PDA

View Full Version : All Quiet on the PM Front - Diplomacy PBPM Game

Moody the Wise
2007-09-03, 09:29 PM
All Quiet on the PM Front

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t190/moodythewise/All%20Quiet%20on%20the%20PM%20Front/Spring1901Universal.jpg

Anyone reading this who would like to be considered as a replacement if the occasion for one arises should let me know that.

We're playing on the Youngstown variant map with my custom Blind Rules variant. They are:

* Players will not receive an omniscient version of the map; only one master map will exist, and I will have exclusive access to it.
* Orders will not be posted on the thread.
* Instead, resolution of each player's orders will be sent to him or to her, along with only those orders which conflict with his or her own orders. For example, if Italy orders A Ven-Tri and Austria orders A Tri Holds, Italy would be aware of Austria's hold and Austria would be aware of Italy's attempted attack. (If people can't or don't want to keep their own maps, I could handle making individual maps for everyone and distributing them each season, although I would prefer that not be the case)
* Each player also gets a spy, the better to be aware of general goings-on in the world.
* Before the end of each Spring turn, each player can choose one other power on which to spy for the year. So if France wants to spy on Germany, he can choose to commit his spy to spying in Germany for the year of 1901. This means that with each order resolution in 1901, France also gets a copy of all German moves for the past season.
* Note that this does not mean that you get the orders for the power on which you are spying before they are processed. What it does do is tell you where all the power's units were and what they were doing, which is a very valuable tool.
* Players are encouraged to maintain active presses, since information on other powers will be scarce, although we all know that nothing said in a press release can be trusted absolutely.

We'll play one season a week. Spring 1901 orders (including spy deployment) will be due Wednesday, September 12. Summer 1901 retreats will be due Thursday, September 13th, Fall 1901 orders due Wednesday, September 19th, Winter retreats due Thursday, September 20th, and Winter 1901 builds due Friday, September 21st. And so on, and so on, and so on.

So, the schedule will generally be:

Wednesday - Move orders
Thursday - Retreat orders
Friday - Build orders

All orders will be due in by 10 PM EST (which is, in fact, GMT-5) on the appropriate days.

India - GrandDukeJerot
Italy - Ceridan
France - Lucid_Archon
England - Maldiem
Japan - J_Muller
Turkey - Viggo
Germany - Solgursky
China - Mdsoze
Austria - Lomil
Russia - Charity

-You have to let me know if you want to receive copies of the map as you know it each turn. I strongly recommend, for your sake (it's easier to run contingencies if you have the software to play with) and mine, that you download either jDip (jdip.sourceforge.net) or Realpolitik (realpolitik.sourceforge.net). However, if you really want me to, I will send you maps every week.
-For now I would like to be CCed on PM negotiations. I may change my mind when the game I'm playing in starts up, but at least until then, I'd like to hear what you guys are saying to each other.

GrandDukeJerot
2007-09-03, 09:49 PM
I'm in. The schedule sounds reasonable, but i am going to need to figure out how to change PST into EST.

Ceridan
2007-09-03, 09:50 PM
I am ready to buy, bribe, plead, steal, threaten, and kill to secure the prosperity of my nation.:smallbiggrin:

Moody the Wise
2007-09-03, 10:02 PM
I'm in. The schedule sounds reasonable, but i am going to need to figure out how to change PST into EST.

Pacific time is three hours behind me. In general, for the information of all, you can figure out the time zone differences by playing with the time zone setting under options on your forum account. My recommendation is that you figure out the time difference, then adjust all the deadlines to your appropriate local times and remember them that way.

And I checked, EST is indeed GMT-5, so if you know what your time zone is relative to GMT, this whole time conversion thing should be easy.

Lucid_Archon
2007-09-03, 10:38 PM
I am prepared to take my rightful seat as the head of a country. :smallbiggrin:

Maldiem
2007-09-03, 10:48 PM
Yes, I'm planning on actually playing. When do we find out what country we are?

GrandDukeJerot
2007-09-03, 10:51 PM
Okay. So, to clarify, your 10 PM deadline is a 1 AM deadline for me? Or 7 PM? I don't want to get in a few minuites late without knowing. But I'm not too worried. I do tend to be pretty quick with orders in this game.

J_Muller
2007-09-03, 10:53 PM
I'm still in and ready to go.

viggo
2007-09-03, 11:57 PM
I'm in. Just as long as I'm not russia this time.

solgursky
2007-09-04, 01:39 AM
I'm in, and looking forward to it.
Can't wait to find out what country I get! :smalltongue:

Moody the Wise
2007-09-04, 08:24 AM
Okay. So, to clarify, your 10 PM deadline is a 1 AM deadline for me? Or 7 PM? I don't want to get in a few minuites late without knowing. But I'm not too worried. I do tend to be pretty quick with orders in this game.

If your time zone is three hours behind mine, it will be 7pm for you when it is 10pm for me.

GrandDukeJerot
2007-09-04, 08:50 AM
Okay. Sorry about the confusion. I'm not always too good with time. Just to let you know, I will be gone thursday on a camping trip. It will be just from thursday morning to friday morning, so i'll be here up until tomorrow posting, and I will be back up early friday. Just mentioning this so you're not surprised when I don't put in an immediate response.

mdsoze
2007-09-04, 09:28 AM
I'm in, and I propose alliances with everyone! Your friendly carebear is here.

Lomil
2007-09-04, 03:20 PM
I'm in on this.:smallcool:

J_Muller
2007-09-04, 05:29 PM
I'm in. Just as long as I'm not russia this time.

As much as it didn't really turn out well for me last time, I actually wouldn't mind being France again.

UPDATE: For anyone who's interested in more Diplomacy, I'm starting up a game. It can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3145272).

GrandDukeJerot
2007-09-04, 07:42 PM
Normally, I would love to take on another diplomacy game, but with this game of diplomacy, my homemade diplomacy rip off i'm running, and the dragonlance campaign that i'm afriad I might have to drop out of, I am going to decline.

Edit: Actually, I decided to drop the Dragonlance so I could get into the second Diplomacy game. I just think that they're rarer, and I would benefit from playing more of it.

asqwasqw
2007-09-04, 11:45 PM
Ehh, sounds good!I'm in. Can you make me a copy of the map without the other characters?

Moody the Wise
2007-09-05, 02:47 PM
Alright, all 10 players have confirmed interest. Below is a map - the ONLY omniscient map I will ever post on this thread:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t190/moodythewise/All%20Quiet%20on%20the%20PM%20Front/Spring1901Universal.jpg

Here are your random country assignments:

India - GrandDukeJerot
Italy - Ceridan
France - Lucid_Archon
England - Maldiem
Japan - J_Muller
Turkey - Viggo
Germany - Solgursky
China - Mdsoze
Austria - Lomil
Russia - Asqwasqw

I'll edit the original post to reflect all this, but I want to make a new one as well so that everyone will get the subscribed thread notification. Everyone is subscribed to this thread, right?

A few notes before we begin:

-You have to let me know if you want to receive copies of the map as you know it each turn. I strongly recommend, for your sake (it's easier to run contingencies if you have the software to play with) and mine, that you download either jDip (jdip.sourceforge.net) or Realpolitik (realpolitik.sourceforge.net). However, if you really want me to, I will send you maps every week.
-For now I would like to be CCed on PM negotiations. I may change my mind when the game I'm playing in starts up, but at least until then, I'd like to hear what you guys are saying to each other.
-When I edit the original post in a few minutes, I'll make sure to copy in the blind variant rules for your reference.

Let's have a good, clean fight!

solgursky
2007-09-05, 05:44 PM
The new German Chancellor, Solomon Gurksy, is announced amid raucous applause and fanfare.
"German diplomats welcome foreign ambassadors with open arms. We seek a peaceful resolution to any future disputes."

(I got the jdip program. Still not 100% on the 'blind' rules, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. Are enemy unites in adjacent territories known, or only when we come into conflict?)

asqwasqw
2007-09-05, 06:02 PM
Can you send me the maps please? Oh, and does anybody want to switch with me (if that is allowed)? I don't really have the time to handle such a large country. Are orders due this wednesday?

J_Muller
2007-09-05, 06:03 PM
The Tokyo Dispatch
Emperor Jonogawa issued a release today stating that he would like to welcome any and all foreign diplomats and that Japan seeks only the maintenance of peace by reasonable dialogue with its neighbors.

In completely unrelated news, the Imperial Navy was recently put on full mobilization status, with all ships fully stocked with ammunition and fuel and ready to sail.

