PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Things my kids do better then players...

WereRabbitz
2018-04-27, 02:46 PM
I run 2 campaigns... The first for my friends who are all 25+ years old.

The other is for my kids and a few cousins who are between 4 and 10.

1. My kids stay in character the whole time
2. My kids don't meta game, at all... ever..
3. My kids ask questions before slashing something apart
4. My kids prioritize protecting a hurt companion over getting the killing blow.
5. My kids dress up as their characters when we play
6. My kids Believe in giving "bad guys" second chances
7. My kids like to tell me how cool the parts of the dungeon I designed are.
8. My kids Care about the NPCs i build.
9. My kids don't get side tracked or fire up their phones when it's not their turn.
10. My kids have threatened a Necromancer with a Axe if he didn't sit quietly in the corner for his crimes against the land.

Lastly we have "wind down" time where we talk about the game and what all we did and I truly enjoy listening to them talk about how excited they are to play again and how much they enjoyed the session.

Anytime I get frustrated with the adults I fire up a game with the kids and it brings it into perspective.
While the conversation isn't as intriguing there is something players could learn and that's just appreciating the game.

nickl_2000
2018-04-27, 02:54 PM
Do you play the full game with the 4-10 year olds? How do you do it? My kids are 8, 6, and 5 and I would love to introduce them to the game.

DMThac0
2018-04-27, 02:58 PM
There is so much truth in that post.

My kids were 8 and 9 yr old, boy and girl respectively. They saw my 6 friends 19-54 yrs old playing and decided they wanted to play too. So I got mom, one of our veteran friends and the two kids into a one-shot. The kids did what I expected: they flexed their creative muscles and did all the things they couldn't get away with if mom and dad were around. I asked mom and our friend to let the kids take the lead, which they did. It was an interesting time, teaching the kids social dynamics, actions and consequences, and looking beyond the surface. They ate it up.

My weekly game...cell phones at the table, getting up every couple minutes for a smoke, side tracking about something on the book of faces or the game of pointy chairs. While I don't have to spend as much time explaining everything, I spend just as much time waiting for them to come back to the game.

Some of that is me being so loose about things, it is the weekend and everyone is chilling, but there is something wonderful about how lost kids get in the imaginary world versus the adults.

Do you play the full game with the 4-10 year olds? How do you do it? My kids are 8, 6, and 5 and I would love to introduce them to the game.

I found it was easiest to try to adapt one of the common kid's show tropes to a D&D story. First game I created was actually an adaptation of Aesop's fable: The Mouse and the Lion, I had a dragon that was rampaging the country side and they had to stop it. They found, during the game play, that the dragon wasn't really mean, there was just something wrong. The mechanics of the game were fine, slow because math, but as they got familiar with things it sped up. When they got distracted I'd have something happen in game that would bring them back, usually innocuous like a strange creature they'd never seen comes into view. If they did something that was inappropriate, I had in game repercussions; like saying they go to sleep in the waiting room when the Mayor wanted to have a talk with them. And if they were being silly, and taking away from the game, I'd have in game consequences, like yelling "Stampede" in a city and got arrested for causing public panic.

WereRabbitz
2018-04-27, 03:08 PM

There are some on pintrest that we customize and use.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/384283780682459091/?lp=true

The 4yr old only has 4 abilities and we simplify his sheet down a little more. We use a map & markers with the Fold up characters from GITP to give good visual aids.
I often put reading & math puzzles in the game to give a educational twist too it lol.

Sometimes the 4yr old will get tired of playing and wonders off, which my duaghter (6) carries his character over her shoulder till he wonders back (i.e. wakes up refreshed).

With the kids it's all about keeping a Happy & energetic mood and they easily mimic it.

HTH

xroads
2018-04-27, 04:01 PM
It's funny how the older we get, the more we forget how to play.

My weekly game...cell phones at the table, getting up every couple minutes for a smoke, side tracking about something on the book of faces or the game of pointy chairs. While I don't have to spend as much time explaining everything, I spend just as much time waiting for them to come back to the game.

