PDA

View Full Version : Firefox Won't Let Me Access Email

Palanan
2018-04-27, 07:58 PM
So, over the course of the last fifteen minutes, Firefox has decided that Yahoo is somehow wanting, and it's refusing to allow me to access my email. "Peer's Certificate has been revoked," is the message, and goes on to claim the data cannot be authenticated.

I was able to access my email briefly by going back into the browsing history, but now that's not working either. I'm in the frustrating position of not knowing where the problem lies--whether it's a local issue with my own browser, a global issue with Yahoo, or something in between. Can someone help me understand the situation, and how to resolve it?

Bohandas
2018-04-27, 08:02 PM
Maybe it has something to do with the recent merger Yahoo was in with AOL and Verizon?

leafman
2018-04-27, 09:22 PM
It seems like a global issue. I can't access yahoo mail from firefox or chrome

Edit: Seems to be working now

thracian
2018-04-29, 01:01 AM
It was possibly the Symantec certificate smackdown by Google and Mozilla. Yahoo likely acquired a new certificate.

Palanan
2018-05-02, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by thracian
It was possibly the Symantec certificate smackdown by Google and Mozilla.

Interesting, thanks. What is this exactly?

thracian
2018-05-03, 04:58 PM
Google themselves (https://security.googleblog.com/2017/09/chromes-plan-to-distrust-symantec.html) can explain it far better than I could.

Palanan
2018-05-05, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by thracian
Google themselves can explain it far better than I could.

That’s probably a good summary from an industry perspective, but it makes absolutely zero sense to me.

Why do they want to “remove trust” in Symantec certificates? Will this actually have any benefit to ordinary users, or is this just corporate piranha-snapping swathed in the verbiage of customer protection?

Rogar Demonblud
2018-05-07, 10:51 AM
The short version is Symantec isn't even beginning to hold up against attacks any more.