PDA

View Full Version : New Prequel Book! 1/2

Bubble
2018-04-28, 08:45 PM
Check out @RichBurlew’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/RichBurlew/status/990310221150113792?s=09

2D8HP
2018-04-28, 08:54 PM
How do buy this?

Or anything on-line really.

Peelee
2018-04-28, 09:09 PM
How do buy this?

Or anything on-line really.

Sacrifice your firstborn. Or wait until the announcement comes out and hit up ookoodook with, I'm guessing, 25 bucks. Your choice, really.

martianmister
2018-04-28, 09:53 PM
OotS 0.5? Or OotS 1.5?

Keltest
2018-04-28, 09:59 PM
OotS 0.5? Or OotS 1.5?

1.5 would be 3/2, or thee halves.

martianmister
2018-04-28, 10:21 PM
It's a true prequel then, not some kind of midquel.

Peelee
2018-04-28, 10:23 PM
It's a true prequel then, not some kind of midquel.

No, still a prequel, since the story started at book 1. Book 0 is OtOoPCs It would help if I could read.

Keltest
2018-04-28, 10:25 PM
No, still a prequel, since the story started at book 1. Book 0 is OtOoPCs

Yes? That's what they said. Although I believe the word would be "interquel" rather than "midquel".

Peelee
2018-04-28, 10:27 PM
Yes? That's what they said. Although I believe the word would be "interquel" rather than "midquel".

Oh, i misread that. I am not a smart man.

Gift Jeraff
2018-04-28, 10:40 PM
Based on the colour, I figured it's the Azure City compilation book mentioned sometime ago.
EDIT: https://twitter.com/RichBurlew/status/957889507562545152

Ted The Bug
2018-04-28, 11:00 PM
My guess is How the Paladin got his Scar, Therkla's Kickstarter story, and one brand new short bonus story involving Azure City or paladins to get the interest of those who already have the first two from the KS.

And I'm willing to shell out 25 bucks even if only one of the stories is new to me, so here's hoping.

factotum
2018-04-29, 01:37 AM
My guess is How the Paladin got his Scar, Therkla's Kickstarter story, and one brand new short bonus story involving Azure City or paladins to get the interest of those who already have the first two from the KS.

As I said in the thread of the Giant's quotes, where this has also come up, it wouldn't make sense for "How the Paladin Got His Scar" to be in a book labelled 1/2, because I'm sure it precedes "On the Origin of PCs" (book 0). However, if it does include Therkla's story then that complicates things, because that's definitely post-OtOoPCs...

Yendor
2018-04-29, 02:09 AM
I'd just like to point out that saying just when Therkla's story takes place would be, well, a spoiler.

Oh, and since OtOoPCs ends almost immediately before the start of DCF, there's strictly speaking not much to put between them.

Mordokai
2018-04-29, 02:14 AM
Always looking to add to my OotS collection, so this is good news indeed. I suspect it may be a collection of How The Paladin Got His Scar, plus the assorted KS stories. If it's something else, that much better. If it's that... also very cool :smallbiggrin:

Any mentions of when it's coming out? Didn't see any date on twitter post.

ti'esar
2018-04-29, 03:56 AM
Yes? That's what they said. Although I believe the word would be "interquel" rather than "midquel".Oh, i misread that. I am not a smart man.

I'd argue this very ambiguity goes together with the color scheme to imply that this is a KS Azure City compilation book, since those stories were at different points around the timeline.

Yendor
2018-04-29, 04:43 AM
Maybe we'll finally get those pages from the Azure City phonebook. :smalltongue:

Gift Jeraff
2018-04-29, 11:05 AM
As I said in the thread of the Giant's quotes, where this has also come up, it wouldn't make sense for "How the Paladin Got His Scar" to be in a book labelled 1/2, because I'm sure it precedes "On the Origin of PCs" (book 0). However, if it does include Therkla's story then that complicates things, because that's definitely post-OtOoPCs...

I think that's putting way too much thought into it.

Procyonpi
2018-04-29, 12:09 PM

And I'm willing to shell out 25 bucks even if only one of the stories is new to me, so here's hoping.

Hell, I'd shell out money soley to get stories I already have digital access to in a nice bond paper format and to support Rich's creative endevours.

King of Nowhere
2018-04-29, 01:25 PM
rich announced that he had plans for 3 prequels, but we never heard of the third. And I somehow doubt that's the one. I fear the original prequel plan was scrapped.

