PDA

View Full Version : What Would You Change: Fighter

Specter
2018-04-27, 01:16 PM
We're back on the series of nagging, this time with the relentless swordsman (bowman? You get it).

BASE
Indomitable: Long rest recharge seems like very little. Would short rest recharge be too long?

Level 13: Something else has to happen. Level 9 is kinda meh, but level 13 is just something you already have, but twice. I feel like a toughness bonus a la Half-Orc is in order here.

CHAMPION
Remarkable Athlete: add "if you're already proficient in the check you're attempting, add half your proficiency bonus again".

BATTLEMASTER
Relentless: gain 2 dice instead of 1 when out of gas. This class feature is too lame and may not even be used in the adventuring day, so it needs a boost.

PURPLE DRAGON KNIGHT
Rellying Cry: give bonus HP equal to the amount you get (fighter level + 1d10), to all allies within 60 feet of you. If you're getting a class feature you can use only once per rest, it better be memorable.
Inspiring Surge: change "one attack" to "one action". Ditto above.

That's all for me, whaddyathink?

GlenSmash!
2018-04-27, 01:22 PM
I think you're changes are pretty small and nothing that would break the class. They look pretty good even.

However I'm also super lazy and since the Fighter works well enough as it is I'm going to not change anything :smallbiggrin:

DeAnno
2018-04-27, 01:24 PM
Relentless: gain 2 dice instead of 1 when out of gas. This class feature is too lame and may not even be used in the adventuring day, so it needs a boost.

In general the Dice-using Fighters are the best ones and you could argue they don't need the help, even if the @15 is garbage. If you want to boost it though, I think it's better for it to just be consistently useful. If you roll initiative and don't have your maximum number of dice, gain one back.

Specter
2018-04-27, 03:12 PM
In general the Dice-using Fighters are the best ones and you could argue they don't need the help, even if the @15 is garbage. If you want to boost it though, I think it's better for it to just be consistently useful. If you roll initiative and don't have your maximum number of dice, gain one back.

Maneuvers are not bad, but there comes a time when they're just more of the same. Relentless doesn't help in most fights, and even when it does it's meh.

thoroughlyS
2018-04-27, 04:35 PM
Fighter

Bump hit die and second wind to 1d12. For "symmetry" (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21107227&postcount=20).
Replace archery fighting style with something else. +2 to attack is just too great. Unfortunately every idea I have involves removing penalties (e.g. no disadvantage within 5 feet, ignore cover) while the other fighting styles involve bonuses.
Buff protection fighting style, because it is very limited. "When a creature you can see attacks a target other than you, you can use your reaction to impose disadvantage on the attack roll. You must be within 5 feet of the attacker or the target."
Add throwing fighting style. "When you make a ranged attack with a thrown weapon, you can draw a weapon."
Make indomitable a short rest resource, but remove extra uses.
Add something at 13th level that doesn't impact the combat pillar of the game.
Move the second action surge to 20th level, to make room for extra attack.
Move extra attack (3) to 17th level, so that you get an attack at the start of each tier.

Battle Master

Apply the reach increase from lunging attack until the end of your turn. Clarify that this doesn't stack with itself.
Make parry synergize with riposte. "When another creature makes a melee attack against you, you can expend one superiority die, rolling the die and adding the number rolled to your AC against that attack."
Make sweeping attack deal the damage automatically. It will still be worse than green-flame blade.

Eldritch Knight

Let them summon both weapons from weapon bond if they want to. This is only useful to dual wielders, and I see no reason to make this subclass less viable for them.

Banneret

Remove the restriction to weapon attacks from inspiring surge. Let casters get in on the fun too.

Arcane Archer

Grant an additional use of arcane shot at 7th, 10th, and 15th level, but remove the damage bump at 18th level.
Move curving shot to 18th level.
These changes would produce the following damage curve.
https://i.imgur.com/6Ds1jX3.png

Add 1d6 damage to banishing arrow. It's the only shot where it may actually do nothing if the target makes their save.
Make grasping arrow have a Strength save/Athletics check to avoid the speed reduction and slashing damage. No save is a little much.
Bump the damage for seeking arrow to 2d6. The rider effect is rarely useful, and it only hits one target, unlike bursting or piercing.

