PDA

View Full Version : Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes: what races do you think we will get

Amdy_vill
2018-04-28, 05:39 AM
so Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes has new races in it. what races for unearth arcana and old d&d editions do you think we will get. The drow videos mentions shadar kain and that there will be other elf sub-races so we know those are there any others we know and others people think would make good additions. i will keep a list below. i want to see thri kreen

Known
Shadar Kai
Eladrin
Tiefling
Duergar
Githyanki
Githzerai

Possible
Avariel
Sea Elves

Wanted
Thri Kreen
Genasi (variants and in a print book)
Dragonborn(variants)
Half-Other Races Tieflings(Faerunian Fay'ri/Demonfay ect)
Illithid/Mind Flayers
Foulspawn
Foulborn
Shardmind

Unoriginal
2018-04-28, 06:07 AM
We will get Shadar-kai, Eladrins, Tieflings and Duergars.

There is nearly 0% chances the Thri Keen will be in the book. It would be an huge surprise and require the designers to add an unannounced "other monster races" section.

Amdy_vill
2018-04-28, 06:13 AM
We will get Shadar-kai, Eladrins, Tieflings and Duergars.

There is nearly 0% chances the Thri Keen will be in the book. It would be an huge surprise and require the designers to add an unannounced "other monster races" section.

that seems like a lot fewer than i would expected. i would expected them adding at lest 6 in a volos guide like book but we have had books with around that number so it very well can be all we get. is there any race you would like to see?

Millstone85
2018-04-28, 06:19 AM
We will get Shadar-kai, Eladrins, Tieflings and Duergars.Also githyanki and githzerai, possibly the only new playable race per say, as opposed to just new subraces.

Amdy_vill
2018-04-28, 06:21 AM
Also githyanki and githzerai, possibly the only new playable race per say, as opposed to just new subraces.

now that feels more like the number of races we should get.

Unoriginal
2018-04-28, 06:23 AM
Also githyanki and githzerai, possibly the only new playable race per say, as opposed to just new subraces.

You're right, you're right, I somehow forgot about them.

Amdy_vill
2018-04-28, 06:33 AM

so is there any race you would like to see that have not been announced.

Millstone85
2018-04-28, 06:33 AM
What I forgot is if avariel and sea elves were ever confirmed to be in MToF.

It would make sense, because those were in the same UA than eladrin and shadar-kai. Also, MToF is announced to describe how the original elves got stuck in a variety of forms.

so is there any race you would like to see that have not been announced.The shardmind and foulborn, though they should probably be released along with the mystic class.

Then again, so should the gith.

Requilac
2018-04-28, 06:47 AM
so Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes has new races in it. what races for unearth arcana and old d&d editions do you think we will get. The drow videos mentions shadar kain and that there will be other elf sub-races so we know those are there any others we know and others people think would make good additions. i will keep a list below. i want to see thri kreen

Known
Shadar Kai
Eladrin
Tiefling
Duergar
Githyanki
Githzerai

Possible
Avariel
Sea Elves

Wanted
Thri Kreen

Wait a second, don’t we already have Eldarin (DMG), Tiefling variants (SCAG), Duergar (SCAG), and Sea Elves (SCAG)? Were they just reprinting them or something? The Shadar Kai, Gith, and Avariel are new but the other seem to already have been created.

Millstone85
2018-04-28, 06:54 AM
Wait a second, don’t we already have Eldarin (DMG),Like we had the DMG's aasimar as another example of what a DM could create, but then got VGtM's aasimar.

Tiefling variants (SCAG), Duergar (SCAG),Now that does feel repetitive.

and Sea Elves (SCAG)?Weirdly enough, SCAG has crunch for aquatic half-elves, but not for sea elves themselves.

Unoriginal
2018-04-28, 07:08 AM
There will be MORE Tiefling variants. Probably one for each Lords of the Nine.

The Duergar might be a reprint, but there will likely be new options.

Amdy_vill
2018-04-28, 07:16 AM
There will be MORE Tiefling variants. Probably one for each Lords of the Nine.

The Duergar might be a reprint, but there will likely be new options.

so it more like we are getting 10+ races if that is true.

Unoriginal
2018-04-28, 07:22 AM
so it more like we are getting 10+ races if that is true.

Well it'd mostly be variations on which spells and which energy the tiefling uses/is resistant to

Amdy_vill
2018-04-28, 07:24 AM
Well it'd mostly be variations on which spells and which energy the tiefling uses/is resistant to

ya. so not really more races. still is there any race you would like to see in the book

Unoriginal
2018-04-28, 07:28 AM
ya. so not really more races. still is there any race you would like to see in the book

Actually, I forgot that some of the variant Tieflings will also have one of their racial modifier (the +1, IIRC) in another stat than the PHB version, so we are effectively getting a lot of new subraces.

As for what I would like to see, well, it's kind of too late for that kind of questioning. We have the complete list, more or less, anything else would be very, very, very unlikely.