My favorite are the adult players who hold conversations with each other as a I'm trying to talk. Often across the table about topics that have nothing to do with the game.

KorvinStarmast
2018-04-27, 04:29 PM
My favorite are the adult players who hold conversations with each other as a I'm trying to talk. Often across the table about topics that have nothing to do with the game. And now we understand how "rocks fall and everyone (who is doing this) dies" happens. :smallcool:

tatsuyashiba
2018-04-27, 05:46 PM
Want to hear more about this. Don’t have kids yet, but trying with the wife. If anyone has more stories, please share!

Honest Tiefling
2018-04-27, 07:05 PM
I don't have kids but I gotta wonder...Why are you running the game for adults again? You sound pretty frustrated with them.

ImproperJustice
2018-04-28, 12:28 AM
My best friend is currently running a game for all our kids. At session 0, everyone spent 30 minutes creating a picture of their PC and coloring it.

Amdy_vill
2018-04-28, 05:55 AM
I run 2 campaigns... The first for my friends who are all 25+ years old.

The other is for my kids and a few cousins who are between 4 and 10.

3. My kids ask questions before slashing something apart
4. My kids prioritize protecting a hurt companion over getting the killing blow.
5. My kids dress up as their characters when we play
7. My kids like to tell me how cool the parts of the dungeon I designed are.
8. My kids Care about the NPCs i build.
9. My kids don't get side tracked or fire up their phones when it's not their turn.
10. My kids have threatened a Necromancer with a Axe if he didn't sit quietly in the corner for his crimes against the land.

Lastly we have "wind down" time where we talk about the game and what all we did and I truly enjoy listening to them talk about how excited they are to play again and how much they enjoyed the session.

Anytime I get frustrated with the adults I fire up a game with the kids and it brings it into perspective.
While the conversation isn't as intriguing there is something players could learn and that's just appreciating the game.

this is normal most people are not that mature till there early 30's so playing with kids how still have that spark of innocence in them is good. this does not go for all people by the way. I am a exception my self. only a little thought. i still like to kill things but i am more of a story person then most other players i have been in a game with. also the dress up thing is very much a DM and Player thing.

2D6GREATAXE
2018-04-28, 06:40 AM
My best friend is currently running a game for all our kids. At session 0, everyone spent 30 minutes creating a picture of their PC and coloring it.

This literally warmed my heart and made me chuckle at the same time.

kenposan
2018-04-28, 07:41 AM
That's pretty awesome. Here has been my experience with my youngest kids (now age 12):

3. My kids kill it or run from it. period.
4. My kids blame each other for getting hurt and don't care to save each other. Same for NPC allies.
5. My kids have a couple props, but don't dress up. that would be lame.
6. My kids Believe bad guys should die. Actually, they believe everyone should die. My kids are murder hobos.
7. My kids like to tell me nothing and derail the game at every opportunity.
8. My kids don't care about NPCs. See #6.
9. My kids get side tracked by inside jokes about the game, snacks, the dog, the leaf on the floor...
10. My kids have killed the necromancer. See #6.

My kids have the video game mentality and despite my best efforts over the years, I can't break them of it. D&D just isn't the game for them. I have failed as a parent. sigh.

I want to play with your kids.

Cybren
2018-04-28, 08:47 AM
I don't understand the point of this thread, given that most of the numbered points aren't even necessarily objectively virtuous traits for playing the game.

sophontteks
2018-04-28, 09:18 AM
I don't understand the point of this thread, given that most of the numbered points aren't even necessarily objectively virtuous traits for playing the game.
Someone is taking the OP personally :smallbiggrin:

@OP this made me laugh. Glad your kids are so cool. But also happy I don't share your problems. In my campaign it started off with the players having the same problems, but they are picking up on the roleplay fast enough.

Kish
2018-04-28, 09:21 AM
Someone is taking the OP personally :smallbiggrin:

And indeed, the two clauses of that protest post contradict each other. Clearly they do understand the point of the post, and object to it.

