as an adventurer first and wizard second, your robes will get dirty

But a spell book with lots of spells really will help out the entire party.

I love to buff up the rogue to enhance their skill set

Your ability to have the right spell at the right time is crucial, its not all about blowing things up.

Try to always have prepared plenty of reaction spells like shield or feather fall, absorb elements

Try to have movement spells like fly, levitate, teleport, anything

Try to have spells for defense, mage armor, shield, protection from this or that

Have spells for attack not just elemental spells, hypnotic wave, charm, sleep, anything that keys on wisdom as you will find many monsters will be immune to fire or cold and such

And grab up ritual spells