Vogie
2018-04-27, 04:36 PM
I'd make the Arcane Shots scale better. Having the class feature deal the same damage at levels 3-17 then doubling at 18 is just... odd. Maybe get an a third shot at 13.

Same with Fighting Spirit for Samurai - having it locked at 3 for the entire time just seems odd, although Tireless Spirit comes much earlier than Ever-ready shot.

I'd like them to come out with the occasional new maneuvers and arcane shots.

I'd love to give Champion a feature that requires some sort of forethought, something resource-oriented that generates meaningful decisions.

Add throwing fighting style. "When you make a ranged attack with a thrown weapon, you can draw a weapon."

Eldritch Knight

Let them summon both weapons from weapon bond if they want to. This is only useful to dual wielders, and I see no reason to make this subclass less viable for them.

These are SO GOOD

Gilrad
2018-04-28, 03:59 AM
I'm not a huge fan of many Fighter builds basically being "spend all your feats and abilities on improving combat, cool out-of-combat tricks have to wait until you get your prerequisite feats out of the way".

I guess it's more the Feat system in 5e that bothers me more than anything else since almost every character gets to fourth level (or starts as a vuman specifically for this), and they pick up must-have feats for combat and push feats that support the other two pillars down the road.

It's a but more of an issue for fighters though because first, they have very few (and some masteries have almost none) abilities that support the other two pillars. Second, the lacking bonus/reaction abilities of many masteries kinda demand grabbing feats like PAM, HWM, shield mastery, and so on, just to they can make full use of their bonus actions and keep their reactions relevant.

What I would do:
-Remove all combat feats completely. Feats now only suppliment the other two pillars.

-Remove all fighting style abilities that use actions, move some former feat abilities that are static (don't use actions) to fighting styles.

-Move a lot of actions that are pretty simple to general combat abilities (e.g. anyone wielding a polearm can make a 1d4 offhand bashing attack just like they're dual wielding).

-All other abilities that involve actions are granted to classes as "weapon masteries", classes get different number of weapon masteries based off how reliant they are on them to fill out their bonus actions/reactions. Rogues get none because their BAs are already full. Fighters get the most. Champions get all of them eventually.

There. You no longer have to worry about stacking feats to get strong bonuses (like sharpshooter and archery style double-dipping on your ability to hit), because there is only one source of static bonuses, and getting more masteries just gives you more options in combat. No more ridiculous vhuman level 6 fighter just to get the PAM HWM sentinel combo online but being useless outside combat mechanically.

Wilb
2018-04-28, 04:53 AM
I'd change the Champion like this:

Remarkable athlete: ... At 10th level, add your full proficiency to checks, but only to two abilities among Constitution, Dexterity and Strength. At 14th level you gain expertise on skills from one of the two choices you took at 10th level.

Superior Critical (I'd change the name to something like superior combatant or something): would also allow you to add your Dex modifier to damage if your attack roll used Str and vice versa.

Survivor: would also make Indomitable work like Legendary resistance.

DracoKnight
2018-04-28, 05:47 AM
So many little things here and there, and I'm alltogether too tired to list them all properly here. Also, I haven't playtested most of them.

The two I have playtested and can vouch for are:

1) Fighter gets their final Extra Attack at 17th level. This keeps Warlock from out-performing them for 3 levels. But also, it just fits the power structure of 5e: classes get an offensive boost at 5th, 11th, and 17th level.
2) Their capstone is now the ability to Action Surge twice in the same round. Because I'm stupid and like puns, I called this feature "Ace of Blades."

Waazraath
2018-04-28, 06:39 AM
Fighter

Bump hit die and second wind to 1d12. For "symmetry" (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21107227&postcount=20).
Replace archery fighting style with something else. +2 to attack is just too great. Unfortunately every idea I have involves removing penalties (e.g. no disadvantage within 5 feet, ignore cover) while the other fighting styles involve bonuses.
Buff protection fighting style, because it is very limited. "When a creature you can see attacks a target other than you, you can use your reaction to impose disadvantage on the attack roll. You must be within 5 feet of the attacker or the target."
Make indomitable a short rest resource, but remove extra uses.
Add something at 13th level that doesn't impact the combat pillar of the game.
Move the second action surge to 20th level, to make room for extra attack.
Move extra attack (3) to 17th level, so that you get an attack at the start of each tier.

