PDA

View Full Version : Order of the Stick Costumes at DragonCon 2007!

siredgar
2007-09-03, 09:09 PM
My wife and I along with another couple dressed up as Order of the Stick characters for Dragon*Con this year. It was my first try at putting together unique costumes and we had a blast. It seemed like a couple hundred people took our picture and I'm hoping to find some -- if you were there and saw us, please post them!

We went as Roy (pre-death. A lot of people told us we needed X's over his eyes!), Thog, Redcloak, and the Creature in the Darkness.

The couple of photos I took are located at:
http://arcadecontrols.com/DragonCon-2007/

These are in our room preparing to go out.

http://arcadecontrols.com/DragonCon-2007/small-DSCN4774.JPG

http://arcadecontrols.com/DragonCon-2007/small-DSCN4776.JPG

(If you click the main link above you'll see slightly larger 800x600 versions. Really big versions available if anyone wants them)

Hope Rich doesn't mind the homage we paid to his creation - thanks for bringing OOTS into our lives Rich!

--- John St.Clair

*Edit* Changed title to more accurately reflect thread contents.

Green Bean
2007-09-03, 09:12 PM
Those are very awesome. My favourite would have to be the MitD. He looks so innocent. :smallbiggrin:

BRC
2007-09-03, 09:13 PM
Nice MitD, Redcloak was cool too.

mockingbyrd7
2007-09-03, 10:32 PM
Wow, those are awesome.

kpenguin
2007-09-03, 11:01 PM
Call the marketing department! We need to capitalize on this! This Halloween, the children of OotS fans everywhere will be wearing OotS costumes.

Shadic
2007-09-03, 11:12 PM
The heads are kinda creepy looking, but well put together regardless.

I've gotta say, MITD was definitely the best, though.

Edna
2007-09-03, 11:39 PM
Those are great!

How did you make the heads?

Edna

Dragon_Keeper
2007-09-03, 11:55 PM
Nice. How long did you spend working on those costumes?

Ryshan Ynrith
2007-09-04, 12:12 AM
Awesome! I saw the MiTD in line for tickets on Friday...if you remember a dark-haired guy in shorts and a Sluggy Freelance t-shirt in line for badges, that was me.

Icewalker
2007-09-04, 12:24 AM
I don't really like the heads, personally, but VERY impressive. I like the MitD, Thog's axe, and the phylactery in particular.

Valiena
2007-09-04, 12:24 AM
Awesome. I am jealous, my 300 outfit seems not so cool now..

The Glitter Ninja
2007-09-04, 01:43 AM
They're really great! I also love the :mitd: the best.

Lissou
2007-09-04, 01:56 AM
I... really don't want to sound mean or anything, but you got the kitties wrong. The lower part of their faces is a nose in the middle, and 3 whiskers on each side. ( I think it's 3). And I think it's not what's on the picture.
This being said, well done. Must have been a LOT of work.
And if it makes you feel better, I realised what the kitties on the umbrella actually look like after I completed the chess piece (was VERY annoying to paint, it's so small) and to this day I haven't corrected it :p I'll do it... eventually...
At least I haven't done the doll yet, I'll know how to do it for this one.

Also, I think my favourite is the Creature too, mostly because i have a weird feeling about the others' faces, like the mouths and eyes are too high or something. i wish I could have seen them for real ^^
Also, I hope other people will have taken pictures and posted them.

Please, please, please, don't be mad at me for my criticisms. I'm not being negative just to be mean, but because I can't help it, even though I know it's not even something you can change anymore. Sorry about that.

Oh, and I realised what the kitties actually look like by reading the printed version. I guess the image is bigger in the books than online.

Lord Herman
2007-09-04, 02:27 AM
The Creature in the Darkness is awesome! Great work.

Mizak
2007-09-04, 09:27 AM
These costumes are awesome! I was standing in the Stargate line and I saw the heads go by over the crowd and recognized them and wanted to get a pic but wasn't able to. I'm glad you posted pics here. Thanks!

Mugen Nightgale
2007-09-04, 09:43 AM
thats awesome!!

Dutcher0033
2007-09-04, 09:51 AM
He I got pics and will be posting them as soon as I get me pics off my Camera and onto the Computer.

Elfanatic
2007-09-04, 10:29 AM
Nice costumes! But...where are the eyeholes?:smallconfused:

arlanakavallas
2007-09-04, 10:32 AM
I thought you guys were awesome. The only bad thing is that I didn't get my own picture of all of you...=(

Ecalsneerg
2007-09-04, 01:29 PM
That first picture of the MitD looked like it was the actual picture photoshopped in until I noticed the umbrella was real. Scary.

Tirian
2007-09-04, 04:03 PM
That MitD costume is the greatest thing ever. WANT!

Even just having a quarter of it to wedge into a room corner would be an outstanding conversation piece.

Threeshades
2007-09-04, 04:32 PM
So... can you guys see in those costumes? ^^ (i suppose the mouth is covered with a thin black fabric to see through)

But theyre really awesome. The Mitd one is absolutely adorable. The others have a bit of creepiness, especially redcloak but they're really awesome (any one else have a deja-vu?).
I would have loved to see a Xykon though ^^

prongs43
2007-09-04, 05:01 PM

But Xykon's right there! You didn't see him on Redcloak?

