PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Barbarian Warlock viability

realitymeltdown
2018-04-28, 10:20 PM
I've got a build I was looking into, and wanted to see if it seemed viable at all from a optimization/playability standpoint.

I've been playing around with some builds and was looking at Barbarian/Warlock. Rage feeds into the Pact of the Blade. The barbarian 1 gives access to medium armor and shields, so hitting 17 AC is doable even at low levels.
I'd probably start at level 5.

The "theme" I was playing with was a tribal pact with death.

I originally was looking at Barbarian 1/ Warlock 4, the Fiend. Temp HP seemed a useful skill with the melee build, and if I hand wave the devil part, I can explain it as with death instead of a devil. It only delays the level 5 boost by 1 level, and seems to play off itself pretty well.

Then I saw the new materials, and saw something that is way more thematic, but seems so unoptimized I'm not sure it would even work.
It would be Barbarian 3, Path of the Zealot (necromancy)/Warlock 2, Undying patron. The theme matches up really well, but it seems like it's undercutting the levels too much and the abilities are just weak.
I'd wind up with 3 rages per day and 1d6+1 necrotic damage (where the power really comes from that +1 going up to +10 at level 20). I'd then have some so-so spells added, and a nigh-useless undead redirect.

Basically, it feels like I'd be trading a workable theme into a decent synergy build vs picking a super thematic by-the-book build with two vastly sub-optimal choices.

Any thoughts? Any other options I might consider?