Battle Master

Apply the reach increase from lunging attack until the end of your turn.
Make parry synergize with Riposte. "On your turn, you can use a bonus action to ready yourself against oncoming attacks. Before the start of your next turn, you may expend one superiority die to add the number rolled to your AC against one attack."
Make sweeping attack deal the damage automatically. It will still be worse than green flame blade.

Eldritch Knight

Banneret

Remove the restriction to weapon attacks from inspiring surge. Let casters get in on the fun too.

Arcane Archer

Make arcane shots scale like maneuvers: 4 per short rest that add 1d8. The more potent effects are offset by making the DC scale off of Int. Grant additional uses at 7th and 15th.
Remove curving shot.
Add an improved combat superiority clone at 10th level.
If you find the above to be overstepping:

Grant an additional use of arcane shot at 7th, 10th, and 15th level, but remove the damage bump at 18th level.
https://i.imgur.com/6Ds1jX3.png
These changes would produce the above damage curve.

Add 1d6 damage to banishing arrow. It's the only shot where it may actually do nothing if the target makes their save.
Make grasping arrow have a Strength save/Athletics check to avoid the speed reduction and slashing damage. No save is a little much.
Bump the damage for seeking arrow to 2d6. The rider effect is rarely useful, and it only hits one target, unlike bursting or piercing.

Regarding the Arcane Archer: isn't your damage graph (and your solution) ignoring the fact that it gets a potent damage bump at 7, while the abilities of other subclasses are rather weak (especially from the PhB), or even ribbon-like?

Kaliayev
2018-04-28, 06:39 AM
I'd change the Champion like this:

Remarkable athlete: ... At 10th level, add your full proficiency to checks, but only to two abilities among Constitution, Dexterity and Strength. At 14th level you gain expertise on skills from one of the two choices you took at 10th level.

Superior Critical (I'd change the name to something like superior combatant or something): would also allow you to add your Dex modifier to damage if your attack roll used Str and vice versa.

Survivor: would also make Indomitable work like Legendary resistance.

Are you trying to make the rogue jealous of your expertise in all dex skills?

Tanarii
2018-04-28, 08:59 AM
I'd reduce the front loading of the battlemaster.

I'd change remarkable athlete to be expertise if you already have proficiency. Or 1/2 bonus.

I'd do something to make S&B EKs viable in no feat games. Maybe something to make TWF EKs viable at all*.

Something to reduce multiclassing fighter dips.

*Although I don't really care for TWF as a 'thing' in D&D. I more wish it would just go away. So maybe instead remove the TWF rules and TWF fighting style.

Eric Diaz
2018-04-28, 09:07 AM
I'd just give expertise in Athletics to the Champion with remarkable athlete.

Choosing acrobatics/stealth instead of athletics would make sense too, but athletics seems perfect to allow some grappling maneuvers to the champion without being a battle-master.

Or maybe allow you to add half your proficiency bonus (round up) to death saving throws.

Kaliayev
2018-04-28, 09:17 AM
I'd just give expertise in Athletics to the Champion with remarkable athlete.

Choosing acrobatics/stealth instead of athletics would make sense too, but athletics seems perfect to allow some grappling maneuvers to the champion without being a battle-master.

Or maybe allow you to add half your proficiency bonus (round up) to death saving throws.

For the sake of champion's crit fishing, expertise in athletics makes the most sense.

intregus
2018-04-28, 09:54 AM
I would redesign the base class to have the battlemaster maneuvers built in and then each subclass would have a short rest resource (superiority due) to use as they see fit.

Tvtyrant
2018-04-28, 10:02 AM
I would give the Fighter a set of moves, some could be used whenever, some per short rest, and some per long rest. The fighter would also have a punishing mechanic where any opponent they attack has disadvantage against everyone but the Fighter until the Fighter's next turn, call it Harrier.

Rebonack
2018-04-28, 11:27 AM
I would swap Extra Attack and the Extra Action Surge to better keep pace with how the rest of the game upgrades offensively. Make Champion's athlete feature offer expertise.

And I would make the various fighting styles a little more generalist.

Precise: You gain +1 to attack rolls.
Brutal: Your damage rolls deal +2 damage.
Harrying: Hostile creatures treat your threatened area as difficult terrain.
Defense: You gain +1 armor class while wearing armor.
Protection: Allies within 10 feet of you benefit from your shield bonus to armor class.
Reflexive: Opportunity Attacks do not consume your Reaction.
Focused: You ignore disadvantage on your attack rolls.