Amdy_vill
2018-04-28, 07:32 AM
Actually, I forgot that some of the variant Tieflings will also have one of their racial modifier (the +1, IIRC) in another stat than the PHB version, so we are effectively getting a lot of new subraces.

As for what I would like to see, well, it's kind of too late for that kind of questioning. We have the complete list, more or less, anything else would be very, very, very unlikely.

we could always get a monsterus race section

Unoriginal
2018-04-28, 07:35 AM

Possible, but very, very, very unlikely.

Millstone85
2018-04-28, 08:05 AM
Possible, but very, very, very unlikely.This picture (https://www.fantasygrounds.com//images/screenshots/Screenshots/WOTC5EMTOF/MordyOne.jpg) seems to indicate six chapters:
* Chapter 1: The Blood War
* Chapter 2: Elves
* Chapter 3: Dwarves and Duergar
* Chapter 4: Gith and Their Endless War
* Chapter 5: Halflings and Gnomes
* Chapter 6: Bestiary

Then this picture (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dbvna0RUQAARoVW.jpg) shows that tiefling subraces appear in the devilish half of the first chapter (but not in the demonic one, unlike cambions :smallannoyed:).

It is clear where elven subraces, duergar and gith will appear.

Could the bestiary have a playable section of its own? Maybe. But yeah, no sign of it so far.

Unoriginal
2018-04-28, 08:12 AM
I think they made clear that Tieflings were devilish, not demonic.

Amdy_vill
2018-04-28, 01:59 PM

in this edition but there still is lore until it is changed that saids other wise

Millstone85
2018-04-28, 02:07 PM
in this edition but there still is lore until it is changed that saids other wiseAnd there is a lore-focused book coming with a chapter on the Blood War, where there are both infernal and abyssal cambions but only infernal tieflings.

It is the final nail on that coffin.

I am not angry, just mildly disappointed.

Naanomi
2018-04-28, 07:03 PM
I was hoping we would get Genasi in a print book here as well

Falren
2018-04-28, 07:49 PM
I was hoping we would get Genasi in a print book here as well

Considering that they have them in PotA as well as the online Elemental Evil player's companion, I find it hard to believe that they'd put them in a third supplement.

Naanomi
2018-04-28, 07:54 PM
Considering that they have them in PotA as well as the online Elemental Evil player's companion, I find it hard to believe that they'd put them in a third supplement.
Perhaps. I just don’t carry around my adventure books, and the EE player’s guide is mangled frequently even when laminated... Svirfneblin got a reprint and it wouldn’t be hard to add to another product... maybe I’ll have to wait for a formal ‘planar handbook’ of some sort

Asmotherion
2018-04-29, 03:04 AM
-If we get Gith races, might as well get a playable version of the Illithid/Mind Flayers... Not anything too broken, something that will gradually get Racial Abilities through a combination of Leveling Up and Racial Feats?

-Half-Other Races Tieflings. I'm mostly thinking of Faerunian Fay'ri/Demonfay, but an imp-looking tiefling that is, lore-wise, a half gnome/half tiefling is also quite interesting as a trope.

-#Save the Dragonborns. Make them cooler. Make their Breath Weapon function like Dragon's Breath (as the Spell), add them a single-target pseudo-cantrip of their element when they're out of breath. Or at least make their breath weapon recharge on a d6. Optionally refluff as Dragonians.

-More Genasi Variants. Like, some from the Elemental Chaos would make interesting choices. I'd love to play a Steam or Smoke Genasi.

Those are mostly my thoughts/hopes on the matter.

Mikaleus
2018-04-29, 10:35 AM
I'm really looking forward to the Eladrin and how each season will affect their abilities.

I also second Dragonborn and Genasi getting more variations in future content (as I believe it won't be in MTofF).

Falren
2018-04-29, 11:00 AM
-If we get Gith races, might as well get a playable version of the Illithid/Mind Flayers... Not anything too broken, something that will gradually get Racial Abilities through a combination of Leveling Up and Racial Feats?

Sorry to disappoint, but Mike Mearls (at least I'm pretty sure it was Mike) promised that we would never get playable Illithid. At least not in 5e.

Honest Tiefling
2018-04-29, 11:14 AM

The Player's Handbook indicates that the ancestors of tieflings made pacts with the Big A. the SCAG on the other hand indicates that all tieflings, regardless of origin, became the type of tiefling Asmodeus would create (AKA, the default), making them...Sorta infernal? The SCAG also provides traits for the winged and feral variants which are NOT of Asmodeus but only playable with DM permission. This implies that these tieflings are most likely created after the curse, or are possibly even throwbacks.

Note that the SCAG does not prohibit tieflings of a divine origin, which existed all the way back in third edition. I know that getting these tieflings is unlikely, as is getting tieflings of non-human origin...But a tiefling can hope, right?

Millstone85
2018-04-29, 11:43 AM
Sorry to disappoint, but Mike Mearls (at least I'm pretty sure it was Mike) promised that we would never get playable Illithid. At least not in 5e.It has not yet been added to the list, but I mentioned wanting the foulborn.