Keltest
2018-04-29, 01:29 PM
rich announced that he had plans for 3 prequels, but we never heard of the third. And I somehow doubt that's the one. I fear the original prequel plan was scrapped.

While I rather suspect this is an Azure City compilation book rather than, say, a Vector Legion prequel, the O-chul story was listed as the primary time sink at the time, and that was only just recently finished.

hroþila
2018-04-29, 01:47 PM
I'ma put EVEN MORE thought into it: it's 1/2 because -1/2, which might have fit a bit better, is already reserved for the Vector Legion prequel.

YEAH.

Reboot
2018-04-29, 04:29 PM
While I rather suspect this is an Azure City compilation book rather than, say, a Vector Legion prequel, the O-chul story was listed as the primary time sink at the time, and that was only just recently finished.

Well, in terms of what remains...

Kickstarter-wise, the O-Chul, Belkar, Therkla and Haleo & Julelan stories are done. O-Chul & Therkla will undoubtedly be in an Azure City compilation book, and there's a decent chance that Uncivil Servant and H&J will be chucked in to have all the KS stories to date in one book.

That still leaves the Julio Scoundrél, Sir Francois, the CCPD and Dim Sun stories sitting there [As of his last KS update a month ago (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/599092525/the-order-of-the-stick-reprint-drive/posts/2145652), Sir Francois was furthest advanced, with 3/3 yellows lit. CCPD & Dim Sun were at 1/3 yellow, and Julio is entirely "unlit". He also said he'd be doing another KS story (SF?) before a second round of minis.] I think all those stories kind of "need" to be done before he does another prequel book beyond that list.

Peelee
2018-04-29, 04:43 PM
I'm going to go out on a lb and say that book 1/2 is the secret Kickstarter goal that was never revealed. Barring that, my second guess is that it'll be the O-Chul story with other Azure City stuff, but no other Kickstarter stories. There are still three KS PDFs unfinished, and I think that when he puts them in a book, he'll have them all published together, in a Kickstarter Collection, so to speak, instead of having them be spread apart.

Of course, I have a horrible track record of predicting what'll happen, so there's that.

2D8HP
2018-04-29, 08:41 PM
Dare I hope that this will be an actual book I can pay cash for at a FLAGS, instead of a damn PDF?

Ted The Bug
2018-04-29, 09:15 PM
It's probably not the KS mystery prize because all of the boxes for that are still unlit. Unless there was a post or a tweet about it that I didn't see?

Sniffnoy
2018-04-29, 10:32 PM
I'm going to go out on a lb and say that book 1/2 is the secret Kickstarter goal that was never revealed. Barring that, my second guess is that it'll be the O-Chul story with other Azure City stuff, but no other Kickstarter stories. There are still three KS PDFs unfinished, and I think that when he puts them in a book, he'll have them all published together, in a Kickstarter Collection, so to speak, instead of having them be spread apart.

Of course, I have a horrible track record of predicting what'll happen, so there's that.

The problem with your first hypothesis is, well, look at the workometer (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/599092525/the-order-of-the-stick-reprint-drive/posts/2145652). Mystery prize #9 is listed as not even started.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-04-30, 12:10 AM
It's probably not the KS mystery prize because all of the boxes for that are still unlit. Unless there was a post or a tweet about it that I didn't see?

Well, that info is a month old, but I don't see Rich moving that fast given the number of pots he has on the boil. At a guess, this is probably at least partially an attempt to raise additional capital to pay for the spiraling postage costs associated with mailing out the crayon drawings.

Darth Paul
2018-04-30, 12:24 AM
Sacrifice your firstborn. Or wait until the announcement comes out and hit up ookoodook with, I'm guessing, 25 bucks. Your choice, really.

The sacrificing thing would save me a lot in support payments, long term. Is there any info on that...?

No, no, never mind... I really am quite fond of the kid. I guess I'll do the $25 option after all.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-04-30, 12:37 AM
Just as well. That other option really cuts into the odds of having grandchildren to spoil.

factotum
2018-04-30, 03:28 AM
Dare I hope that this will be an actual book I can pay cash for at a FLAGS, instead of a damn PDF?

You can buy the physical books from Ookoodook just fine, what's stopping you doing that? Given you're in the States you don't even have the enormous shipping charges to Europe to worry about.

2D8HP
2018-04-30, 06:44 AM
You can buy the physical books from Ookoodook just fine, what's stopping you doing that? Given you're in the States you don't even have the enormous shipping charges to Europe to worry about.