Moody the Wise
2007-09-05, 06:46 PM
The new German Chancellor, Solomon Gurksy, is announced amid raucous applause and fanfare.
"German diplomats welcome foreign ambassadors with open arms. We seek a peaceful resolution to any future disputes."

(I got the jdip program. Still not 100% on the 'blind' rules, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. Are enemy unites in adjacent territories known, or only when we come into conflict?)

The locations of enemy units are only known when they affect you. For example, if you have an army in Norway and I have an army in Sweden, but both units are issued hold orders, neither army knows about the other. However, if A Nwy is ordered to Swe, and Swe Holds, A Nwy knows there was an army holding in Sweden and A Swe knows that it was attacked by A Nwy.

Moody the Wise
2007-09-05, 06:47 PM
Can you send me the maps please? Oh, and does anybody want to switch with me (if that is allowed)? I don't really have the time to handle such a large country. Are orders due this wednesday?

Handling any sized country takes roughly the same amount of time; are you sure you can make the commitment? If you don't think you can, I'd rather have you say so now and enjoy watching the game while we still have time to get a replacement than to drop out several seasons in.

J_Muller
2007-09-05, 08:27 PM
I'd like to be sent the maps each turn as well.

GrandDukeJerot
2007-09-05, 08:46 PM
The Bombay Report

The Maharaja of Cochin has mobilized his forces, with full support of his people. In a public statement sent out to all foreign diplomats has been relayed here.

"I am sad for the deterioration of the state of Asia. No longer does it consist of powerful, native empires that were content to mind their own buisness, and tend to their own lands. In recent years, the west has realized the potential of our land, and plunders it ruthlessly. Now, it is time for the Indian empire to take a leaf out of the book of our freinds, the West, and grow our empire with expansion."

(I would like the maps as well. I have both programs, but I find them slightly unweildy.)

mdsoze
2007-09-05, 09:08 PM
I'd like to be sent maps as well. Thanks.

Lucid_Archon
2007-09-05, 09:47 PM
The Paris Alert

Disturbingly, the Maharaja of Cochin, India's leader, has sent overt threats to our peaceful land of France, promising bloodshed and terror. We as a people will not bow to such a blood thirsty tyrant. We fear that there will be no peace with India, and pray for swift end to this conflict.

From the desk of President Émile Loubet.

viggo
2007-09-06, 12:43 AM
Sultan Murat Akhun of the great Turkish Empire opens his doors to all that wish peace and prosperity for everyone. Bring not threats to his door, for he will respond in kind. Bring gifts to his door, for he will respond in kind. Bring not betrayal to his door, for he will respond in kind.

Lomil
2007-09-06, 06:21 AM
The Emperor (Arch-Duke?) of Austria-Hungary would like it to be known in the world community that Austria-Hungary wishes to remain a peaceful & cooperative empire, but will singlemindedly seek the complete destruction of any that betray her.

(and I'd like the maps, please)

asqwasqw
2007-09-06, 05:40 PM
Handling any sized country takes roughly the same amount of time; are you sure you can make the commitment? If you don't think you can, I'd rather have you say so now and enjoy watching the game while we still have time to get a replacement than to drop out several seasons in.

Sigh, I would so love to play, but I am DMing one game, playing another, and I am not sure I have time/energy for diplomacy (curse you school).

Since others have expressed interest, ask if any one of them wants to take over...

Signing out: asqwasqw
(If you play this varient again during the summer, PM me dang it! :smalltongue: )

J_Muller
2007-09-06, 05:43 PM
((That was rather quick.

Charity's expressed interest in being a second. Perhaps he could come in to take on the task of ruling Russia?))

Charity
2007-09-07, 02:21 AM
I would love to take asqwasqw's spot.

Tzar Zargabore is waiting in the wings for his call to arms.

Moody the Wise
2007-09-07, 06:44 AM
I would love to take asqwasqw's spot.

Tzar Zargabore is waiting in the wings for his call to arms.

It's official then, Charity is taking over for asqwasqw. I'll change the original post to reflect this.

Charity
2007-09-07, 08:25 AM
His Imperial magesty Tzar Zargabore would like to welcome all foreign devils diplomats to his inaugeration celibration.

Charity
2007-09-07, 08:43 AM
Just a quicky Moody, do we get to see adjacent armies/navies?
Otherwise this will be impossible to play when fighting on two fronts.

mdsoze
2007-09-07, 10:23 AM
He said no to that. I agree it makes fighting extremely difficult. Adjacent territory knowledge would make things a lot nicer.

Moody the Wise
2007-09-07, 11:01 AM
He said no to that. I agree it makes fighting extremely difficult. Adjacent territory knowledge would make things a lot nicer.

Well, he haven't started yet, so if you all (that is, if at least four more people post agreeing with this sentiment) want to make the change, we can.

Yea or nay for always being aware of units adjacent to your own units?

Ceridan
2007-09-07, 11:37 AM
My vote is yes. It would better reflect the reconnaissance assets attached to each army and navy.

mdsoze
2007-09-07, 12:23 PM
I definitely vote Yay, don't know if I have to vote as I expressed that opinion above, but figured I'd submit for counting purposes.

Further: I would also vote Yay to a vote to see units directly adjacent to your SCs, even if you don't have units there.

Maldiem
2007-09-07, 02:31 PM
I vote Nay. You may not be certain where the other fellow's units are, but unless you've NEVER spied on them, you should be able to make a decent guess. It forces people to think about strategic decisions more. Also, if you've got an ally, there's nothing stopping your from sharing spy reports. Plus, sharing spy reports adds another layer of intrigue, since you may not be entirely able to trust them.

solgursky
2007-09-07, 05:59 PM
I'll abstain on that vote. Either way has it's advantages and disadvantages, and 10 votes could create a tie.

J_Muller
2007-09-07, 07:24 PM
I vote Yea there. Even without spies, it's a bit odd that the presence of a large army group in a neighboring area would go unnoticed.

GrandDukeJerot
2007-09-08, 07:29 PM
I vote yea. It's limiting enough with the spy power, so some freedoms should be allowed. It would be really annoying to be attacked out of nowhere.

J_Muller
2007-09-09, 10:00 PM
((A thought occurs--people will have to be a lot more restrained with their news broadcasts lest they leak too much information. It's also going to be a bit odd being in Asia and not knowing what's happening in Europe save for what our spies can tell us.))

GrandDukeJerot
2007-09-09, 10:42 PM
Well, I am not too sure about that, J Muller. The news is what the gov't allows leaked out as public information. It is what the player is willing to tell the outside world about their actions. In a game playing blind, it really depends on the person to control their newscasts. Some might just play it safe, and completely supress the local media. Others may be candid about their campaigns, not worrying about who knows their movements. Some may even use this blindness to lie about their moves in news reports, catching their prey completely by surprise. The news reports just have gained a new dimension from playing blind.

Moody the Wise
2007-09-09, 10:48 PM
Well, I am not too sure about that, J Muller. The news is what the gov't allows leaked out as public information. It is what the player is willing to tell the outside world about their actions. In a game playing blind, it really depends on the person to control their newscasts. Some might just play it safe, and completely supress the local media. Others may be candid about their campaigns, not worrying about who knows their movements. Some may even use this blindness to lie about their moves in news reports, catching their prey completely by surprise. The news reports just have gained a new dimension from playing blind.

Exactly. And isn't it beautiful? I'm looking forward to the bullsh - I mean the absolutely true - news stories you guys write.

Charity
2007-09-10, 05:28 AM
Well
I would rather be able to see a bit more than just one guys moves so I vote to see adjacent units.

Oh Moody, when are we due to start?

Oh and everyone else, sorry my PM box filled up over the weekend, while I was (horror of horrors) gardening, I have cleared a bit of space so it should be safe to resend anything you got a bounce message on.

Moody the Wise
2007-09-10, 07:31 AM
Well
I would rather be able to see a bit more than just one guys moves so I vote to see adjacent units.

Oh Moody, when are we due to start?

Oh and everyone else, sorry my PM box filled up over the weekend, while I was (horror of horrors) gardening, I have cleared a bit of space so it should be safe to resend anything you got a bounce message on.

We start Wednesday, as is made clear in the original post.

Moody the Wise
2007-09-10, 11:25 AM
A player asked me the following question, and I think the answer merits being given to all of the players:

"How nitpicky are you going to be on order syntax and misordering?"

