PDA

View Full Version : Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes preview: Giff and Gray Render art

Unoriginal
2018-04-27, 01:46 PM
Hi guys.

Not sure if you have seen those, but they put a few more of the MToF artworks on twitter.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DbQG1IsUMAA0L8S.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DbeqCWoU0AEdTqw.jpg:large

I like them both a lot.

RazDelacroix
2018-04-27, 01:51 PM
We're getting our Space Hippos!? WOO! SPACE HIPPOS AWAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

KorvinStarmast
2018-04-27, 02:02 PM
Hi guys.

Not sure if you have seen those, but they put a few more of the MToF artworks on twitter.

I like them both a lot. He's got a blunderbuss! Woot. Reminds me of the dwarves in Warcraft III.

Rfkannen
2018-04-27, 02:08 PM
I really want a variant motf where all the art is pancakes!

JackPhoenix
2018-04-27, 02:35 PM
Imperial French hippo is awesome.

I'm... not a fan of the Grey Render, though. I prefer more stubby face and bulky look from 3.5e art. This looks too much like shell-less turtle. Or a shaleback.

xroads
2018-04-27, 03:49 PM

Oooh. I wonder if giffs are going to be an AL playable race. And if so, what are they going to do about the tech? I mean I don't think blunderbusses are part of AL yet.

Rickety Stick
2018-04-27, 04:30 PM
I really want the Giff to be a playable race. Probably wont be the case but hey, one can always hope xD.

Unoriginal
2018-04-27, 04:52 PM
Giffs aren't going to be a PC race in this book unless they add a "other monster races" section to what they announced.

Mith
2018-04-27, 07:12 PM
Oooh. I wonder if giffs are going to be an AL playable race. And if so, what are they going to do about the tech? I mean I don't think blunderbusses are part of AL yet.

Once the Alchemist/Gunsmith class hits AL it would work.

Unoriginal
2018-04-28, 05:22 AM
You know, one might wonder why the Giff has a monocle (aside that it looks great), but then I realized that since they're handling Age of Sail-style firearms, it would be an effective protection against the smoke, dust and ashes that risk to be projected from the loading hole or the hole for the ignition device.

Waazraath
2018-04-28, 05:51 AM
Is it me or do the Giff look a lot like the Umpani race (also hippo's from space with blunderbusses), in the Wizardry computer RPG series of the 90's?

And if yes: who had those hippo's from space first?

JackPhoenix
2018-04-28, 08:18 AM
Is it me or do the Giff look a lot like the Umpani race (also hippo's from space with blunderbusses), in the Wizardry computer RPG series of the 90's?

And if yes: who had those hippo's from space first?

Giff first appeared in Spelljammer in 1989. Umpani first appeared in Wizardry VII, in 1992. Considering the inspiration D&D was to the period's fantasy videogames, I think it's pretty clear which one was original.

PhoenixPhyre
2018-04-28, 08:21 AM
Giff first appeared in Spelljammer in 1989. Umpani first appeared in Wizardry VII, in 1992. Considering the inspiration D&D was to the period's fantasy videogames, I think it's pretty clear which one was original.

Especially since Wizardry was pretty much a direct D&D rip-off"homage" (which I enjoyed greatly, so don't get me wrong).

smcmike
2018-04-28, 08:54 AM
These look sweet. The grey render is reminiscent of the Stranger Things monster in pose, and the giff looks awesome.

Waazraath
2018-04-28, 09:29 AM

That's clear, thanks. I played a (short) spelljammer campaign only once, and no space hippo's there back then.

EvilAnagram
2018-04-28, 09:47 AM
That Giff art is beautiful. It perfectly encapsulates everything I love about militaristic space hippos.

Also, this is compelling evidence that we're never getting a Spelljammer campaign guide.

Mikaleus
2018-04-29, 10:30 AM
Would 100% play a Giff.

That artwork is brilliant :D

Unoriginal
2018-04-30, 06:21 AM
It makes me happy that people like the Giffs.

the_brazenburn
2018-04-30, 06:59 AM
Giff is beyond amazing. I laughed so hard when I saw that that people started giving me strange looks.

Grey Render: Okay, I guess? The art is kind of cool, but other people are right. It looks more like a cute miniature space pet than a horrible monster.

I'll be looking forward to the stats.

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-04-30, 07:11 AM
Giff is beyond amazing. I laughed so hard when I saw that that people started giving me strange looks.
Can't argue with that. You know When I was thinking about what I want in D&D and I said to my friends. "You know what i want in D&D a big anthropomorphic hippo in renaissance clothes" They thought I was crazy but who's laughing now!!!!!! MWAHAHAHA.

Ok back on topic I like the idea of the giff and I can think of a bunch of uses for it. I will fit perfectly into my next dungeon.
as for the Gray render I think its kind of bland. Nothing special I can use it but it's not as interesting as the giff.

EvilAnagram
2018-04-30, 08:18 AM
The Grey Render seems to have a bit of a following, and I don't know why. Plenty of people homebrewed one, so it's evidently in demand, but I can't think of a reason to want one.

Ok back on topic I like the idea of the giff and I can think of a bunch of uses for it. I will fit perfectly into my next dungeon.

Interesting. Did one of their ships crash on your world?

strangebloke
2018-04-30, 08:32 AM
The real question, is it pronounced "Jiff" or "Gif" as in "Gift"?

Unoriginal
2018-04-30, 08:37 AM

Like "Gift" without the "t".

It's meant to sound similar to "Gith", I think.

strangebloke
2018-04-30, 08:38 AM
Like "Gift" without the "t".

It's meant to sound similar to "Gith", I think.

I feel a completely unreasonable urge to pronounce it "Jiff" from now until the end of time.

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-04-30, 11:30 AM
The Grey Render seems to have a bit of a following, and I don't know why. Plenty of people homebrewed one, so it's evidently in demand, but I can't think of a reason to want one.

Interesting. Did one of their ships crash on your world?

That was my plan. I felt that the travel needed to be spiced up a bit.

VoxRationis
2018-04-30, 11:54 AM

No, the "g" is a voiced velar fricative, like Spanish "j" or Scottish "ch" but with vibration of the vocal folds. This is similar to certain Greek (and possibly Spanish) pronunciations of "g."

Luccan
2018-04-30, 12:25 PM

I liked them in 3.5 because the idea of them "adopting" a party, village, or group of animals was fun. A destructive brute, barely smarter than an animal, but extremely protective of their "family". I also wanted to make a village where they raised Grey Renders.

Maelynn
2018-04-30, 12:40 PM
I really want the Giff to be a playable race. Probably wont be the case but hey, one can always hope xD.

They gave us Tortles, so I don't see why not.

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-04-30, 01:15 PM
I mean if you want it to be a playable race (which I would love) and they don't make it you can always homebrew it.

SaintRidley
2018-04-30, 01:32 PM
I like the Gray Render's head. Reminds me of a Sheegoth from Metroid Prime.

Callin
2018-04-30, 01:44 PM
Giiiiffffffff!!!!!

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-04-30, 04:43 PM
Giiiiffffffff!!!!!
Well said. :smallbiggrin:

MeeposFire
2018-04-30, 09:29 PM
I feel a completely unreasonable urge to pronounce it "Jiff" from now until the end of time.

Choosy DMs choose Jif.