After the last time I bought a book on-line (for a University of Southern California textbook many years after the previous time), my credit card started buying things all over the world in places I've never been.

So I don't trust buying things on-line.

NerdyKris
2018-04-30, 07:12 AM
Are you accusing OokooDook of stealing credit card information and committing fraud, or do you mean someplace else? That's a pretty serious charge to just throw around like that.

LadyEowyn
2018-04-30, 07:13 AM
I hope it's available in PDF format, as I really want the O-Chul story and shipping costs make it unreasonable for me to buy the physical books.

2D8HP
2018-04-30, 07:18 AM
Are you accusing OokooDook of stealing credit card information and committing fraud, or do you mean someplace else? That's a pretty serious charge to just throw around like that.

Someplace else (University of Southern California).

I'll edit the post to make that clear!

It's just that I didn't grow up with the internet so it feels off, not paying cash in a store, besides if it wasn't for the FLGS I wouldn't know about the OotS in the first place so I like to support them.

Keltest
2018-04-30, 07:38 AM
Someplace else (University of Southern California).

I'll edit the post to make that clear!

It's just that I didn't grow up with the internet so it feels off, not paying cash in a store, besides if it wasn't for the FLGS I wouldn't know about the OotS in the first place so I like to support them.

As somebody who has grown up with the internet, let me reassure you that most companies larger than one person with a shipping label will take pains to protect your information. Its bad for business if you get sued for horribly mishandling a customer's financial information.

Although I can certainly understand the desire to support a brick and mortar local store if possible.

Peelee
2018-04-30, 07:43 AM
The problem with your first hypothesis is, well, look at the workometer (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/599092525/the-order-of-the-stick-reprint-drive/posts/2145652). Mystery prize #9 is listed as not even started.

Listen, just because you have "logic" and "reasonable arguments" is no mark against my theory.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-04-30, 11:13 AM
After the last time I bought a book on-line (for a University of Southern California textbook many years after the previous time), my credit card started buying things all over the world in places I've never been.

A prepaid debit card can do that for you. And once you deplete it, the risk is gone.

Yeah, I got where you went too. Mumbai, Hong Kong and Cairo all on the same day. At least the credit card company let me keep the miles.

Lord Torath
2018-04-30, 11:41 AM

So I don't trust buying things on-line.If it makes you feel better, online security has come a long way since then. I've bought several things off Ookoodook, and also Cafe Press, with no issues. You can buy from them with confidence.

Just, you know, do some research before clicking on links in emails sent by "financial firms". :smallwink:

DaggerPen
2018-04-30, 12:26 PM
I buy things online all the time and have only ever had one security breach, which my bank shut down immediately and on which I lost no money. I understand wanting to support local stores, though, which I assume that particular acronym stands for?

Anyway, I'm hoping for the Azure City compilation book for sure! Some of the other Kickstarter stories were released as standalone PDFs, and O-Chul's story is apparently almost a small book itself, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Kickstarter stories end up split amongst multiple purchasable offerings. And god do I want the O-Chul and Therkla stories yesterday.

littlebum2002
2018-04-30, 12:28 PM
Well, in terms of what remains...

Kickstarter-wise, the O-Chul, Belkar, Therkla and Haleo & Julelan stories are done. O-Chul & Therkla will undoubtedly be in an Azure City compilation book, and there's a decent chance that Uncivil Servant and H&J will be chucked in to have all the KS stories to date in one book.

That still leaves the Julio Scoundrél, Sir Francois, the CCPD and Dim Sun stories sitting there [As of his last KS update a month ago (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/599092525/the-order-of-the-stick-reprint-drive/posts/2145652), Sir Francois was furthest advanced, with 3/3 yellows lit. CCPD & Dim Sun were at 1/3 yellow, and Julio is entirely "unlit". He also said he'd be doing another KS story (SF?) before a second round of minis.] I think all those stories kind of "need" to be done before he does another prequel book beyond that list.

Wow. This post just highlights the insanely high amount of work Rich has done and has left to do. I'm glad he's willing to work so hard for his fans.

A prepaid debit card can do that for you. And once you deplete it, the risk is gone.

Yeah, I got where you went too. Mumbai, Hong Kong and Cairo all on the same day. At least the credit card company let me keep the miles.

This. If you are worried about using your credit card online (which really is an unnecessary fear, given the staggeringly high amount of safe online credit card transactions completed every day, but given that you are already a victim of identity theft, completely understandable), go use cash to buy a prepaid visa debit card for the full amount of the book plus shipping, then just use that. Even if someone does get your number, the card will be depleted with nothing for them to steal.