"Not very. I'm a big fan of the clause in the rules that states that a poorly written order that can nonetheless have only one meaning must be followed. I'm meticulous about writing my own orders, but I'm relatively lenient about other people's orders. That said, the more accurate the better, obviously.

For convoys and support, each order should be written. If an order A Ser S A Gre-Bul is written but A Gre-Bul is not, I will not be able to infer A Gre-Bul; if no order is given for A Gre (even if another order mentions A Gre moving) then a hold order is assigned to A Gre. Likewise, F Nth C A Edi-Nwy will not move A Edi unless A Edi has the order A Edi-Nwy written for it."

And now I'm actually going to add a few things that I didn't say in my reply to this player (and hope he reads this post).

Things I will be lenient on, but will continually correct when sending back your season's report:

Once I had a player who used N instead of F, because he thought of sea units as Navies, not Fleets. This bugged me, but it was clear what he meant, so I let it slide.
cApItAlIzAtIoN. It will annoy me to no end if you take it to the extreme to which I just took it, but I won't count an order incorrect on account of capitalization; all caps or all lowercase is fine.
Not issuing hold orders. If you want to issue them explicitly (which is always a good idea, I think, so that you can count the number of orders you've written and compare it to the number of units you have and make sure you aren't forgetting anything) you could do it in a number of ways. "F Mao H" is the shortest way and is perfectly acceptable to me. "F Mao Hold" and "F Mao Holds" are fine as well. Anything other than that and you may have lost me.

Using something like -> to designate an attack rather than the shorter and more conventional -. A Gre-Bul could be written as A Gre->Bul, if you really feel a burning desire to do so. As long as you are consistent, it shouldn't be an issue.
Units that are issued illegal orders are issued hold orders when adjudicating. So if you order A Swe-Mun, A Swe will attempt to hold instead.

asqwasqw
2007-09-10, 06:02 PM
Hey moody, can you PM me a copy of the main map that you use every turn, if it isn't too much trouble (and the spy orders)? It would be nice to see what everybody moves.

Moody the Wise
2007-09-10, 07:04 PM
Hey moody, can you PM me a copy of the main map that you use every turn, if it isn't too much trouble (and the spy orders)? It would be nice to see what everybody moves.

My first reaction was "haha, no," then I remembered that you graciously agreed to let someone take your spot.

Even though you aren't playing in the game, I'm not entirely sure it is appropriate to leak that information to anyone. Since I believe that the game really belongs to the players and not to me, I'll leave it up to them to decide.

Would anyone mind if I sent asqwasqw a copy of the map each turn so that he could follow along with the game from an omniscient perspective?

If just one person has reservations about this, I won't do it. If you're not comfortable posting that opinion here, you can PM me about it.

asqwasqw
2007-09-10, 07:09 PM
Oh yeah, I could cheat and pass the map on to other players (not that I would do that... Unless they bribe me with cake!) Forgot about that. Hmmm, scratch the idea then. Just make sure to post the results at the end of the game, so everybody can enjoy it. I can wait. (his army was there?!?!)

thewamp
2007-09-10, 07:47 PM
Yeah, I was going to offer to help send maps to people who want individual maps made for them, just so I could follow along in the game, because I thought it would be entertaining.

Sounds like that's a negative too, but seriously, this game does seem cool to watch. Especially with the presses.

But, if you want to take me up on that offer, I'd love to help.

Oh, and just to put an idea on the books for the future, it would be cool if you added to the secrecy and spying, an omniscient map published with a 1-2 year delay. That way people could watch and players could find out the fate of those across the world, with a big delay.

Edit: Oh yeah and hi, I'm back from Europe, finally.

mdsoze
2007-09-10, 10:25 PM
I recommend after the game is finished, posting turn by turn maps and orders. For those who like suspense, you could even do 1 turn a day or something. ;)

thewamp
2007-09-10, 10:41 PM
I recommend after the game is finished, posting turn by turn maps and orders. For those who like suspense, you could even do 1 turn a day or something. ;)

I meant in future games
The 1 turn a day would be cool, but would be a hassle for moody, I think.

Moody the Wise
2007-09-11, 12:23 AM
I meant in future games
The 1 turn a day would be cool, but would be a hassle for moody, I think.

I'm sure I'll come up with some nifty way of declassifying these documents when this is all over.

Charity
2007-09-11, 10:55 AM
Tzar Zargabore would like to invite all foriegn dignitories to his pre-war assassination party.

Ceridan
2007-09-11, 01:07 PM
Dear Tzar Italy will be unable to attend your gala, please accept this fine bomb Er... fruit basket instead.

Charity
2007-09-12, 06:03 AM
The great Tzar would like to thank the Italian government for their generous gift. It has been a great aid to the war effort, although it seems to have been mislabeled as foodstuff, which lead to an amusing incident with the Tzars peasent food testers. The good Tzar sends his thanks from his kitchen staff in the shape of some er... meat pies.

Moody the Wise
2007-09-12, 06:58 AM
Orders are due tonight! 10 PM EST (GMT-5)!

If I don't get them all by tonight, I'll extend le deadline until tomorrow morning since I failed to give 24 hour notice and it has been a week since any formal notification of this turn has been given. But I'd like all orders in tonight, obviously.

Thanks.

Ceridan
2007-09-12, 02:22 PM
Ah, meat pies from Russia? Well I do not know, feed them to the dogs. Make sure to send a thank you card.

Moody the Wise
2007-09-13, 09:53 AM
Order reports will be sent out to everyone by the end of the night. If you haven't yet posted here saying you want a map, you won't get one unless you post here before I send you your report saying you want one. Also, keep in mind that they're kind of a hassle, and if you don't really need one, don't ask for one just because. Again, I highly recommend that everyone download realpolitik (realpolitik.sourceforge.net) or jDip (jdip.sourceforge.net) and keep their own maps.

Charity
2007-09-13, 10:56 AM
I'd like a map please Moody

Sorry I post alot from work and I cannot go downloading stuff onto my works PC.

solgursky
2007-09-13, 02:50 PM
I'm afraid I need one too. I tried both JDip and Realpolitik and it just doesn't seem possible to follow along without having the 'master map'.
I've been really trying with JDip a lot, but the program is really difficult to use, doesn't show orders when I put them in, doesn't show resolution of orders every turn, I'm just no good at figuring it out, sorry.

Moody the Wise
2007-09-13, 05:07 PM
I'm afraid I need one too. I tried both JDip and Realpolitik and it just doesn't seem possible to follow along without having the 'master map'.
I've been really trying with JDip a lot, but the program is really difficult to use, doesn't show orders when I put them in, doesn't show resolution of orders every turn, I'm just no good at figuring it out, sorry.

In both programs it is possible to place and remove units using edit functions. This is the key to making a map showing limited information, and it is what I will be doing for all of the individual maps I have to make.

solgursky
2007-09-13, 07:16 PM
Ahhh, the edit function of Realpolitik is very dummy-proof, I love it. No map required for me.

Moody the Wise
2007-09-13, 10:06 PM
Ahhh, the edit function of Realpolitik is very dummy-proof, I love it. No map required for me.

Sweet! And hey, the fewer people needing maps, the faster everyone gets their season reports! By the way, I'm working on them as we speak and they'll be out within the hour ... which will technically be tonight, as promised. =)

Moody the Wise
2007-09-13, 11:16 PM
Alright, phew! All the order reports for this season have been sent out. I sent them as replies to your order PMs to save myself a little bit of time, so the title of it is re: whatever you titled your orders.

As for maps, I think I was pretty descriptive with my reports. Also, things aren't that complicated yet. As such, I don't feel bad about taking the time to ask everyone who wants a map sent to them to either PM me their email address or post it here. I think that email is the best way to deliver these maps. If this will be an issue for you, maybe I can work something else out if you ask me.

The maps are all actually created, for the record, I'm just waiting on the best way to distribute them.

J_Muller
2007-09-13, 11:49 PM
((Are you sure you've sent them? I have yet to receive anything.))

mdsoze
2007-09-14, 09:56 AM
I got mine. Which is nice, cause I can see the knives pointed at me.

GrandDukeJerot
2007-09-14, 08:47 PM
As of now, I do not have the map.

Moody the Wise
2007-09-15, 11:12 PM
As of now, I do not have the map.

Right, you don't have the map. You need to give me your email address so that I can send you the map, because I can't attach files to PMs on the forum.

You did get the results of your orders though, right?

mdsoze
2007-09-16, 10:21 AM
Ummm, I PM'd you an e-mail address days ago. Still no map.

