PDA

View Full Version : Crossbow build help

intregus
2018-04-28, 11:20 AM
So I want to make a spelless Revised Ranger beast master with a panther. I'm human variant picking up magic initiate for find familiar and message and acid splash.
I'll grab archery fighting style at level 2
At level 4 I'm picking up sharpshooter

We rolled stats
Str 10
Dex18
Con14
Int 10
Wis 14
Cha 12

I see the character as stealthy and a scout. He isn't magical, hence spelless ranger, and I'm refluffing the spells I get from magic initiate to be not magical.

I figure my familiar (an eagle or something with flight)will always use the help action on it's turn so I have advantage on my one attack and using sharpshooter I should be able to get the +10 damage fairly regularly. When we aren't in combat I'll use the message cantrip to issue commands to my familiar and panther(I'm fluffing it as like a dog whistle only the animals can hear)

I'm not sure what to take for my second cantrip from the wizard list that I could refluff as not magical so any ideas would be appreciated.

I'm not sure where to take the build from level 4. Should I stay in Revised Ranger till level 8 for the other ASI? Do I need extra attack by going fighter for 5 levels? If I go fighter I'll probably need to grab the crossbow expert feat but my dm will probably let me pay more to have a double barrelled heavy crossbow so I can make 2 attacks before needing to use my BA to reload.

Right now I'm thinking of going ranger 8/rogue scout 12 but I'm just not sure if I should get extra attack and go fighter instead.

Also since I'll be investing in dex I'll stick with studded leather unless someone has a better idea.

Any advice or direction would be helpful. Thanks!

Crgaston
2018-04-29, 01:14 PM
You want the owl familiar, most likely, because it can fly in, help, and fly out without drawing an OA thanks to its Flyby feature.

I like the idea for the Message cantrip!

CTurbo
2018-04-29, 01:23 PM
You need to ask your DM if your companion will only level up with Ranger levels in which case it would be foolish to multiclass. If he will let your companion level up with character levels then yes I would probably multiclass into Fighter as the Ranger is a very front loaded class. Fighter gets you a second Fighting Style(Defensive), Action surge, Second Wind, Battle Master or Champion, extra attack, and extra ASI.

There is a lot of synergy with Rogue too but I feel like Fighter gets you more, and yes I would probably take the Crossbow Expert feat if you plan on using a hand crossbow. If not, Stick with a Heavy Crossbow.

intregus
2018-04-30, 12:18 PM
DM said my companion will go off of character level not ranger level.

I plan on using a heavy crossbow not a hand crossbow, for RP.

So if I'm going with heavy crossbow you don't think I need the crossbow expert feat?

Vogie
2018-04-30, 03:28 PM
What they're saying is:

Since you will only have a single attack, you don't need the feat to remove the loading property of the heavy crossbow, as loading is part of the attack action, but only once/turn. You would need to remove the loading property to have multiple attacks in a turn, but BM Hunter only gives you a Coordinated attack, not an extra attack. This removes 1/3rd of the use of the Crossbow Expert Feat.
While using a heavy crossbow, which is a 2 hand weapon, you cannot use the offhand attack action for hand crossbows (for example, hit with rapier then shoot with hand crossbow in the other hand via this feat as a bonus action). This removes another 1/3rd of the Crossbow Expert Feat.
The final part of the Crossbow Expert Feat is the removal of disadvantage when a target is within 5 feet. You can still use this... however, since you do not have #2 as an option, the likelihood that you'll be in melee range of an enemy is slim.

This is not normally the case, but in your specific build, at the level you are, you won't need that feat.

You could pick it up later on, in case you MC into a class with multiple attacks, or decide to switch to a more Van Helsing style of duel wielding, or decide you want to use Swift Quiver spell starting at Ranger Level 17, or any combination thereof. In those cases, you'd want to pickup Crossbow Expert.

Lord8Ball
2018-04-30, 08:51 PM
You should consider taking ritual caster in wizard to get find familiar. Unlike mage initiate, it scales in power as well as getting you more spells with higher spell power in the long run. As a bonus, those spells do not cost a spell slot.

KnotaGuru
2018-04-30, 11:10 PM
You should consider taking ritual caster in wizard to get find familiar. Unlike mage initiate, it scales in power as well as getting you more spells with higher spell power in the long run. As a bonus, those spells do not cost a spell slot.

Need a 13 Intelligence for wizard ritual duels, or 13 Wisdom for cleric/druid spells.