Grey_Wolf_c
2018-04-30, 12:29 PM
I buy things online all the time and have only ever had one security breach, which my bank shut down immediately and on which I lost no money. I understand wanting to support local stores, though, which I assume that particular acronym stands for?

"Friendly Local Game Store"

GW

DaggerPen
2018-04-30, 12:30 PM
"Friendly Local Game Store"

GW

Ah, thank you!

D.One
2018-04-30, 12:36 PM
Do we have any indication that 1/2 is the number of the book, intead of a representation that the book is half-way done?

I mean, the foot-1/2-foot seemed to me, at first sight, to indicate that something is half-way.

Jasdoif
2018-04-30, 12:46 PM
Do we have any indication that 1/2 is the number of the book, intead of a representation that the book is half-way done?

I mean, the foot-1/2-foot seemed to me, at first sight, to indicate that something is half-way.The pattern conforms to the other book covers; "by Rich Burlew" in white text horizontally on black, the bottom colored bar with the black book number (on the printed book's spine) framed by the similar color (on the front/back cover).

Rogar Demonblud
2018-04-30, 12:46 PM
It's a mock cover, so you see the back (a foot), the spine (the number) and the front (the other foot). Plus it fits with how the rest are done (D, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5).

Kish
2018-04-30, 12:49 PM
Aside from that, why would Rich make a cryptic announcement that something, he's not saying what, is halfway done? Months later when it's actually done any excitement over it would have turned to rancor.

Reboot
2018-04-30, 01:01 PM
Wow. This post just highlights the insanely high amount of work Rich has done and has left to do. I'm glad he's willing to work so hard for his fans.

Actually, it's more a sign that - in his own words! - he "spectacularly over-promised (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19170020&postcount=123)" on stretch goals for the Kickstarter (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/599092525/the-order-of-the-stick-reprint-drive/description). Remember, all the stuff from the KS is paid for, which is why it's such "a huge ongoing problem for [him]". After all, the estimated delivery dates for the KS, even the "PATIENCE"/"This package will not ship until all other orders have been fulfilled" ones, were all in 2012.

Peelee
2018-04-30, 02:09 PM
Oh, look, it's both my predictions being wrong. Color me surprised.

D.One
2018-04-30, 02:24 PM
Mistery solved. Good Deeds Gone Unpunished

Doctor West
2018-04-30, 02:27 PM

If I didn't know better, I'd think you were new to these forums. :smalltongue:

georgie_leech
2018-04-30, 03:20 PM

If you or anyone else is especially worried, one thing you could try would be pre-paid cards. Figure out what the total price is, get a Visa giftcard or whatever with at least that amount, and use that for the purchase. That way, even if there's a compromised site or you've got something funky on your machine, the most they can take is whatever is left over on that particular card. It's what I do.

Peelee
2018-04-30, 04:29 PM
If you or anyone else is especially worried, one thing you could try would be pre-paid cards. Figure out what the total price is, get a Visa giftcard or whatever with at least that amount, and use that for the purchase. That way, even if there's a compromised site or you've got something funky on your machine, the most they can take is whatever is left over on that particular card. It's what I do.

Bluebird is a great pre-paid card. It's AmEx, IIRC.

2D8HP
2018-04-30, 04:38 PM

Bluebird is a great pre-paid card. It's AmEx, IIRC.

Thanks for the in the info guys!

Rogar Demonblud
2018-04-30, 04:56 PM
Just so you know, most cards have a minimum of $50. See also Rich's comments in the other thread about when the money will be drafted.

2D8HP
2018-04-30, 05:04 PM
Just so you know, most cards have a minimum of $50. See also Rich's comments in the other thread about when the money will be drafted.

Thanks, I never bought one of those cards, and I've been wanted to get a copy of

Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales (http://www.ookoodook.com/products/gtpotsdr)

fot a long while now, so $50+ is fine

Peelee
2018-04-30, 05:05 PM

Not Bluebird. $20 min, IIRC, with no monthly or annual fees. Pretty great card, honestly.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-04-30, 05:07 PM
Thanks, I never bought one of those cards, and I've been wanted to get a copy of

Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales (http://www.ookoodook.com/products/gtpotsdr)

fot a long while now, so $50+ is fine

Also remember there may be interchange fees, so it might be a little higher than what the site gives you.