Matt

Mael
2007-09-16, 11:13 AM
You could always just print out a map and pencil in the units yourself.
Printable maps are at http://www.diplom.org/Online/maps/youngstown.gif or http://www.diplom.org/Online/maps/bigyoung.gif.

Moody the Wise
2007-09-17, 11:15 PM
You could always just print out a map and pencil in the units yourself.
Printable maps are at http://www.diplom.org/Online/maps/youngstown.gif or http://www.diplom.org/Online/maps/bigyoung.gif.

That sounds like a fantastic idea! If anyone wants to stop getting maps, let me know ...

Moody the Wise
2007-09-18, 02:18 PM
30 or so hour warning! Fall 1901 orders are due tomorrow night by 10PM EST (GMT-5). I may not be around at 10PM tonight, so I'm giving the warning now.

Also, you certainly don't have to do it, but I'd love to see a little more press writing going on.

solgursky
2007-09-18, 07:07 PM
NEW SPEECH FROM KAISER GURSKY

All hail the words of our great, infallible, omnipotent, divine, Ruler; Kaiser Gursky:

"Germans! The time has come to expand our great nation! The Danes have sworn fealty and the Dutch are on the horizon. With the expansion of our country, we have also gained great responsibilities. Our friends to the north, the Norwegians and the Swedes, require our support. Greedy England has spread her talons towards these peace-loving nations, and only under the German flag will they truly be safe from those imperialist monsters."

Moody the Wise
2007-09-19, 09:17 PM
Well, it's 20-something minutes after the Fall 1901 deadline, and I don't have all the orders. However, you're all in luck. I have a paper due Friday on a book I haven't read yet, so I won't really have the time to adjudicate until some point on Friday. I'll extend the deadline until whenever that happens to be on Friday.

That of course will mean that retreats and builds will have to be pushed back. Retreats will be due Saturday night and builds Sunday night. If anyone has a problem with the schedule running into the weekend, let me know and we can just push the whole thing back a week (that is, I resolve Fall 1901 next Wednesday and we proceed as normally scheduled).

J_Muller
2007-09-19, 09:52 PM
I have a paper due Friday on a book I haven't read yet, so I won't really have the time to adjudicate until some point on Friday.

((The humor and good fortune this means to me is tempered by the knowledge that when I go to college, that's going to be me in that situation. Possibly multiple times.))

mdsoze
2007-09-19, 09:54 PM
I'm going to be travelling over the weekend, so I'd prefer to wait.

Moody the Wise
2007-09-19, 10:10 PM
I'm going to be travelling over the weekend, so I'd prefer to wait.

Alright, we'll just wait then. Fall 1901 orders, if you haven't submitted them, are due NEXT Wednesday, September 26th (I think that's the date). If you want to renegotiate and change some of your moves, you may submit new moves up until that time.

Moody the Wise
2007-09-27, 12:14 AM
Alright, all orders are in. Sorry about it being so late, but it's going to be a little bit later still, since it's ... well, so late. I'll do the turn and send out reports in the morning. Retreats, if necessary, will be due Thursday night and builds due Friday. Since it is unlikely that retreats will happen and also unlikely that your build orders will be contingent too much on them if they do happen, you can feel free to submit conditional build orders if you're going to be busy during the weekend (mdsoze). Maybe the next time we have to skip a week, I'll move the regular order due day back to Tuesday to avoid future weekend conflicts; but we'll cross that road when we come to it. Er, that bridge.

Moody the Wise
2007-09-27, 11:56 AM
Alright, all order reports (I think) have been sent out as of now. I goofed a little bit, though. For all of you who did not submit spy orders, I don't know who you were spying on because I deleted all the old messages. Therefore, if you didn't get spy information this turn, let me know who you were spying on and I'll get that to you along with the Winter builds.

Also, I think I'm going to change it so that you can assign your spy for each Fall, Spring, and Winter Season - that is, each time I adjudicate orders - to prevent such mishaps in the future. For Winter builds, however, your spy will only tell you what the power built, not where all its units are.

Also, I haven't forgotten about maps, I just have class. I'll get them out at some point.

Also, there are no retreats. So, build orders are due by Friday night, but the earlier the merrier.

Maldiem
2007-09-27, 01:53 PM
So... since we can see adjacent units, will the units we build see adjacent units? Also, sending winter spy request now...

Moody the Wise
2007-09-27, 04:33 PM
So... since we can see adjacent units, will the units we build see adjacent units? Also, sending winter spy request now...

Uhh ... sure, that sounds fine. (I'm so not making this up as I go).

Moody the Wise
2007-09-27, 04:47 PM
Come to think of it, maps will be sent out after build orders have been processed, so that I don't have to send out two sets of maps within a few days. I'll send them out to everyone who has previously requested one. If you don't get a map (and you want one) by Saturday night, let me know, because I probably forgot or never saw your expressed interest in one or something.

Ceridan
2007-09-27, 11:01 PM
The Roman Herald, Special Edition, October 3rd 1901

A misunderstanding between sailors of the Italian 2nd fleet on shore leave in Yemen and a Turkish army also on furlough in the kingdom turned ugly today as several fist fights resulted. One Sailor was critically injured as Turkish troops threw him out a plate glass window. No word yet from the ministry of foreign affairs as too, if reparations will be sought.

Moody the Wise
2007-09-28, 11:59 PM
Ugh. Risk Tournament. Late. Will send out Winter season reports and maps tomorrow morning.

Sorry for being a sketchy GM, but at least I get things done at some point. I'm better than nothing. =)

Moody the Wise
2007-09-29, 12:16 PM
So it turns out that the creation of maps is actually a big hassle. So I'll present two options, and I'd like a vote from everyone.

1) Everyone who had been getting a map prints off this blank map and keeps track in pencil on their own, or gets a program, or something. I think that this really wouldn't be that hard, because - correct me if I'm wrong - I think my order reports are pretty thorough in telling you what you need to know.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t190/moodythewise/BlankYoungstown.jpg

2. Screw the blindness and I just start posting the universal maps.

Please vote.

viggo
2007-09-29, 01:22 PM
option 1

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/jdip/jdip-1.7.0-preview-1-setup-windows.exe?download

here's a link to download jdip for windows. i don't know if it's vista compatible, but having a brain isn't vista compatible, which means we should all be fine.

Ceridan
2007-09-29, 08:24 PM
I am enjoying the double blind feel of the game. Option 1.

Moody the Wise
2007-09-29, 10:16 PM
I guess I should clarify this vote a little bit: in order to continue with the blind rules, I need everyone who was getting a map to agree to option 1. If they don't, or if there are more than five votes for option 2, we'll have to go with option two.

That said, if people are enjoying the blind game, I strongly encourage option 1, and I condone the use of peer pressure.

J_Muller
2007-09-30, 02:23 AM
I'm on the fence here. Either option would be good as far as I'm concerned.

mdsoze
2007-09-30, 08:27 AM
Hrmmm... I'm enjoying the blind game. I'll get the program.

Option 1. :)

Moody the Wise
2007-10-01, 06:08 AM
Game is on a brief hiatus until I get a replacement for Austria, who has asked to be allowed to leave. This might happen today, and then the deadline for orders might still be this Wednesday, but in all likelihood the deadline will be pushed back a week to allow the new player to diplome. Sorry to do that two weeks in a row, but I think it's better than having lots of NMRs.

Also, if anyone else thinks he or she should probably bow out, now would be the least disruptive time to do it.

Also also, continue voting if you haven't yet and want a say.

Maldiem
2007-10-01, 12:02 PM
Option 1, definitely.

Moody the Wise
2007-10-01, 07:08 PM
Elektro has agreed to step in as Austria. In the interest of fairness, to him and to everyone who might have something to say to Austria, I'll extend the deadline by a week to NEXT WEDNESDAY, October 10th.

Elektro
2007-10-01, 08:42 PM
Important Bulletin!

The Emperor of Austria-Hungry, Franz Joseph I has died at the Hofburg. I am Major General von Hotzendorf, and have been given command of the provisional government.

To my subjects, no longer will you feel the harsh grip of the Dual Monarchy on your lands. Our nation will now respect the wishes of all of its citizens, regardless of ethnicity or station. We will soon be inviting local representatives to a new Congress of Vienna, and this one will allow all Austro-Hungarians to once again feel pride in our great nation.

To my friends and colleagues abroad, we look forward to working with you to ensure the peace and stability of Europe. Envoys will be arriving at our embassies in your respective capitals soon to discuss policies with you.

