PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Rules Questions regarding Elementals

dejarnjc
2018-04-27, 01:40 PM
Hi everyone,

Pretty simple questions below and I'm less concerned with the RAW than other peoples' thoughts and opinions.

Would you allow druid wildshaped elementals to wield weapons? If so and IF the druid is proficient would you add proficiency to the to hit?
Example: Let's say I'm a druid and find a magical greatclub and would like to use it while in Earth Elemental Form, is there any reason to deny this?

Would you allow druid wildshaped elementals to wear armor, assuming their proficient?
Example: A druid is wearing some sort of magical breastplate that re-sizes to fit the wearer. Can said druid wildshape into a fire elemental while wearing the armor and keep the bonuses while obviously losing the ability to travel through 1 inch spaces?

Would you allow a druid wildshaped fire/air/water elemental to grapple enemies? Per RAW this seems a pretty clear cut yes (if not feel free to change my view!). Assuming you can grapple, then presumably one would also be able to carry teammates around (although that would hurt as a fire elemental).
Example: Druid wildshapes into an Air Elemental, grapples with one attack hits with another and then flies 45 feet up into the air bringing the target with him.

othaero
2018-04-27, 02:16 PM
Hi everyone,

Pretty simple questions below and I'm less concerned with the RAW than other peoples' thoughts and opinions.

Would you allow druid wildshaped elementals to wield weapons? If so and IF the druid is proficient would you add proficiency to the to hit?
Example: Let's say I'm a druid and find a magical greatclub and would like to use it while in Earth Elemental Form, is there any reason to deny this?

Would you allow druid wildshaped elementals to wear armor, assuming their proficient?
Example: A druid is wearing some sort of magical breastplate that re-sizes to fit the wearer. Can said druid wildshape into a fire elemental while wearing the armor and keep the bonuses while obviously losing the ability to travel through 1 inch spaces?

Would you allow a druid wildshaped fire/air/water elemental to grapple enemies? Per RAW this seems a pretty clear cut yes (if not feel free to change my view!). Assuming you can grapple, then presumably one would also be able to carry teammates around (although that would hurt as a fire elemental).
Example: Druid wildshapes into an Air Elemental, grapples with one attack hits with another and then flies 45 feet up into the air bringing the target with him.

Obviously DM dependent but this would be my take.
You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so. However, you can't use any of your Special senses, such as Darkvision, unless your new form also has that sense.
You choose whether your Equipment falls to the ground in your space, merges into your new form, or is worn by it. Worn Equipment functions as normal, but the DM decides whether it is practical for the new form to wear a piece of Equipment, based on the creature's shape and size. Your Equipment doesn't change size or shape to match the new form, and any Equipment that the new form can't wear must either fall to the ground or merge with it. Equipment that merges with the form has no effect until you leave the form.

1: I would allow an Earth Elemental to hold it because it is really the only one with a solid form. To me I feel that the weapon would just fall through the rest.
1a: Yes because you retain your proficiency so you add it to the To Hit and use its appropriate stat for DMG

2: Armor depends. If nonmagical won't work. Magical I would only allow it if it didn't require attunement. My reading of the rules is that during the attunement process is when it changes size.

3: I would and have allowed it. I have had elementals being commanded by BigBadWizardGuyTM grapple and do the same thing as your example. I've also had earth elementals grapple a PC through the ground and slam them into a wall.

I hope this helps.