Cybren
2018-04-28, 09:43 AM
And indeed, the two clauses of that protest post contradict each other. Clearly they do understand the point of the post, and object to it.

I'm not sure I understand this either.

Tanarii
2018-04-28, 10:00 AM
While my experience with kids (defining it in my case as maybe 10-14 year olds) is substantially the same as yours ... I find that kids are generally far more bloodthirsty than young adults*. :smallamused:

Maybe it's because they're a few years older than you're talking about?

My favorite are the adult players who hold conversations with each other as a I'm trying to talk. Often across the table about topics that have nothing to do with the game.there is an easy solution to that.

http://theangrygm.com/through-a-glass-darkly-ic-ooc-and-the-myth-of-playercharacter-seperation/

---------
*is that the right term for college age and a few years after? I mean someone 18-35.

ImproperJustice
2018-04-28, 12:29 PM
This thread seems like a good place for this, but there is a free kids rpg out there called Princesses and Palaces. It’s super easy for kids to pick up and my buddy has been using it to run a d&d style game.

I will say there is something very “fresh” about getting to play with the littles and seeing how they problem solve and what parts of the story appeal the most to them.

I mean, style and clothes are hyper important to some. Where the bathroom is on a boat, and what kind os sound a snoring orc makes is all very important.

BLC1975
2018-05-02, 10:55 AM
My kids found a female human and a male orc unconscious and webbed up by a giant wolf spider. This was the first orc they had ever encountered and my Son (Fighter, obviously) wanted to dispatch him immediately. My Daughter (Ranger) in full role play mode stood between sword and orc, called him a racist and carefully released both NPC.

This is how they met Pete The Orc Blacksmith and his apprentice Carol (I'm terrible naming NPC but the kids think it's funny). As a reward for being saved, Pete smithed a metal boomerang for my Son (which has now been enchanted into a "Returning Flamerang", by the way) and they are now kind of best mates, he goes to Pete for all his metalwork needs. My Daughter loves to remind him "see...and you wanted to kill him!"

I love playing D&D with my kids (aged 11 and 7)!

sophontteks
2018-05-02, 01:12 PM
My kids found a female human and a male orc unconscious and webbed up by a giant wolf spider. This was the first orc they had ever encountered and my Son (Fighter, obviously) wanted to dispatch him immediately. My Daughter (Ranger) in full role play mode stood between sword and orc, called him a racist and carefully released both NPC.

This is how they met Pete The Orc Blacksmith and his apprentice Carol (I'm terrible naming NPC but the kids think it's funny). As a reward for being saved, Pete smithed a metal boomerang for my Son (which has now been enchanted into a "Returning Flamerang", by the way) and they are now kind of best mates, he goes to Pete for all his metalwork needs. My Daughter loves to remind him "see...and you wanted to kill him!"

I love playing D&D with my kids (aged 11 and 7)!
Wow man, thats some pretty intense interaction between your kids. I mean, thats a real serious issue your young kids just confronted and it was handled beautifully.

BloodOgre
2018-05-02, 01:27 PM
From one parent to another, you and your significant other seem to be doing a good job with the kids. And kudos to you for finding something all of you can do together across such a broad age range. Yes, young kids really seem to get into it. And even at 4 years old, they can separate fantasy from reality. I've actually heard, "We didn't really kill him, mom. It's only pretend. He's not real... DUH!" from a 4 year old.

But when they get to 13, it can be like herding cats.

TripleD
2018-05-02, 03:31 PM
One of my favourite memories is of DMing for two kids, brother and sister, at a library.

Older brother had played solo a few times with me before his sister got interested and asked to join. He was 11 and approached the game with a very “ video game” mindset. Kill enemies, didn’t really get into character, etc. When his sister, a Druid, met him by a tower, he went into a long and detailed plot about how they would take the tower and the exact steps she would take to assist him.

Without missing a beat she looks him right in the eye and, completely in-character and affecting an accent, goes: “Excuse me! I don’t even know who you are.”