PDA

View Full Version : Best feature as if any single stat was 30?

bid
2018-04-28, 01:59 PM
Reading Greywander's everyclass 20, everystat 30, I wonder which feature gains the most from having stat 30. I'm more interested in why you think it'd be good, so I'll pick a simple one.

War priest is a feature of war domain clerics.
Having that feature as if you had Wis30 would give 10 extra attack per day, starting from level 1. It gives you a second chance at divine strike, in case you missed the first time. Since it uses your BA, it weakens spiritual weapon and other spell.
Overall, not that useful at high level.

EDIT:
Yeah well... If one person doesn't understand it's reading comprehension. if half don't, the fault lies in the poster.:smallcool:

So:
- pick a single feature,
- replace all reference to Wis modifier (or whichever single stat) to a flat +10 (same as if Wis30 was used for that feature),
- explain what makes this interesting (good combat power, cool RP effect, ...)

CTurbo
2018-04-28, 02:08 PM
Wis 30 doesn't weaken Spiritual Weapon, it makes it stronger since it's damage would be 1d8+10 per attack.
War Priest is NOT a good feature and is only relevant until level 2 unless you seriously invest in a GWM Greataxe build and even then an upcasted SW would still be better.

Dex 30 would probably be best since it boosts AC, Initiative, and many classes attacks. No other stat boosts so much.

NecroDancer
2018-04-28, 02:45 PM
I'd say the barbarian's unarmored defense is best assuming constitution is 30. You would have a +10 bonus to AC and your HP would be sky high.

Although the ability to cast spells is probably the most broken since almost any enemy will fail their saving throw if your spell casting stat is 30.

Blood of Gaea
2018-04-28, 03:10 PM
Probably either Agonizing Blast, Extra Attack (3), or Aura of Protection.

With 30 in all stats, you're getting +10 to all saving throws, on top of the +10-16 you already have in them. You literally can't roll a saving throw lower than 21 with this.

Spellcasting in general also gets a huge buff by making their DC 5 points higher.

Unoriginal
2018-04-28, 03:23 PM
Reading Greywander's everyclass 20, everystat 30, I wonder which feature gains the most from having stat 30. I'm more interested in why you think it'd be good, so I'll pick a simple one.

Which feature gains the most with stat 30?

A lvl 20 Fighter's Extra Attacks.

Grab a Large Greatsword. You don't care about Disadvantage when you have +17 to hit.

We're talking about 4d6+10 damages with each hit, not counting the crits on 18+.

That's an average of 22 damages per hit, four time a round, with high chances to hit against most creatures. So easily 66-88 damages per round with no ressource spent.

Kaliayev
2018-04-28, 04:42 PM
I'm limiting this strictly to the language of a given feature, ignoring other aspects of a given class:

Bladesong with +10 AC and +10 to concentration saving throws.

Bardic inspiration for 10 contributions of 1d12 to a roll of the recipient's choice.

Dark one's blessing for for +30 temp hp when you kill a hostile creature.

Psionic resilience for +10 temp hp every round.

Scornful rebuke for 10 psychic retribution damage whenever you're hit with an attack.

Sentinel at death's door for 10 instances of crit negation.

Infuse magic for 10 infused items.

StorytellerHero
2018-04-28, 05:08 PM
Since Intelligence modifier will affect a wizard's max number of prepared spells, the wizard's spell casting stands to gain a lot from a high Intelligence score.

In the hands of a capable wizard player, having more prepared spells could make the difference between life and death in a tight spot.

bid
2018-04-28, 05:19 PM
Wis 30 doesn't weaken Spiritual Weapon, it makes it stronger since it's damage would be 1d8+10 per attack.
Uh, no. A single feature.
If you use it on war priest, your spiritual weapon would still do 1d8+3.

Now, you could say applying the Wis30 to the entire spellcasting feature would give spiritual weapon 1d8+10, that's stretching it a little but ok. Or you could limit it to the spellcasting ability and get +10 on to hit and DC (but not damage).

A +10 from Cha30 as a spell damage modifier is a valid choice for draconic bloodline sorcerer as it matches the elemental affinity feature. For other classes, it doesn't seem to come from a feature, but it's still a creative use of the asked goal.

Just to be clear, I purposefully picked a bad choice because I want everyone to enjoy finding better answers.

bid
2018-04-28, 05:22 PM
Although the ability to cast spells is probably the most broken since almost any enemy will fail their saving throw if your spell casting stat is 30.
Yeah that's prolly one of the strongest. Save or suck spells become suck spells.:smallbiggrin:

Agonizing blast is a nice sub-feature, and while extra attack does not mention modifiers, it's still a good contender for damage.
Bladesong has a nice double-dip too.

Blood of Gaea
2018-04-29, 12:22 AM
Yeah that's prolly one of the strongest. Save or suck spells become suck spells.:smallbiggrin:

Agonizing blast is a nice sub-feature, and while extra attack does not mention modifiers, it's still a good contender for damage.
Bladesong has a nice double-dip too.
Extra Attack (3) is good for the same reason Agonizing Blast is, you're applying your +10 Mod to four different attacks, meaning you're really leveraging the higher modifier.

And that's considering it in a vacuum without access to Action Surge or GWM. :smalltongue:

Jake92
2018-04-29, 12:50 AM
I'd be ok adding life drinker to my bladelock attacks too, along with the agonizing blast spamming.