Moody the Wise
2007-10-05, 08:53 AM
I am going to be home on break until late Tuesday night. I am not going to check the forums between now and then. I will adjudicate the turn next Wednesday, as planned, but don't freak out if you don't hear from me for a while. Take advantage of the time to get to know your neighbors, or maybe your neighbors' neighbors ... they can be fruitful people to talk to indeed.

Moody the Wise
2007-10-09, 08:47 PM
Alright, I'm back, and I hope you all have taken the opportunity to connive. If you have yet to submit orders, or want to submit new ones, the deadline for this season is approximately 24 HOURS FROM NOW - 10PM EST Wednesday.

Ceridan
2007-10-10, 01:34 AM
The Roman Herald, Special Edition, April 5th 1902

We have received scattered reports that elements of a Turkish artillery unit have opened fire on the Italian Cruiser Francesca docked for refueling in neutral Yemen. Yemen fearing Turkish aggression had asked for a peace keeping force from Italy to take up station off of the coast. We have no word yet on casualties. The 2nd fleet has been placed on full alert and we have word that the Prime Minister himself will be making an address.

viggo
2007-10-10, 08:20 PM
Abu Constantinople, 1901

Reports of Turkish aggression against Italian naval units have been thrown around the world recently. General Murat P. issued this statement:

"It is absurd for the Italians to attempt to occupy Yemen. No European belongs in the Middle East. Surely they'll have more fun spreading chaos under the guise of 'democracy' in Ethiopia, and we told them this. In the best interests of our Arabian cousins, we will bring Yemen into the Empire to prevent their fall into decadence and corruption."

Moody the Wise
2007-10-11, 10:04 AM
How did three people fail to submit orders over the course of two weeks? Oh well, I'm processing the turn anyway, because it's been long enough. If any of the NMRers want to stay in the game, they should send me a PM before Saturday night or replacements will be found.

The orders have been resolved, and results will be sent out to everyone after I eat lunch.

Moody the Wise
2007-10-15, 11:35 AM
Well, since they are going to be replaced, I suppose I have to tell you who NMRed. One person responded and was just confused about the deadline and is still in. GrandDukeJerot responded and apologized profusely but wants out. Lucid_Archon did not respond. So, I'll be looking for replacements for India and France. Hopefully, I'll find them quickly and we can stay on schedule for this week. I'll keep you all updated as events unfold.

thewamp
2007-10-15, 04:26 PM
I wouldn't mind playing France. I'm playing India in the other game, so I'd prefer not to play India again.

Moody the Wise
2007-10-15, 08:38 PM
Thewamp has taken over for France and Mael has taken over for India. Fall 1902 orders will be due THIS Wednesday at 10 PM EST, about 48 hours from now.

Mael
2007-10-16, 07:14 PM
Revolution in India

Dramatic recent events in Indai have culminated today in the final removal of the British Raj, and the declaration of India as a sovereign state.
In a press release a spokesman for the president said that they do not hold any grudge against their former colonial rulers, and will be seeking to establish foreign relations with all their neighbours to ensure a lasting peace in the region.

Moody the Wise
2007-10-16, 08:07 PM
24 Hour Warning for Fall 1902 turn!

thewamp
2007-10-16, 10:43 PM
Re-Election in France
In a sweeping victory, President Wamp came out on top of the recent French elections, displacing the incumbent.

Moody the Wise
2007-10-17, 10:54 PM
All the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies.

I'm processing the turn and sending out reports RIGHT NOW, but for some reason unbeknown to me, probably involving a bizarre mutation of the space-time continuum, nobody is going to receive these messages until tomorrow morning. Yes. This is DEFINITELY WHAT IS HAPPENING.

That is all.

Moody the Wise
2007-10-18, 11:30 AM
I'm sending out reports right now.

But I'm taking this break to make a very important announcement.

Please title the message in which you send your orders thusly:

AQPMF: Season Year, Power.

The order isn't so much important, but it is important that you have all four of those elements in the title. It makes orders SO much easier to pick out of my inbox.

Also, remember to assign your spy along with your season's orders. To make a point, I will not give out any spy information for this upcoming season - Winter 1902 - unless it is requested in the builds message. It may not seem like a big deal, but it just makes my life that much easier if I can do everything at one sitting.

Moody the Wise
2007-10-18, 12:13 PM
I think everyone by now should have received Fall 1902 reports. You may have noticed a few changes.

I wrote in the section where I quoted your orders so that I didn't have to write things over again (or even copy and paste).

I went with a simpler system for telling you what happened. "Good" means the order succeeded. In the case of support or convoy orders, this does not necessarily mean the unit being supported or convoyed succeeded. "Bounced" means there was someone else trying to take that territory and the strengths of your units were equal. "Failed" means you were trying to move into an occupied territory and you failed to dislodge the unit. "Support cut from ___" means your support order failed because you were attacked. I think those are all the terms I used. Note that I no longer tell you everything about why your attacks did or did not succeed.

In spy reports, I simply gave you the location of that power's units. Mostly, this is because it was a pain to copy and paste all those orders. If you guys are all fine with that, I'd love to make that the norm, but if not I could see about going back to more detailed spy reports.

So, what do you guys think of the new lazy system? Keep in mind that it still takes me about an hour to churn all these things out.

Note: Retreats will be due by 1300 EST TOMORROW. That is 24 hours from the sending of season reports. I'm not sure that I specifically mentioned all the retreats that are due, but if I said one of your units was dislodged, you need to submit a retreat order.

Maldiem
2007-10-18, 12:45 PM
The lazy order reports are fine in my opinion, but I'd prefer to keep the spy reports the way they were.

thewamp
2007-10-18, 01:22 PM
I'd at least like to know where the supply centers are, but the full spy reports would be nice.

Lazy order reports are better

Ceridan
2007-10-18, 09:45 PM
The Roman Herald
From the Desk of Prime Minister Garabaldi,

Italy can no longer stand idle while the Ottoman Empire pursues a policy of flagrant hostility toward peaceful European Nations. As of today, October 18 1902 a state of war exists between Italy and Turkey. God willing we will drive back the Muslim hordes and safeguard Europe from further acts of unwarranted aggression. I call on all free nations to join in this fight and draw a line in the sand. This far and no further.

Elektro
2007-10-18, 10:26 PM
Vienner Tagenblatt
15 Dezember, 1902

Austria-Hungary and Italy Join to Form the Holy Alliance
The Austro-Hungarian Foreign Ministry has announced the formation of the Holy Aliiance with the Kingdom of Italy. The two nations will join to protect each other's territorial sovereignty against all enemies. Major General von Hotzendorf remarked, "The incursions of the heathen Turks into Christian europe will not be tolerated. I call on all good Christians to join forces to repel these barbarians from our lands!"

Austria-Hungary Confederation Forms
As promised after assuming office, Major General von Hotzendorf has completed the necessary reforms to ensure the strength of Austria-Hungary. The Dual Monarchy has been replaced with a representative confederation of local military governments. The new Constitution also guarantees various freedoms (within limits) to its citizens, including a suffrage based on completion of federal service and freedoms similar to those found in the American Bill of Rights. The provisional head of government Major General von Hotzendorf has been promoted to Feldmarshal and will assume command over the armed forces. It is certain that these measures will reduce internal strife and bestow a sense of national pride among all Austro-Hungarians.

Moody the Wise
2007-10-19, 11:31 AM
Retreats have happened. I'll send out that limited information to the appropriate persons along with builds. I have several sets of them already, but am still missing a few. Of course, that is fine, because they aren't due until 24 Hours FROM NOW - 1300 EST SATURDAY.

viggo
2007-10-20, 06:22 AM
Sultan Grips Balls, Raises Middle Finger to Austria

Man I didn't do anything to y'all *****s. Y'all *****s know me, and we just be chillin in the hood eating Turkish delights.

And it's not like y'all ain't been beefin' with Greece for centuries. All -we- did was you motherless bums a favor by runnin' up in that crib ships bustin'. They ain't causin' you no problems 'cause they all -dead- playboy.

Go to hell if you're getting God in on this. In the words of my yet-to-be-born brother in Islam, Tupac Shakur, "If you believe in God, believe in Death Row East."

That's right, *****s. Eat me.