The old Two Weapon style becomes the default function of two weapon fighting. Weapons with the Thrown property can be drawn like ammunition. All the heavy/two handed weapons have the Reach property and deal 1d12 damage. Those technically aren't changes to Fighter, but they would certainly have an impact on them.

Ganymede
2018-04-28, 11:39 AM
I'd replace the fourth attack with something else (either making the third attack the capstone and replacing the level 11 ability, or by giving a brand new level 20 capstone).

Specter
2018-04-28, 12:23 PM
Protection: Allies within 10 feet of you benefit from your shield bonus to armor class.
Reflexive: Opportunity Attacks do not consume your Reaction.
Focused: You ignore disadvantage on your attack rolls.

- How is the fighter stretching his arm up to 10 feet?
- That's subject to abuse with Polearm Master and Sentinel.
- That's way too powerful, even if gained at level 20.

Coffee_Dragon
2018-04-28, 12:27 PM
Switch places of the "stat to off-hand damage" bullet point for Two-Wep Fightan and the "non-light weapons" bullet point of Dual Wielder.

Rebonack
2018-04-28, 12:44 PM
- How is the fighter stretching his arm up to 10 feet?

Captain America style. Or more realistically, jockeying around using his shield to interfere with enemy attacks. A round of combat in D&D is an abstraction of what a pitched battle would in fact look like.

- That's subject to abuse with Polearm Master and Sentinel.

There's already a Fighting Style that does this. What I offered is in fact a nerfed version of Tunnel Fighter.

- That's way too powerful, even if gained at level 20.

A situational +3(ish) tohit is already significantly weaker than an always-on +2 tohit and yet the latter managed to sneak into the game just fine.

Specter
2018-04-28, 01:09 PM
Captain America style. Or more realistically, jockeying around using his shield to interfere with enemy attacks. A round of combat in D&D is an abstraction of what a pitched battle would in fact look like.

There's already a Fighting Style that does this. What I offered is in fact a nerfed version of Tunnel Fighter.

A situational +3(ish) tohit is already significantly weaker than an always-on +2 tohit and yet the latter managed to sneak into the game just fine.

- That would involve movement, not just standing still. Also, it's very abusable if many people have the same fighting style.

- Tunnel Fighter is also broken, but at least it costs your bonus action every turn. Also, this proposed fighting style competes with Cavalier's Vigilant Defender.

- The point is not (only) the numeric potential, but the absurdity. You're tied up in the dark with poison through your veins and still hitting your enemy like it's no big deal? Yeah, no.

djreynolds
2018-04-28, 01:46 PM
I like the brute archetype's save bonus at 7th, and the samurai's wisdom save as well

I know fighters get 7 feats, but indomitable isn't enough.... its just a reroll.

Fighters can select resilient wisdom, but it leaves charisma, dexterity(shield master helps here) and intelligence very vulnerable.

The paladin and even the berserker barbarian and monk have the ability to shrug off charm and fear

And I'm not a fan of critical hits, I rarely roll them, I would rather just call the brute archetype the new champion

And I like the idea of the extra attacks being 5th, 11th, and 17th

jas61292
2018-04-28, 03:54 PM
I would tend to agree with those who say the final extra attack should not be a capstone. Move it to 17 to line up better with other classes, and give a better capstone. Don't just swap the extra action surge to 20, as that would be just as underwhelming. Either give a better version of a feature they already have (maybe a second extra action on the surge, or a massive boost to second wind), or something brand new and fun.

Champion could use a little boost to Remarkable Athlete, but I don't like the way a lot of people talk about it. It is a decent feature already, but not great. Simply giving free proficiencies or expertise is boring, especially when people talk about it only being Athletics, as that is overly favoring certain fighter styles. The two handed weapon wielders or ranged fighters would get the short end of the stick if you balance it around assuming people just want to grapple. So instead, all I would want to do is change it from being half your proficiency to being just some set bonus. Maybe it is the same as half your proficiency, but.... it is not. Why? So that it would apply to both proficient and non-proficient skills alike. Now, your strength fighter is even better at grappling, even if he already was trained in athletics. And he is also better at sneaking. Similarly, the sneaky two weapon wielder who wants to put a pair of daggers in his foe's back is in fact better at wrestling than a similar non-champion character, but he gains that ability without losing out on a bonus to what he really cares about: being more stealthy than anyone but a dedicated rogue.