In 4e, the foulspawn were humanoids touched by the Far Realm (They were also recycled ushemoi from earlier editions, but let's not dwell on that). The foulborn were the watered-down playable version.

There is a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIfxU5HIfJs) explaining how MToF will have star spawn, which will somehow merge the 4e concepts of star spawn and foulspawn. My guess is that they will simply make Acamar, Caiphon, Gibbeth, Hadar and other living stars (already mentioned in VGtM) even more explicitly linked to the Far Realm.

It is quite a stretch, I know, but maybe somewhere down the line we will get "starborn" and those will have subraces or racial feats to take after various aberrations, like aboleths, beholders and illithids.

The SCAG also provides traits for the winged and feral variants which are NOT of Asmodeus but only playable with DM permission.Thing is, I believe that entire sidebar is linked to a sentence found on the same page: "Since the ritual that spread the curse of Asmodeus a century ago, tieflings have been born on Faerûn that belong to other infernal bloodlines". So yeah, not Asmodeus, but still a devil.

Honest Tiefling
2018-04-29, 11:50 AM
Thing is, I believe that entire sidebar is linked to a sentence found on the same page: "Since the ritual that spread the curse of Asmodeus a century ago, tieflings have been born on Faerûn that belong to other infernal bloodlines". So yeah, not Asmodeus, but still a devil.

Which is entirely correct, but confusing. I mean, you'd think the feral bloodline would be connected to demons. Demons not bothering to make tieflings also seems like a strange retcon, and one that should probably be explained in my opinion. I can see why they don't have the divine tieflings anymore, through some were quite flavorful.

DracoKnight
2018-04-30, 05:49 AM
I mean, you'd think the feral bloodline would be connected to demons.

Worldbuilding Anecdote: In my games, Feral Tieflings are made by Rakshasa, and have a more feline appearance.

Carry on.

Naanomi
2018-04-30, 07:44 AM
And of course tieflings could be tied to other fiends as well... yugoloth, gehreleth, baernoloth... miscellaneous...

Amdy_vill
2018-04-30, 07:46 AM
And of course tieflings could be tied to other fiends as well... yugoloth, gehreleth, baernoloth... miscellaneous...

that would be interesting to see but 5e is setting up the lore change of tieflings only being devilish

Naanomi
2018-04-30, 07:58 AM
that would be interesting to see but 5e is setting up the lore change of tieflings only being devilish
Meh, they also changed yugoloth to being the first and oldest of the modern fiend races in the Grey Wastes (birthed from the original masters of proto-Evil before the precursors to tanar’ri and baatezu existed) to being night-hag creations in Gehenna; possibly at the behest of ‘we have to mention him for everything evil’ Asmodeus... which I also ignore freely and reflexively

Amdy_vill
2018-04-30, 08:02 AM
Meh, they also changed yugoloth to being the first and oldest of the modern fiend races in the Grey Wastes (birthed from the original masters of proto-Evil before the precursors to tanar’ri and baatezu existed) to being night-hag creations in Gehenna; possibly at the behest of ‘we have to mention him for everything evil’ Asmodeus... which I also ignore freely and reflexively

this edition has changed a lot of lore

Naanomi
2018-04-30, 08:18 AM
this edition has changed a lot of lore
Less than 4e (unless you count ‘forgetting about 4e lore’ as changing lore). I’ll fully admit I’m stuck in 2e Planescape lore mode for 90% of my preferred stuff... makes me worried they are going to talk about the Bloodwar in this book without even mentioning the precursor War of Law and Chaos. I’m sure Asmodeus started it instead...

Amdy_vill
2018-04-30, 08:28 AM
Less than 4e (unless you count ‘forgetting about 4e lore’ as changing lore). I’ll fully admit I’m stuck in 2e Planescape lore mode for 90% of my preferred stuff... makes me worried they are going to talk about the Bloodwar in this book without even mentioning the precursor War of Law and Chaos. I’m sure Asmodeus started it instead...

true i do believe 4e changed the most lore

Unoriginal
2018-04-30, 08:33 AM
Thing to consider: we might get stats for stygian and astral ships, possibly in an appendix.

Amdy_vill
2018-04-30, 08:35 AM
Thing to consider: we might get stats for stygian and astral ships, possibly in an appendix.

that would be cool. those are the spell jammer like ship but for the astral and ethereal planes?

Honest Tiefling
2018-04-30, 11:28 AM

I feel like a lot of editions (pathfinder included) keep trying to find a niche for Yugoloths and never being happy with it. Yugoloths: The Forgotten Fiends. I can't even remember what was up wit them in 4e.

Through I tend to avoid them for tieflings because I really don't trust my groups to ask about fishy bits of the tieflings in question.

Worldbuilding Anecdote: In my games, Feral Tieflings are made by Rakshasa, and have a more feline appearance.

I kinda like this idea. Still lawful evil, but a bit more variation. I mean, one could make the argument that demonic tieflings shouldn't exist because there is no way a mortal could tolerate chaotic energies without exploding or something.