J_Muller
2007-10-20, 03:13 PM
Japanese Imperial Guard deployed to Korea
The newly formed Imperial Guard has been deployed to the Korean Peninsula, with the stated purpose of defending Japan's Korean brothers from foreign incursions. The Imperial Guard, a land-based force composed of the best soldiers Japan has to offer, has been described as "the ultimate fighting force" by representatives of the Chrysanthemum Throne. "The Imperial Guard", said Chief of the Army General Staff Ōyama Iwao, "is composed of the best fighting men of all Japan, given the best training and modern equipment possible. Man for man, it is a fighting force superior to anything any foreign nation has to offer."

Moody the Wise
2007-10-21, 02:58 PM
Wow, all really was quiet on the PM front this weekend, eh? Sorry about that, I totally forgot about builds until someone reminded me today. On that note, don't feel like you're being a nuisance by PMing me about things I seem to have forgotten to do. I try to do everything within 24 hours of when I say I will, so if it's been longer than that and you're worrying, I probably did forget, so it won't hurt to send me a PM.

Anyway, sending out builds now.

Moody the Wise
2007-10-21, 03:18 PM
Major World Powers Launch Satellites in Spring 1903!

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t190/moodythewise/Spring1903.jpg

I kind of hate to do this, but my ambitious variant is becoming a bit of a hassle. It was fun while it lasted (I hope) but from here on out the map will be available for all to see each season.

So, there it is, the Spring 1903 map complete with builds (those that were submitted, anyway). Spring 1903 orders will be due Wednesday night at 10 PM EST, as usual.

Moody the Wise
2007-10-21, 04:52 PM
Russia just sent me a PM saying more or less that he has been very busy and thought he had submitted builds, and asking if I would take them late. I don't feel as though that is really my decision to make, so: would anyone be opposed to allowing Russia to build late, now that the map has already been shown? I would say let him do it, but it's your game really, not mine - I just run it. If I don't get any negatories by Monday night, I'll change the map to account for his builds. I'll extend this to include Turkey and Japan as well, since they also missed their builds.

Elektro
2007-10-21, 07:24 PM
I'm fine with extending the build deadline to Monday night, even if two of those countries are going to use them against me :smallbiggrin: I'd rather win fair and square than because they forgot their build orders.

Mael
2007-10-21, 07:37 PM
I agree with extending the build deadline, but you might want to take the map down until you have the builds in.

Moody the Wise
2007-10-21, 11:09 PM
I agree with extending the build deadline, but you might want to take the map down until you have the builds in.

Nah, people have already seen it anyway. And Elektro, I feel the exact same way.

J_Muller
2007-10-21, 11:19 PM
Er... as a completely neutral party, naturally, I support the extension of the build deadline.

Ceridan
2007-10-22, 02:59 AM
Cool, extend the deadline.

Turkey, God was brought in as a role playing aspect. I am enjoying doing this game in character.

So you and your home boys can kick it at your crib until Italy and Austria kick in your door and and beat your punk ass like you owe us money. :smallwink:

Charity
2007-10-22, 07:46 AM
Thanks guys, very fair of you all.

I did send, but my PM box was full, and I didn't notice (for some stupid reason, you can't send when your box is full)...

viggo
2007-10-22, 03:50 PM
uh yeah i decided to roleplay my character as a hardcore thug gangster running turkey. it's moderately entertaining.

thanks for the extention

Moody the Wise
2007-10-23, 08:23 PM
Here is the NEW Spring 1903 map with late builds added.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t190/moodythewise/Spring1903NEW.jpg

Also, 24 and a half hour warning for Spring 1903 orders, which are due by 10 PM EST tomorrow, Wednesday, October 24th.

Moody the Wise
2007-10-24, 10:02 PM
All eight sets of orders that I have are sitting in jDip awaiting execution. I am going to give viggo and thewamp until tomorrow morning to submit orders, since I often don't adjudicate until then anyway and it could be confused for the official deadline. But mostly I just think NMRs really hurt games.

But I promise that with or without French and Ottoman input, Spring 1903 will be happening tomorrow morning.

Moody the Wise
2007-10-25, 10:18 AM
Spring 1903 Results:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t190/moodythewise/1903Springretreats.jpg

Austria:
A bul -> gre; good
A ser supports A bul -> gre; good
F alb supports A bul -> gre; good
A bud -> klu; failed because A Klu-Gal failed
A klu -> gal; equally supported exchange with Russia A Gal-Klu; failed
A vie supports A klu-> gal; good

China:
A Man S A Kor-Vla; good
A Pek-Kan; good
A Inn-Sin; good
A Omo S A Inn-Sin; good
A Tib S A Inn-Sin; good
F Vtn H; good

England:
F nrg -> nth; good
F nth -> hel; good
F mao -> bre; failed
F mal -> joh; good
A hol -> kie; failed
F eng -> pic; bounced with Bel-Pic
F bor -> sch; good
F bel -> pic; bounced with Eng-Pic

France:
F sai - ann; good
F cam - tha; good
F gos S F cam - tha; good
A por - spa; bounced with mar-spa
A mar - spa; bounced with por-spa
F bre H; good
A par S F bre; good

Germany:
A Den-Swe; failed 2:2
F Bal S A Den-Swe; good
F Ska-Den; failed because A Den-Swe failed
A Mun-Kie; good
A Ruh S A Mun-Kie; good

India:Del - Cal; bounced with Mad-Cal
Mad - Cal; bounced with Del-Cal
Brm H; good
Jav H; good
Eio H; good

Italy:
A pie H; good
A ven H; good
F rom-tys; good
F nap-apu; good
F egy-eas; good
F ion-aeg; failed
F eth-dan; good

Japan:
A kor-vla; good
F soj S A kor-vla; good
F npo-kar; good
F osa-fuj; good
F phi holds; good

Russia:
A stp - fin; good
F nwy s F swe hold; good
F swe s F nwy hold; support cut
A war - sil; good
A gal - klu; equally supported exchange (failed)
A rum s A gal - klu; good
F sev s A rum hold; good
A tur s a sin hold; good
No order assigned to unit at Vla; dislodged from Kor
No order assigned to unit at Sin; dislodged from Inn

Turkey:
NMR; all units hold
Greece dislodged from Bulgaria; cannot retreat; disbanded

Retreating units are:
Russian F Vla
Russian A Sin

Charity, get those retreats to me by 1200 EST tomorrow - Friday, October 26th.

Everyone else: I'll see you next Wednesday when Fall 1903 orders will be due as usual.

viggo
2007-10-25, 03:40 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

damn it

Moody the Wise
2007-10-25, 07:00 PM
Fall 1903 Map with last season's retreats:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t190/moodythewise/Fall1903.jpg

Moody the Wise
2007-10-31, 10:31 PM
Same deal as last season, unfortunately, except this time with just one NMR. I'll give that person until tomorrow morning to submit, then I post with or without.

Retreats will be due Friday by 1200 EST and Builds will be due Sunday by 1200 EST. This is a change from the previous schedule where I typically gave 24 hours between map posting, retreats, and builds - there are now 48 hours between retreats and builds, since I think we can afford to space things out a little bit, especially given the weekend. But keep in mind that you can submit builds early if you know you're going to be busy/not around, and you can even submit contingencies for builds if they are really going to depend on retreats.

Moody the Wise
2007-11-01, 09:44 AM
Fall 1903 Results
(Unless otherwise specified, all moves are good)

Austria

A gre -> bul
A ser supports A gre -> bul
F alb -> gre
A vie -> boh
A klu holds
A bud supports klu holds

China

A Omo S Sin
A Sin S Omo
A Man S Omo
A Tib-Cal bounced with Del-Cal and Mad-Cal
A Kan-Sik
F Vtn-Ann

England

F Hel -> Den
F Nth S F Hel -> Den
A Hol H
A Bel S A Hol H
F Eng -> Mao
F Mao -> Mor
F Joh H dislodged from Gos
F Sch -> Can

France

F gos - joh
F tha/sc S F gos - joh
F ann - sai
A par S F bre
F bre H
A por - spa bounced with Mar-Spa
A mar - spa bounced with Por-Spa

Germany

Kie- Ber
Den- Kie
Bal- Den failed against Hel-Den
Ska- hold
Ruh- Hol

India

eio - cey
del - cal bounced with mad-cal and tib-cal
mad - cal bounced with del-cal and tib-cal
brm H
jav - cel

Italy

F tys-tun
F dan-goa
F ion-aeg bounced with F Aeg
F eas S F ion-aeg support cut by move from Smy
F apu-ion failed because Ion-Aeg failed
A pie H
A ven H

Japan

F phi holds
F kar holds
F fuj-spo
A vla holds
F soj S A vla

Russia

F nwy - ska bounced with F Ska
F swe - bal bounced with F Bal
A fin - swe failed because swe-bal failed
A sil - sax
A gal - klu bounced 2:2 with Klu
A Rum sup A gal - klu
F sev - bla
A tur - oms
A sib - vla bounced 2:2 with A Vla
F soo sup A sib - vla

Turkey

a yem -> nej
f ara convoy a snd -> yem
a snd -> yem
f smy -> eas bounced with F Eas
f aeg s f smy -> eas support cut by move from Ion
a con -> bul failed against Gre-Bul

Fall 1903 Retreat Map

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t190/moodythewise/Fall1903retreat.jpg

One retreat for F Joh is due to me within 24 hours.

viggo
2007-11-01, 04:48 PM
Turkish Fleet to Sail South

"Let's see if the waters of the Somali Sea are warmer," Admiral Malek said in an address to his sailors. "I'm tired of the Arabian Sea anyway. The fishing is terrible, the women are hairy and there's always sand in the air."

