PDA

View Full Version : Just a Quick Question

TheBrassDuke
2018-04-28, 10:05 AM
You can place another spell upon your person so that it comes into effect under some condition you dictate when casting contingency.

So I’ve read it many times in the past; my parties and I have used it plenty, but recently while perusing the web and discussing with other players, another person and I hit a snag: upon death, would the Contingency resolve?

I’m asking because, as a Sandshaper with the capstone power, I’m heavily reliant on the Wasteland environment for my resurrection. Now, I could easily cut off a finger or give a bit of flesh to my familiar in case I die...but there’s no guarantee it would make it in time/at all. A cult could easily assist me if I’m into lording one about, however, these options aren’t that viable.

I’d also considered that jar of sand (1 lb I think?) I’d carry around with me to keep my Wasteland powers potent; I could simply put a pinky in there and be alright, no?

Anyway, I went somewhat off-track here.

Contingency allows me to set certain specific conditions for another spell to be cast, and I was wondering if it would be at all possible to mix that with Teleport (with a destination in place) or Word of Recall (to a pre-built tomb beneath the sands) that activates “upon the last beat of my heart in this current life”, or something similar. I was told it fizzles upon death, but if I’m specifying that it should activate when my body is close to death...should work, right? My body, and I’m sure great magic, could and should be able to “feel” if I’m about to die.

Just a bit confused, and I thought I’d pose the question.

Thanks in advance!

Malimar
2018-04-28, 10:20 AM
Unless they're "Duration: Concentration", spells don't go away or fizzle when you die or go unconscious. Your wording would work, but "upon my death" would also work.

BowStreetRunner
2018-04-28, 10:48 PM
The usual source of these arguments stems from the fact that when a living creature dies in the game it ceases to be a creature and becomes an object - a corpse. So the question is whether at the point of your death you are still a valid target for Contingency and Teleport.

TheBrassDuke
2018-04-29, 09:41 AM
Yes, exactly. Which is why I would have the Contingency resolve when this character was just on the very cusp of death, and I think the spell would sort of know when this is happening.