PDA

View Full Version : Paints Pricing

Ruethgar
2018-04-27, 04:30 PM
I was thinking of making a spheres of power character who used painting in order to cast, marvelous pigments style. I could just use the material components drawback and say that is his paint, but I was wondering if there is any pricing for mundane paints? As a mundane item, I don’t really care if this is 3.5 or PF, but my Google fu only pulls up stuff about painting miniatures, the marvelous pigments, or the magical tribal paint in PF.

TLDR: Is there pricing for mundane paint in PF/3.5? If so where?

Uncle Pine
2018-04-27, 04:56 PM
Right in the SRD. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/craft.htm)

In d&d it's the artist who sets the price for his or her stuff, not the critics.

1. You set the price for your creation.
2. You convert it in sp.
3. You decide whether you're making a very simple (DC 5), typical (DC 10), high-quality (DC 15), or superior painting (DC 20).
4. You pay one-third of your painting's price as raw material.
5. You make Craft checks until you've done well enough to craft your painting, as detailed in the Craft rules. Note that you can add +10 to the DC as many times as you want to speed up the crafting process (from CAdv, iirc).

Ruethgar
2018-04-27, 05:02 PM
But that’s not just paints, that can technically include brushes, paint, canvas, palettes, and models. Brushes, canvas, and models I can find rules to cover, palettes are negligible but paints, not so much.

Uncle Pine
2018-04-27, 05:10 PM
If you're not satisfied with the above, you can limit yourself to listed art objects (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/treasure.htm) and craft paint only those that are actual paintings.

Zanos
2018-04-27, 05:27 PM
Isnt the cost of unlisted material components negligible and considered to be in your "spell component pouch"? Or paintcan in this case.

Ruethgar
2018-04-27, 06:44 PM
If it were a vancian caster, yes, however SoP says they should be 1sp/CL per use if you are taking the material casting drawback. I suppose I could just use ink, I think PF has modifications for different color ink(at the very least for tattoos).

Edit: Yeah, PFSRD copied SRD language, *2 price. Just increase to flask volume for paint instead of a vial would probably be fine. Would have liked a bit more of an official thing, but that’ll work for now.

Deophaun
2018-04-27, 06:54 PM
It's going to have to be arbitrary because the cost of various pigments varied wildly. Black was often charcoal based while red can just be rust, all cheap. Then you get to blue, which is ground up lapis lazuli, and purple, which came from grinding up a lot of a few specific species of snails and was even more expensive, hence why it was reserved for royalty. Even if you're doing color mixing, do you really want to mix rust in with your semiprecious stone?

Ruethgar
2018-04-27, 10:06 PM
Found it! Arms and equipment guide, page 40. 1sp to 50+ gp for 1lb depending on rarity. Say black and red are common, and blue/purple are either rare or exotic. EPA.gov puts household paint at about 10lb/gal so 1.25lb per flask.