Moody the Wise
2007-11-01, 04:56 PM
I'd like to point out that there is an error in the map due to a minor clerical mistake. The Russian army currently in Turkistan is in fact in Omsk. I'll have the error corrected on the map when I put out the post-retreat map.

J_Muller
2007-11-01, 10:13 PM
The Tokyo Dispatch
WAR!
The Japanese government responded with alarm today to news of an English invasion of Canton. Speaking in an emergency press conference, Minister of War Ishiba said that the Emperor had decreed upon hearing the news that the "encroachment upon Asia by European swine" could no longer be tolerated. By decree of the Emperor himself, a state of open war now exists between the nations of Japan and England. "Deployment orders are being issued to all Japanese forces. The ships of Japan will sail, our armies will march, and with the blessings of the gods, we will evict the vile Europeans from Asia and send them back to the lands of darkness where they belong. It is clear now that the Europeans are not content to be neighbors with the nations of Asia. It is clear now that they wish to be our masters! We will enact harsh and judicious martial action, and leave their bodies lying in heaps for the carrion-birds!"

A War Ministry staffer later spoke to members of the international press to clarify that the Empire of Japan plans no action against French interests in the Pacific, only those of the English.

Moody the Wise
2007-11-04, 03:23 PM
Sorry about being negligent in my duties this season. I've been a mix of forgetful, busy, and on a weird sleep schedule.

The fleet in Joharra disbanded. I don't think this one change warrants a whole new map. Recall also that the Russian army in Turkistan is really in Omsk.

Since I was kind of lax about reminding you all about builds and I don't have them all yet, builds will be due by 2200 hours Monday, GMT-6. Since I live in an area that uses Daylight Savings Time, EST for me is now GMT-6, rather than GMT-5. That is something that you should all take note of. I cannot be held accountable for you not paying attention to things that are said in this thread.

Moody the Wise
2007-11-06, 11:00 PM
Spring 1904 Map

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t190/moodythewise/Spring1904REAL.jpg

Russia and Germany failed to submit disband orders. As a result, jDip has disbanded F Ska, A Sax, and F Swe.

Since I was even a day late on my extension of the extended build deadline, I'm going to go ahead and give you until Thursday night for Spring 1904 orders to be due. If anyone would like longer, let me know.

Moody the Wise
2007-11-09, 12:49 PM
Spring 1904 Results

Austria:

A bud -> ser failed because Ser-Rum failed
A ser -> rum bounced with Rum
A bul supports A ser -> rum
A klu supports A ser -> rum support cut by move from Gal
A boh supports A vie -> gal
A vie -> gal
F gre -> aeg

China:

A Sin-Tur failed against Sib-Tur
A Omo-Sin bounced with move from Tib
A Tib-Sin bounced with move from Omo
A Sik-Can
F Ann S F Phi-SCH
A Man S A Vla

England:

F Den -> Kie
A Hol Supports F Den -> Kie
F Bel -> Pic
F Mao -> Eng
F Mor -> Wes
F Nth -> Ska
F Lon -> Nth
F Edi -> Nrg
A Liv -> Yor
F Can -> Pek

France:

A por H
A mar - spa two orders assigned to A Mar; neither was used
A par - gas
A mar - bur see Mar-Spa
F joh - mal
No orders assigned to F Bre, F Sai, or F Tha; assigned to hold

Germany:

A Ruh-Mun
A Kie-Hol bounced with Hol; dislodged from Den
A Ber-Den
F Bal Convoy A Ber-Den

India:

Del - Nep
Cal s Brm
Brm H
Mad H
Cey - Eio
Cel s Sai - Sch unit's order does not match support given

Italy:

F ion S F gre-aeg
F eas-smy bounced with F Smy
F mag-som
F goa H
F tun-alg
F apu-nap
A pie H
A ven-tyr

Japan:

A vla holds
F kar holds
F soj-ecs
F tok-spo
F spo-phi
F phi-sch
A osa-fuj

Russia:

A sib - tur
A oms sup above
A fin - swe
F nwy sup above
A gal - klu bounced with Klu; dislodged from Vie
A rum sup above support cut by move from Ser
F bla sup A rum hold
F soo - npo

Turkey:

NMR; all units assigned to hold
F Aeg dislodged from Gre; no retreat possible; destroyed

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t190/moodythewise/Spring1904retreats.jpg

Retreats due for A Kie, A Gal

Retreats due by 10 PM EST Sunday

viggo
2007-11-09, 03:14 PM
I'm fairly confident I PMed you my orders. I can forward you the message if you want.

Moody the Wise
2007-11-09, 04:06 PM
I'm fairly confident I PMed you my orders. I can forward you the message if you want.

I would love for you to forward me that message.

thewamp
2007-11-09, 05:08 PM
I believe you adjudicated one of the mar orders? That shouldn't have happened, should it?

Moody the Wise
2007-11-09, 06:48 PM
I believe you adjudicated one of the mar orders? That shouldn't have happened, should it?

You're right. What happened is that I entered the first one, then thought about what to do when I got to the second one, ended up deciding to do neither of them but forgot to delete the first order.

So, I'll change it in the jDip file and it will show when the retreat map goes up.

Until then, everyone please imagine that the French army in Spain is in fact in Marseilles.

Maldiem
2007-11-09, 08:46 PM
England takes Kiel, Berlin next on list

"Denmark?" inquires an English admiral, "Yeah, that too."

French army led by schizophrenic generals

Privateers burn Canton, move on to Beijing

"We're not stopping until our goals are met. That's right. All the tea."

Turkish military kickin' it with the *****es and **s, too busy for war

Whale Watching popular activity for sailors on leave, English Navy relocates to better-suited waters.

Moody the Wise
2007-11-09, 09:49 PM
On the honor system, viggo says he PMed me orders and they got lost in cyberspace. I now hold a forwarded copy of them in my PM box. Unless anybody presents a clear objection by tomorrow night, I'll readjudicate the turn with his orders. If you're wondering, this is what would change:

The only move this would directly affect the outcome of would be the Italian F Mag-Som, which would become a bounce.

Ceridan
2007-11-11, 01:36 AM
As it is my F that will bounce I will weight in on the matter. I understand and have no problem with it. Murphy's law is a pain after all.

Elektro
2007-11-14, 12:58 AM
OoC: Hey Moody, are we still going to be turning in Fall 1904 orders this Wednesday? I'm assuming not since you haven't put up the map, but it'd be nice to know either way.

Vienner Tagenblatt - 15 Mai 1904

Holy Alliance Poised to Strike Turkish Homeland
The combined efforts of the Catholic alliance of Italy and the Austria-Hungarian Confederation have left the Turkish mainland vulnerable to assault in the Fall. In a recent speech at the Vienna Conservatory Feldmarshal von Hotzendorf had the following to say: "Our nation and our strong ally have achieved great success in pushing the Turks out of Europe. Now we shall press on to remove the threat of Islam from Christian Europe forever!"

Moody the Wise
2007-11-14, 12:20 PM
OoC: Hey Moody, are we still going to be turning in Fall 1904 orders this Wednesday? I'm assuming not since you haven't put up the map, but it'd be nice to know either way.