Laserlight
2018-04-29, 06:56 AM
If I had 30 in WIS, INT, CHA, and Expertise in Insight, Deception and Persuasion, I'm pretty sure I could take over the economy. Why risk my HP for treasure when I can buy low and sell high?

bid
2018-04-29, 11:26 AM
Extra Attack (3) is good for the same reason Agonizing Blast is, you're applying your +10 Mod to four different attacks, meaning you're really leveraging the higher modifier.
Yes, although the application of the +10 Mod is in the Damage Rules on p196, which is not quite a feature. The extra attack feature does not mention damage modifier, the application is indirect.

I still think it's a nice, single spot, where the modifier is applied. I'm hoping to find something less obvious that gives more than mere damage, though.

Zonugal
2018-04-29, 11:47 AM
If I could have 30 in any one attribute I'd definitely choose Charisma.

The primary feature I'd use with such a score is the Paladin's Aura of Protection.

After that I'd go with Order of Devotion for the Channel Divinity: Sacred Weapon and use it in conjunction with a Hexblade Warlock.

The final build would look something like: Oath of Devotion Paladin 8/Hexblade Warlock 12

I would be the prettiest adventurer.

Crgaston
2018-04-29, 12:02 PM
A good case could be made for Glamor Bard’s Mantle of Inspiration. 10 allies each get 14THP plus a free dash/disengage as a reaction x 10 uses per short rest?

By L15, that’s 1400 THP in a minute. Throw this on some Conjured Animals (upcast for 24 panthers or something similarly ridiculous) and watch the fur fly.

LordNibbler
2018-04-29, 12:15 PM
Aura of Protection
+10 to ALL saves for EVERYONE in the aura, a 30’ radius once you hit 18th level. That’s a game-changer.

CTurbo
2018-04-29, 01:13 PM
So a 20th level Barb will have a 34 Str and 34 Con? Sounds legit

Tubben
2018-04-29, 01:25 PM
So a 20th level Barb will have a 34 Str and 34 Con? Sounds legit

In any way, stats can't be raised >30 :-)

bid
2018-04-29, 04:46 PM
Aura of Protection
+10 to ALL saves for EVERYONE in the aura, a 30’ radius once you hit 18th level. That’s a game-changer.
Yeah, that's another strong one. Nice find!

bid
2018-04-29, 04:54 PM
A good case could be made for Glamor Bard’s Mantle of Inspiration. 10 allies each get 14THP plus a free dash/disengage as a reaction x 10 uses per short rest?
Large parties aren't that common, applying it to 4-5 is usually enough. Applying it to the bardic inspiration feature is great, 10 uses per short rest is almost unlimited.

Crgaston
2018-04-29, 06:24 PM
Large parties aren't that common, applying it to 4-5 is usually enough. Applying it to the bardic inspiration feature is great, 10 uses per short rest is almost unlimited.

Right, but it says "creatures you can see" so that could include summoned creatures in addition to your party. And isn't the point of a thought exercise involving a theoretical maximized stat to theoretically maximize? :)

Yep, 10 Cutting Words would be super dope as well.

Edit: and an extra 80d6/ short rest for Whispers Bard.

CTurbo
2018-04-29, 08:06 PM
@Jake92

Oathbreaker Paladin adds Charisma mod to damage(+10) per attack and gets an extra 1d8 to all attacks.
Death Cleric can deal an extra (+45) damage on 3 attacks per short rest. Also an extra 2d8 one attack per round.
Protector Aasimar adds extra damage equal to it's level (+20) once per turn.
Bladesinger adds Int mod (+10) to damage per attack.

I'm sure I missed some

strangebloke
2018-04-29, 10:54 PM
If I could have 30 in any one attribute I'd definitely choose Charisma.

The primary feature I'd use with such a score is the Paladin's Aura of Protection.

After that I'd go with Order of Devotion for the Channel Divinity: Sacred Weapon and use it in conjunction with a Hexblade Warlock.

The final build would look something like: Oath of Devotion Paladin 8/Hexblade Warlock 12

I would be the prettiest adventurer.

Aura of Protection

This is my pick.

No one will even have to roll for a concentration check if they take less than ~24 damage in a single hit. Your wizard will have a better CON save than a 20th level fighter with +5 CON. Your Barbarian will have a better will save than a cleric with +5 WIS.

My actual build would be something like Hex 1, Conquest Paladin 19. You never miss, your allies never fail a save, and your enemies never succeed on one against you. Grovel, Grovel! Though I see the appeal of the Devo Paladin as well. +20 Attack, +35 damage, here I come!

Angelalex242
2018-04-29, 11:39 PM
This is my pick.

No one will even have to roll for a concentration check if they take less than ~24 damage in a single hit. Your wizard will have a better CON save than a 20th level fighter with +5 CON. Your Barbarian will have a better will save than a cleric with +5 WIS.

My actual build would be something like Hex 1, Conquest Paladin 19. You never miss, your allies never fail a save, and your enemies never succeed on one against you. Grovel, Grovel! Though I see the appeal of the Devo Paladin as well. +20 Attack, +35 damage, here I come!

I'm in agreement with Paladin and Aura. I'm personally fondest of Ancients Paladin, though, for ultimate tanking.