Battemasters are generally fine, but I would fix their scaling and make them less dip friendly. Start them off with fewer dice, and make them gain more and faster. Ultimately, I'd probably have them end up with more than they have now, but you have to put time into the class. I'd also probably start them with a d6. As it stands, there is very little scaling, and you get by far the majority of the good benefits of the archetype by dipping 3 levels. I'd love to see that fixed.

Eldritch Knights are mostly fine. Got no real issues here.

Banneret's could use by far the most fixing up. Rallying Cry needs to heal far more and to more people and possibly with more range. Level three is the archetype defining ability. Champions get their crit range, battlemasters get their maneuvers, eldritch knights get their spells. A Banneret gets healing. So if that is going to be the defining ability, if this is going to be the supportive fighter, it needs to have an ability that makes it damn good at it. Cause as is, it is garbage. And that is not the only feature that needs work. Inspiring surge is the classes best ability, but it is still weak. That said, I do get why they would limit it in such a way as to not allow spells. I know people would love spells for this, but I feel like that might be a bit much. However, it should totally allow the choice of any of the standard mundane actions (attack, dash, dodge, etc.) and I would also add in some movement ability. Make it feel truly combat shaping, as you only get to use it when YOU want to action surge, you shouldn't have to also need to time it so that others can take advantage. It should just work. Also, make their final ability actually worthwhile. Give it uses, and don't tie helping others to you failing things yourself.

Arcane Archer could use a bit of a scaling fix. As limited as it is, I think always having just two shots is enough. I do not, however, think it is OK for those shots to barely scale. Like with battlemaster, the ability to dip for nearly full benefit of the biggest feature is a poor design choice. What I'd like to see is for every single one of the special shots to be without any damage boost when you first get them (except those where damage is the only thing it is really about, then just give one die). Then, have the them all scale up steadily over the levels. Make you stay in it a longer time to really feel like the shots pack a punch, but eventually scale them so that they really, really do pack a punch. I'd probably look to have them do at least one and a half times the number of dice they currently cap at, if not more. The other class features are all fine though.

And Samurai and Cavalier... they are fine. No complaints from me.

thoroughlyS
2018-04-28, 09:16 PM
Arcane Archer

Make arcane shots scale like maneuvers: 4 per short rest that add 1d8. The more potent effects are offset by making the DC scale off of Int. Grant additional uses at 7th and 15th.
Remove curving shot.
Add an improved combat superiority clone at 10th level.
If you find the above to be overstepping:

Regarding the Arcane Archer: isn't your damage graph (and your solution) ignoring the fact that it gets a potent damage bump at 7, while the abilities of other subclasses are rather weak (especially from the PhB), or even ribbon-like?
Bolded for emphasis.

djreynolds
2018-04-29, 01:41 PM
I have always wanted something more out the champion.

What I want is if someone else in the party scores a critical hit, the 11th level champion gets a free reaction attack.... because no one out does him/her

Or if the champion rolls a 1, his next attack is at disadvantage because she's sad

Why not? Champion needs some spicing up....

And remarkable athlete is all right, but consider a 6th level totem barbarian can take any totem (they do not have to stay pure bear), and tiger gives 2 skills.

I might allow instead of remarkable athlete, perhaps the champion could use strength for dex skills, or dex for strength skills

Specter
2018-04-29, 09:45 PM

What I want is if someone else in the party scores a critical hit, the 11th level champion gets a free reaction attack.... because no one out does him/her

Or if the champion rolls a 1, his next attack is at disadvantage because she's sad

And remarkable athlete is all right, but consider a 6th level totem barbarian can take any totem (they do not have to stay pure bear), and tiger gives 2 skills.

I might allow instead of remarkable athlete, perhaps the champion could use strength for dex skills, or dex for strength skills

- A bland class doesn't need fixing; in fact, many players love to avoid resource decisions and the extra complexity of other subclasses.

- Remarkable Athlete also gives bonuses to things skills don't cover, like initiative, destroying stuff and exerting yourself.