Yeah, about this game ... I think I need to take a little time off from it. I know that this is how games often die, but I've been very stressed out lately with school and next week I'm going home for Thanksgiving break and my parents don't even have a computer right now, or something. So I'm going to post the most updated map soon, hopefully today, and then put this on the burner until the Wednesday after Thanksgiving. In an attempt to save the game from dying in the meantime, I'll try to find you guys a "guest GM" to do a turn for you. Problem is, all the GMs currently running games are in this one or me ... but I'll see what I can do.

viggo
2007-11-14, 08:18 PM
find a turkey replacement and I'm down

Jamin
2007-11-14, 10:51 PM
I am willing to play as Turkey

Moody the Wise
2007-11-14, 11:20 PM
Alright, so my understanding is that viggo will take over GMing this game for the next couple of weeks and the_J-Man will take over playing as Turkey.

Viggo, you know your moves from last season, you can go ahead and readjudicate the turn with them or wait for me to get around to it. Feel free to make your own schedule.

Ceridan
2007-11-15, 12:51 PM
Will there be a new schedule?

Moody the Wise
2007-11-15, 06:01 PM
Will there be a new schedule?

That is up to your NEW GM ... muahahahahahaha.

Charity
2007-11-15, 06:50 PM
So I hope the alliance stands then Viggo... ok guess that was a bit hopeful.

Jamin
2007-11-17, 06:14 PM
So when are we going to start this thing

Maldiem
2007-11-18, 03:03 PM
Genesis of Empires (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62078), a somewhat different Diplomacy game that I'm DMing, has two openings as a result of dropped players. We're using non-standard start locations, and the two openings are for a North African empire and a Japanese empire. Feel free to post in the thread or message me if you'd like to take over for one of them.

viggo
2007-11-19, 12:21 AM
Sorry everyone, my internet access at home has been on the fritz for several days. I'll keep the same schedule, so moves are due Wednesday.

viggo
2007-11-19, 12:22 AM
Sorry everyone, my internet access at home has been on the fritz for several days. I'll keep the same schedule, so moves are due Wednesday.

Mael
2007-11-19, 07:43 AM

Aren't we still waiting on retreat results to be posted?

viggo
2007-11-20, 05:25 AM
hmm... i suppose so. pm your retreats to me and i'll adjudicate the map with turkey's updated moves and the retreats.

If someone has a jdip file that's updated properly, it'd be wicked awesome if they'd email it to me, [email protected]

Maldiem
2007-11-21, 12:53 PM
So... are orders due today? Because its hard for me to give orders if I don't know where the army in Kiel retreated to.

Jamin
2007-11-23, 07:19 PM
So are we waiting on me to turn in orders because I thought that we needed to see the retreats first

Ceridan
2007-11-23, 09:31 PM
Yes, confusion reigns. How about it Viggo?

viggo
2007-11-24, 03:38 AM
blah blah work blah blah thanksgiving blah blah mediacom decided to cut off my internet access even though i paid my bill

if someone has an updated jdip file, it'd be awesome if they'd send it to me. as soon as i get that or update the map myself i'll get everything posted.

seriously. send me a jdip file.

Elektro
2007-11-26, 02:12 PM
I have one for you. How should I send it to you?

viggo
2007-11-26, 08:05 PM
[email protected]

Charity
2007-11-27, 03:52 AM
Are you waiting for anything from me Viggo?
I think I sent you retreats.

viggo
2007-11-27, 06:40 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/vpollock/AllQuietonthePMFront-F1904M.jpg

a kie -> ber
a gal -> war

Moves due Friday

If the schedule is irregular, sorry. I'm really busy, I'll get to things when I get to them.

thewamp
2007-11-27, 11:33 PM
The fleet in gos ought to be in mal

viggo
2007-11-28, 04:27 AM
I haven't recorded moves yet. If that doesn't change your statement, I'll update the map with moves.

Elektro
2007-11-28, 11:36 AM
The_wamp is right. The fleet in gos should be in mal at the resolution of the Spring 1904 season. I had forgotten to move it, as I don't really pay much attention to the Pacific theater. :smallbiggrin:

You can check the Spring 1904 map posted by Moody as well. Sorry about that.

viggo
2007-11-30, 07:16 PM
12 hour warning -- moves due today

viggo
2007-12-02, 03:53 PM
I'm still missing four sets of moves. I'll give until I go to bed tonight to get them in.

viggo
2007-12-03, 02:34 AM
Retreats due from f cel, f ara, a mun. They're due ASAP.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/vpollock/AllQuietonthePMFront-F1904R.jpg

China and Germany NMR

japan

A vla holds
F kar holds
A fuj-tok
F ecs-for
F sch-bor
F spo-cel
F phi S F spo-cel

india

F Eio - Jav
F Cel - Bor
A Mad - Cal
A Cal - Brm
A Brm - Sik
A Nep - Cal

italy

A pie H
A tyr-mun
F ven-apu
F alg-mor
F eas S F aeg-smy
F ion-tun
F goa-ara
F som S F goa-ara

england

F Wes -> Mor
F Pic -> Bre
F Eng Supports F Pic -> Bre
A Yor -> Den
F Nth Convoys A Yor-> Den
F Ska Supports A Yor-> Den
F Kie Holds
A Hol Supports F Kie Holding
F Nrg -> Bar
F Pek hopes the Japanese have come to their senses (Invalid order, hold order assigned)

turkey

A Con s F smy h
F Smy S A con H
A Nej-Jor
A Yem H
F Ara-som

austria

A bud -> vie
A gal -> rum
A ser supports A gal -> rum
A klu supports A gal -> rum
A boh supports Italian A tyr -> mun
F aeg supports A bul -> con
A bul -> con

russia

A war - sil
A swe s F nwy hold
F nwy sup A swe hold
A rum - ank via bla convoy
F bla convoy rum - ank
A tur - ira
A oms - mos
F npo - tok

france

A mar - bur
A por holds
A gas S F bre
F bre holds
F tha holds
F sai - cam
F mal - gos

viggo
2007-12-05, 12:39 AM
f cel -> mal
f ara disbands
germany NMRs again, a mun disbands.

Charity
2007-12-05, 02:55 AM
Sorry to appear a bit thick, but was that a spring or an autumn move we just had there?
... and when are the next build/moves needed?

Oh, I am away this weekend... sorry.

viggo
2007-12-05, 05:07 AM
That would be Autumn 1905. Builds are due Friday.

Charity
2007-12-10, 06:40 PM
Are we still all on board?

Cool, just checking/ good luck with your finals Viggo.

viggo
2007-12-11, 03:47 PM
yeah i've got finals this week and haven't had time to adjudicate. i'll get to it later today, probably.

viggo
2007-12-13, 05:22 AM
done with finals tomorrow. post either tomorrow night or friday.

viggo
2007-12-16, 06:50 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/vpollock/AllQuietonthePMFront-S1905M.jpg

ok, it's early sunday morning. let's make moves due thursday. if i get them all in before then i'll happily adjudicate.

viggo
2007-12-23, 01:09 PM
it's now sunday again and i only have three sets of orders.

viggo
2007-12-26, 05:40 AM
i still only have five sets of moves in. i can either adjudicate or call it quits. i'll let everyone vote.

Mael
2007-12-26, 09:04 AM
Some people might not be around due to solstice holidays.
Have you tried PMing the people who havn't put in orders yet? Or checking when they were last online here?
I'm definatly against doing the turn with only half the orders in, but would prefer not to call it quits either.

Maldiem
2007-12-26, 01:22 PM
I vote for waiting a bit longer.

thewamp
2007-12-26, 01:54 PM
I'd send out PMs and wait a bit longer in any case. I have sent in orders, haven't I?

Elektro
2007-12-26, 05:59 PM
I'm okay with waiting until after New Year's to adjudicate the turn. I'm assuming those who post here will have sent in orders, so that will help us figure out who we need to replace.

Ceridan
2007-12-27, 01:09 PM
Are you waiting on move orders or build orders, and what season?

viggo
2007-12-27, 06:51 PM
moves spring 06. and yes wamp, i have your moves.

Charity
2007-12-27, 08:00 PM
I assume you have my orders Viggo.

viggo
2007-12-28, 02:29 AM
indeed charity.

pms sent to everyone that hasn't gotten their orders in.

viggo
2008-01-02, 07:29 PM
yeah so i still only have five.

Maldiem
2008-01-02, 10:47 PM
Well, we could look for more players. There seem to be replacements pretty readily available.

viggo
2008-01-03, 10:14 PM
for half the game? i'll give it a shot, i suppose...

viggo
2008-01-11, 08:38 PM
it's dead. sorry folks.

Maldiem
2008-01-12, 11:07 AM
England Declares Unilateral Victory

I mean, come on, we conquered China with one fleet.

thewamp
2008-01-25, 02:34 AM
Just in case anyone's reading this, I invite you to this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3835437) game.