Seriously, really great costumes. They give me ideas.

siredgar
2007-09-04, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the great comments! I've found a few candid photos, hoping for more :)

Some answers:

How did you make the heads?
Edna

Paper Mache, at least 5 layers, then paint. The mouths are open with a wire mesh and black cloth so we can see out. Very small portal to see out of! I took a favorite pose from the online comic, printed it out blown up to the right size, and used the layout of the mouth and eyes to get things in accurate proportions.

Nice. How long did you spend working on those costumes?

Each layer of paper mache took 24 hours to fully dry, but all told I spent probably a month off and on working on them.

I... really don't want to sound mean or anything, but you got the kitties wrong. The lower part of their faces is a nose in the middle, and 3 whiskers on each side. ( I think it's 3).

You done got me there, I'm going to have to look at my books again when I unpack :) There was one other MITD I saw and they did it essentially the same (with the fangs). Really hard to tell blown up though, and I did do it from the online version. I'll peek at my book :) (Oh, and I'm not offended by any criticism. I'm not an artist and I don't take it personally, this was just for fun. I appreciate the feeback!)

He I got pics and will be posting them as soon as I get me pics off my Camera and onto the Computer.

Awesome, please post here :)

Nice costumes! But...where are the eyeholes?

When I did Redcloak at first I cut out the eyeholes, but that didn't work well and the height of your head in the mask essentially meant the eyeholes were worthless anyway. We saw out of the mouth-hole. Very limited field of vision.

We wanted to do a full Xykon also but time and real life got in the way. I thought our solution was a good one though :)

============

Other candid shots if anyone wants to see them:

http://www.milamberrex.com/displayimage.php?pos=-3535

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v27/Ashley14/DragonCon%202007/?action=view&current=DSCN3159.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/speaker/1315717116/in/set-72157601814791523

http://picasaweb.google.com/schrotn/Dragoncon2007/photo#5106190395876475698

http://picasaweb.google.com/schrotn/Dragoncon2007/photo#5106190236962685730

(someone got a good shot of one of Roy's sayings here)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ducttapeavenger/1324109639/

Thanks again for the kind comments everyone!

--- siredgar

Arymetore
2007-09-04, 07:32 PM
I don't have my pics up yet, but hopefully soon will. I did catch a pic of a MiTD in the parade. Someone else had one of the demon roaches dangling from a string in front of him. Was that one you?

Tharr
2007-09-04, 07:37 PM
The GenCon 2006 had someone dress up as V and yes hundreds of people grabbed his crotch place yelling male just like we knew. They announcer said he casts spells as wizard and now everyone claims V is male. Now please do not go as V unless you want people to grab your crotch and then running away from you then very glad.

siredgar
2007-09-04, 07:38 PM
I don't have my pics up yet, but hopefully soon will. I did catch a pic of a MiTD in the parade. Someone else had one of the demon roaches dangling from a string in front of him. Was that one you?

The MiTD in the parade was not our costume :)

StickMan
2007-09-04, 10:15 PM
Oh you rock so much.

Sheyna
2007-09-04, 10:33 PM
Hahahaha ... Siredgar. Check yourself on the grammar on Thog's sign. It's gramatically correct! Maybe it should read "Thog like puppies." Sorry ... habit of being a copy editor, but I think this is the first time I've ever told someone to make something incorrect!!! :smalltongue:

That small point aside, well done!!! Especially MitD, spot on!!

Kurald Galain
2007-09-05, 01:55 AM
Those signs are awesome :)

Vargtass
2007-09-05, 04:37 AM
I just noticed the spyglass on Redcloak, complete with price tag! Awesome!

Lissou
2007-09-05, 05:29 AM
(Oh, and I'm not offended by any criticism. I'm not an artist and I don't take it personally, this was just for fun. I appreciate the feeback!)

Then, I'll add that I can't see the umbrealla's handle :p. Although that would have been hard to do. i'm guessing it would have needed to be cloth or it would have been too heavy. Also, you need the person inside to be holding the actual handle, obviously.

The "we saw through the mouths" explains why the heads felt too high. and that makes sense, I too was wondering how you could see, actually.
And with more pictures, it sounds less "unnatural" than it first did. Might have been the angle of the first picture.

Also, congratulations on your work. I did consider cosplaying OOTS but I never thought of papier maché heads. I would just have used make-up :p
And the costumes are very good too. Did you make them all from scratch, or did you find clothes that worked?

Vulion
2007-09-05, 07:51 AM
Nice, I love these guys or gals...or a combination of the two.:smallbiggrin:

Om
2007-09-05, 03:52 PM
Excellent costumes. Before I opened the thread I was skeptical as to how you could capture the stick figures properly (and you probably did as well as possible with those) but the MitD really blew me away. What an excellent costume!

Dinkyass
2007-09-05, 09:58 PM
Hmmm... I'd also like to add a little constructive criticism. I really think the Roy and Redcloak heads would look better without the necks...:smalltongue: Oh and, any chance of making the eyebrows three dimensional instead of painted? I'm not sure because I have no experience in this, but i think it would look better. :smallbiggrin: