PDA

View Full Version : A Core d20 exploit (Mirror of Opposition)

purplearcanist
2007-09-03, 09:34 PM
Here is a d20 exploit I discovered:

Item duplication trick (duplicates ANY item):

1. Get a Mirror of Opposition
2. Find a really weak creature, such as a human baby
3. Give the creature all of the items you would like to duplicate.
4. Use the Mirror of Opposition on that creature.

Now, just keep the original and duplicate creature alive, and you will have duplicated items.

Have fun!

Laesin
2007-09-03, 09:40 PM
Use wondrous architecture, create a room with sequester and throw the babies in and you're sweet.

purplearcanist
2007-09-03, 09:43 PM
And use temporal statis so that they never grow up.:smallsmile:

Citizen Joe
2007-09-03, 09:48 PM
Now, just keep the original and duplicate creature alive, and you will have duplicated items.

Upon the defeat or destruction of either the duplicate or the original, the duplicate and her items disappear completely. The mirror functions up to four times per day.

If you restrain the duplicate then it is basically defeated, and would thus poof. If you did NOT restrain him, then he'd go after the original and kill it. Then poof.

purplearcanist
2007-09-03, 09:55 PM
But what about making it so that the duplicate can't defeat the original?
For example, by putting the original in a place the duplicate can't reach.

Damionte
2007-09-03, 10:22 PM
But what about making it so that the duplicate can't defeat the original?
For example, by putting the original in a place the duplicate can't reach.

Yeah but then those lil ??? marks will come up on the babies head and he'll run back to his spawn point, taking all of his loot with him. :p

Behold_the_Void
2007-09-03, 10:22 PM
The "defeat" line gives the DM pretty much free reign to poof the items if someone ever tries this.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-09-04, 12:08 AM
The "defeat" line gives the DM pretty much free reign to poof the items if someone ever tries this.

Even if it didn't...duplication tricks don't work, just because it requires a DM accepting obvious and far far far out of the way exploitation.

Artemician
2007-09-04, 01:43 AM
Even if it didn't...duplication tricks don't work, just because it requires a DM accepting obvious and far far far out of the way exploitation.

Very true.. but this reason doesn't only apply here. It also applies in the case of other exploits, even with less ambiguous wordings.

A lot of people seem to forget that even if the DM can't touch your PC, he can still give you a good thumping with those really thick and heavy sourcebooks.

lord_khaine
2007-09-04, 08:47 AM
a much better way to abuse the mirror is to hold it up in front of someone rich and powerfull, like a old dragon, and then either go in and loot the corpse, or wipe up the weakend survivor.

Green Bean
2007-09-04, 08:54 AM
You know, I've always thought a really cool trap would be a small room with several Mirrors set to go off one after the other. Adventurer walks in, and *poof*, there are sixteen crazed duplicates, each trying to kill their reflection. Yes, it would be woefully inefficient because half of the reflections would be trying to kill the other half, but you can't tell me a giant melee between a horde of identical folks wouldn't be a memorable battle.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-09-04, 10:29 AM
You know, I've always thought a really cool trap would be a small room with several Mirrors set to go off one after the other. Adventurer walks in, and *poof*, there are sixteen crazed duplicates, each trying to kill their reflection. Yes, it would be woefully inefficient because half of the reflections would be trying to kill the other half, but you can't tell me a giant melee between a horde of identical folks wouldn't be a memorable battle.
What kind of Dungeon has that many Mirrors of Opposition?

Lavidor
2007-09-04, 11:45 AM

I did that once. A PC was teleported into an octagonal room of mirrors.
Round 1: He sees infinite reflections of himself, spanning for what looks like several miles until they become to small to see. Suddenly, they charge. One leaves each mirror with the next close behind. PC surrounded.
Round 2, 3, and 4: Another leaps out of every mirror, you are lost in a huge group of duplicates. (Round 4 only:) After these ones jump out the next row smacks into the mirror, shaking it. The others swarm the mirror, attacking it with their swords.

Yeah. He was annoying me a Lot.
I ruled he make a strength check per mirror per round, if he made 3 in a row, the corresponding mirror would smash, letting the duplicates out (but giving them a -1 penalty on all checks due to 7 years bad luck). The room itself became an interplanar rift to any random plane, which was a cool plot hook as I could have the BBEG used something to control it as a permanent Gate to any plane. That was fun, but not recomended unless you have an annoying PC. Edit: I mean the 8 mirrors.

To the OP: I wouldn't allow it, but technically you could disarm the dupes and keep that stuff.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-04, 03:35 PM

Undermountain.

Green Bean
2007-09-04, 04:02 PM

I dunno. How many settings have powerful, yet warped mages in them?

reorith
2007-09-04, 10:37 PM

the first tier of demandrin's keep is built around this concept to an extent.

Machete
2007-09-05, 12:07 AM
Well, there is always using Hand of the Mage to repeatedly open and close a Flask of Cursing above enemies.

gooddragon1
2007-09-05, 01:20 PM
A big freaking vat of quintessence ought to fix the situation up pretty good.