PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Arcane Archer Request for Build Help Thread

00Singin00
2018-04-27, 11:17 AM
Hey everybody.

So here's a quick breakdown. I saw an amazing drawing of what I thought was a Halfling Archer (defined as "female gnome archer" when googled The one with the top hat) when I was trying to find artwork for a Ghostwise Halfling. Then I decided to make a character based on the artwork because I thought the art was brilliant! I rolled up the stats, and got accepted to a PbP game faster than I had time to research any Arcane Archer build ideas. That being said, I'm currently at Level 3 with the following stats:

Str 8
Dex 17
Con 14
Int 14
Wis 11
Chr 10

The Arcane Shot options I took were Bursting Arrow and Shadow Arrow.

The original idea behind the character was to take the Seeking Arrow, and use my small size to hide and fire off arrows from cover, while taunting the enemy with the Ghostwise's ability to mindspeech. I've altered that a bit since I realized you only get two Arcane Shots between rests. Now, I want to try and build somebody that fires often, moreso than huge burst damage in a single shot (ala sneak attack).

Due to the way I set my stats up before any research, I've limited myself to how I can multiclass. My main focus is to get as many attacks as I can in a turn, regardless of it being Arcane Shots. What would you suggest would be my best route to go for planning this Character, in regards to Feats, and possibly the more difficult route to multiclass?

All help is appreciated, thank you kindly.

thoroughlyS
2018-04-27, 02:13 PM
Arcane Archer 5/Hunter 5/Arcane Archer +10

Dipping into the Hunter Conclave can get you Horde Breaker which seems like exactly the kind of thing you're looking for. Taking Hunter to 5th level gets you 2nd level spells (ask your DM if you can have bonus spells like the new Conclaves). I also recommend asking if you can lower your Dexterity to 16 and raise your Wisdom to 13, which makes getting into Ranger easier.

Kuulvheysoon
2018-04-27, 02:23 PM
I might make the argument that you hit 7th level first - that bonus action redirect of a missed attack can be awesome, effectively getting you another attack, especially if you're using Sharpshooter (which going Fighter 7 will get you with that extra ASI at 6th level).

thoroughlyS
2018-04-27, 02:59 PM
I might make the argument that you hit 7th level first - that bonus action redirect of a missed attack can be awesome, effectively getting you another attack, especially if you're using Sharpshooter (which going Fighter 7 will get you with that extra ASI at 6th level).
Honestly, after Arcane Archer 5 the break points seem less obvious than for other builds. Every level feels like it offers something good (with the exception of Ranger 1, unless you used revised ranger). I don't really think order matters much for getting Fighter 6-8 and Ranger 2-5. My recommendation was based purely on wanting to get more attacks.

Quoz
2018-04-27, 03:10 PM
I know it often comes up in these threads, but it's worth asking - have you considered battlemaster? The superiority damage is lower than arcane shot, but you get twice as many uses, which can mean twice as many riders. It is also compatible with more weapons. A small arcane archer can only choose shortbow. Battlemaster gets any choice, including backup melee weapons and thrown weapons but most importantly hand crossbows. Crossbow expertise allows bonus action shots and point blank ranged attacks without disadvantage, both of which sound right up your alley.

If you're looking to multiclass, any rogue (cunning action to hide as a bonus action) or gloom stalker (extra shot in first round, hunter's mark) are both solid picks.

Vogie
2018-04-27, 03:43 PM
If you do decide to increase your wisdom with your next ASI:

3 levels into Deep Stalker / Gloom Stalker Ranger will give you an additional attack in your first turn, as well as making you effectively resistant to darkvision.
3 levels into Colossal Hunter Ranger or Horizon Walker Ranger will increase your damage
3 levels into Primeval Guardian ranger will increase your damage AND your size :)
1 level of War Cleric will allow you to use the occasional bonus action as an extra attack
1 level of Forge Cleric will allow you to give +1 to either your weapon (and make it magical) or your AC
3 Levels of Monk will give you a speed boost and allow you to deflect missiles. Shadow monk will give you access to darkness, darkvision, & pass without trace; Kensai Monk will allow you to channel Ki into more damage; Tranquility Monk will give you minor healing abilities and self-sanctuary

Otherwise, with that Int score, you may think about grabbing some Wizard utility. In addition to spells, 2 levels in War Wizard will give you a reactionary boost to either AC or Saving throws; alternatively, 2 levels in Divination wizard allows you a type of Pseudo-Super-Advantage that can be used each long rest.