Theodoxus
2018-04-29, 10:22 PM
I tweaked someone else's revision on Champion... I, sadly, don't remember who I ripped this from... Zman, possibly... Whomever you are, I appreciate your hard work.

What I appreciate about it is, the choices, once made, are static, and require no additional resources. The only thing I'd might improve would be to allow a retraining mechanic - perhaps at each level a new ability is gained, you can replace an older one... so, if you find a magical weapon that is better suited to a different cadence, then at 7th level, when you pick your Impeccable Training, you could also change your cadence...

The Champion (Revised)
The archetypal Champion focuses on the development of raw physical power honed to deadly perfection. Those who model themselves on this archetype combine rigorous training with physical excellence to deal devastating blows.

Martial Cadence
At 3rd level, you gain one of the following features of your choice.

Improved Critical. Your weapon attacks score a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20.

Cleaving Attack. Once on each of your turns when you make a weapon attack, you can make another attack with the same weapon against a different creature that is within 5 feet of the original target and within range of your weapon.

Shield Bash. Once on each of your turns, you may take a bonus action to attack with your shield, dealing 1d4+Strength modifier on a hit. You may attempt to knock a large or smaller creature prone as part of this action. If you later take the Shield Master feat, you have advantage on the shove attempt.

Feint. You gain the ability to foil your opponent into opening their defences. You can make a Dexterity (Acrobatics) check as a bonus action, against the Wisdom (Perception) of an opponent within 10 feet of you. If you succeed, your attacks have advantage against the target until the end of your turn.

Impeccable Training
At 7th level, you gain one of the following features of your choice.

Remarkable Athlete. Starting at 7th level, you can add half your proficiency bonus (round up) to any Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution check you make that doesn't already use your proficiency bonus.
In addition, when you make a running long jump, the distance you can cover increases by a number of feet equal to your Strength modifier.

Master Tactician. Gain proficiency in History and Persuasion. If already proficient in either skill, gain expertise instead. Also, you have advantage on these skill checks when interacting with person(s) of significance such as a General or Warlord.
In addition, you may cast Identify as a Ritual.

Cavalier. Gain proficiency in Animal Handling and Intimidation. If already proficient you gain expertise in them instead. While Mounted, you have advantage on these checks, and mounting/dismounting only takes 5 ft. of movement instead of half.

Fighting Form
At 10th level, you gain one of the following features of your choice.

Greater Critical. Your critical hit range is increased by 1. This stacks with Improved Critical.

Shield Wall. Allies within 5 feet of you gain +1 AC as long as your have a shield donned and aren't incapacitated.

Whirlwind Attack. You can use your action to make a separate melee attack against any number of creatures within 5 feet of you. Your movement becomes 0 when you initiate your first attack with this ability.

Rending Strike. Once per turn, if you hit the same target two or more times with weapon attacks, you may deal an additional 1d8+(Str or Dex, your choice) damage to them.

Defensive Form
At 15th level, you gain one of the following features of your choice.

Survivor. You attain the pinnacle of resilience in battle. At the start of each of your turns, you regain hit points equal to 5 + your Constitution modifier if you have no more than half of your hit points left. You don't gain this benefit if you have O hit points.

Armored Fortress. While wearing armor with a minimum strength requirement, you have resistance to non-magical weapon attacks.

Take Cover. While using a shield, you may use your reaction to gain three-quarters cover against all attacks until the beginning of your next turn.

Mastery of Combat
At 18th level, you gain one of the following features of your choice.

Superior Critical. Your critical hit range is increased by 1. This stacks with both Improved and Greater Critical.

Powerful Strikes. Once per round, on a successful hit with a Heavy weapon, you can automatically knock a target prone if they are less than 2 sizes larger than you.

Pinpoint Accuracy. While wielding a weapon with the Finesse or Ranged property, if you miss with an attack, you can reroll that attack with disadvantage, once.

Einhander. While wielding a single, one-handed weapon and no other weapons, you may add both your strength and dexterity to hit and damage you deal with it.

Specter
2018-04-29, 10:46 PM

- A bland class doesn't need fixing; in fact, many players love to avoid resource decisions and the extra complexity of other subclasses.

- Remarkable Athlete also gives bonuses to things skills don't cover, like initiative, destroying stuff and exerting yourself.