PDA

View Full Version : Let's... Lets talk watching D&D streams: What level is most interesting for viewers to watch?

GerikRhineland
2018-04-27, 07:27 PM
Greetings fellow Gamers and Dungeon Masters!

My group and I are getting ready to stream our upcoming campaign, mostly for fun but if something else happens cool, but we are trying to think what level would be most fun for others to watch from. Level one can be fun because you're seeing the VERY beginning, getting to know the character and the skills from DAY ONE. However, it could be boring from a stand point that there is not much a player can do. So we're trying to get an idea of what people would be most interested in.

Thanks for reading, hoping to hear from you!

Lord Raziere
2018-04-27, 07:53 PM
From what I've seen, level doesn't actually matter.

I've seen Dnd Streams, and honestly the levels didn't really matter, because its about the character actions and how they make things interesting, what risks they take, what decisions they make in a situation. what situation that is can be anything as long as its an interesting situation and the players make something interesting from it. and of course some of the most memorable moments are when the streamers roll natural ones.

which shouldn't be hard. PCs tend to make their own interesting situations by being the PCs.

Anonymouswizard
2018-04-28, 01:22 AM
Building on the above, the important thing is having situations that characters can meaningfully interact with. In D&D this is relatively constantly broad across all levels, while higher levels allow you to meaningfully interact with more events they also render more events trivial.

The one real downside to low levels is how squishy characters can be, and arguably the lack of Raise Dead to mitigate character death. Depending on the GM this could end up anywhere from encounters being designed to be easy but seem hard, to characters dropping like flies, which may or may not be what the audience wants.

Other systems tend to stove this by having tougher beginning characters and having character sturdiness not scale as quickly, allowing the situations that are interesting are gated mainly by skill instead of meat.