PDA

View Full Version : Paladin wants to multi class fighter and asked about Eldritch Knight spells

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-04-28, 09:52 PM
In a way I guess I have a few sessions before this becomes a thing but I have a Level 3 or 4 Paladin who asked about multi-classing into a fighter for a level or two then asked how his spell slots would work if he went Eldritch Knight.

I'm familiar with "regular" multi-classing in regards to Bards and Sorcerers and how those work. There is just something about them two slot lists I can't wrap my head around.

Can you set me towards a page I should be reading online or in the manual?

Thanks in advance.

Grear Bylls
2018-04-28, 10:02 PM
Page 164. Paladin is half your level progression, Knight is 1/3. Page explains better

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-04-28, 11:29 PM
Lets see if I understand this correctly. Now I don't think I do.

A level 3 Paladin / who multi's into a level 3 EK

has 3 Paladin spell slots and with an 18 CHA, 5 Paladin spell slots.

the 3 EK levels contributes 1 EK spell slot and 2 EK Cantrips.

So then i take 1/2 the Paladin levels rounded down so 1 and 1/3 the EK levels rounded down so 1 and I have 2 total slots? That can't be right.

So I take the 3 Paladin slots the Paladin has and ad the 1 EK slot and have 4, all level 1?

ImproperJustice
2018-04-28, 11:41 PM

So then i take 1/2 the Paladin levels rounded down so 1 and 1/3 the EK levels rounded down so 1 and I have 2 total slots? That can't be right.

So I take the 3 Paladin slots the Paladin has and ad the 1 EK slot and have 4, all level 1?

I think you are over-mathing it.

For multi classing purposes:
3rd level Paladin is considered a level 1 caster (1/2 level rounded down).

3rd level EK is considered a 1st level caster. 1/3 level rounded down).

Looking at the chart for multiclass casters, you would have a number of spell slots equal to a second level caster (1 from level 3 Paladin + 1 level from level 3 EK).

Then you would prepare your spells as a 3rd level Paladin and 3rd level EK would. But use the spell slots from the multi class table to cast them.

Note: If you were a level 4 Paladin and level 3 EK you would have the slots of a level 3 caster on the chart ( 2 from Paladin and 1 from EK)
This would grant you a second level spell slot even though a level 4 Paladin and level 3 EK can only prepare 1st level spells. However, you could use those level 2 slots to “upcast” a level 1 spell like cure wounds.

BoringInfoGuy
2018-04-29, 07:53 PM

I think you are missing the difference between spell slots and prepared spells.

Your relevant ability modifier + your relevant character level determines how many spells you can have prepared for most castors. (Warlocks and Sorcerers use different mechanics)

Your number of spell slots is set by castor level(s) only. Ability modifiers do not affect how many slots you have.

I’m away from book, so I can’t tell you exactly what your player should have. But in general, casters have more spells prepared than they can have slots, and multiclass casters typically have spell slots which they can only use by upcasting lower level spells.