PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Race/Class Combos

Wampyr
2018-04-28, 10:52 PM
So everybody finds a Half-Orc Wizard or a Kobold Paladin antithetical at first glance but often characters like these are the most memorable.

Of course, beyond the Goblin Cleric and its ilk, some might think a Dwarven Rogue unusual while others see it as perfectly normal.

So I ask you, what is your Warforged Bard? What is your Aarakocra Barbarian? What Race/Class combo is most unusual to you?

Jake92
2018-04-29, 12:14 AM
I have a player playing a tortle rogue right now. We're having a fun time describing a 5' 8" turtle weighing about 400 lbs running around at a 30 speed, pressing up against a wall and rolling high 20s in stealth checks. The whole time all I can think of is The Master of Disguise... "Am I not turtle-y enough for the turtle club?" Also from MoD I've allowed him to bite with Dex as an offhand attack for the d4 instead of claw, since a well placed bite can take your nose off :D

Wryte
2018-04-29, 12:45 AM
I played a troll warlock of the Archfey in a campaign. She was a troll freak who mutated after devouring the remains of a dryad to absorb some of her innate magic, and was then haunted by the dryad's spirit as her patron. Perhaps the most important thing this did was allow her to cast Goodberry once a day as a racial ability, which was sufficient to curb her monstrous hunger. With her hunger dialed back and her intelligence raised, she began approaching the world with the insatiable curiosity of a child in the monstrously strong body of a giantess, only tenuously held in check by the exasperated maternal voice in her head.

Protato
2018-04-29, 12:48 AM
Played a Warforged Dragon Sorcerer in a oneoff. Basically was intended to be the testbed prototype for an army of magic-imbued robots but the experiment went wrong and the lab was destroyed. He regained consciousness hundreds of years later and is in awe of the world.

Luccan
2018-04-29, 01:26 AM
Tiefling STR fighter. It's a bit more specific but their racial abilities really don't support this. And yet a demonic humanoid in heavy armor wielding an over sized sword or axe seems so cool.

Vorok
2018-04-29, 01:48 AM
I'm not sure if my Half-Orc Valor bard counts, since he is a (at least partially) a melee fighter. Grew up in a temple of Mielikki.

Half-Orc Cleric of Life, he worships LLiira, member of a City Watch, comes from 9 siblings iirc. Couldn't meet a more happy person this side of the continent.

Half-Orc Druid, comes from a noble family, had to run off to protect (?) his lover from a rival family.

Tiefling Paladin of the Ancients, dex based.

Half-Orc Dragon sorcerer, kind of former pirate, made a deal with a dragon for power.

Hill dwarf brewer, that suddenly manifested volatile magic powers (Wild magic Sorcerer), for which his clan cast him out until he learns to control them.

Half-Orc smith, who slept with an Archfey who liked his Smithing skill. It gave him powers for him to get rare materials to smith great works for the fey. (Polearm master Archfey blade lock with a level in Fighter for heavy armor.)

all but two are just character concepts I'd like to play :(

Wryte
2018-04-29, 02:15 AM
Half-Orc smith, who slept with an Archfey who liked his Smithing skill. It gave him powers for him to get rare materials to smith great works for the fey. (Polearm master Archfey blade lock with a level in Fighter for heavy armor.)

FYI, multiclassing to Fighter only gives up to Medium armor proficiency. The only way to get Heavy from a class dip is to go with one of the Cleric domains that grants it as a 1st level Domain feature. Otherwise, you need to start as a class with Heavy proficiency, or spend the feat.

gloryblaze
2018-04-29, 05:21 AM
FYI, multiclassing to Fighter only gives up to Medium armor proficiency. The only way to get Heavy from a class dip is to go with one of the Cleric domains that grants it as a 1st level Domain feature. Otherwise, you need to start as a class with Heavy proficiency, or spend the feat.

Based on the backstory snippet (was a smith, then slept with an archfey) it sounds to me like Fighter 1/Warlock X. Starting fighter for armor profs was a pretty common suggestion for bladelocks back before Hexblade came out

Spore
2018-04-29, 08:13 AM
I did a Panda folk Barbarian Chi Master ala Son Goku. With energy beams and combat rage and later on flying. The campaign lasted a whole single session.

Vorok
2018-04-29, 08:44 AM

I know. At first it was warlock with a fighter dip and a feat for heavy armor, but going fighter 1, then straight warlock (possibly taking second level of fighter sometime later) seems like the least convoluted way to get heavy armor, polearms and fey magic.

orcsneedbetter
2020-05-23, 12:36 PM
I have a whole WIP notes file for interesting character ideas have:
Orc bard
Halfling barbarian (badger themed)
Fungus based cleric/druid
Goblin bard (goblin instruments)
Warforged Druid (wooden)
Beast master warforged
Tanky spellcaster (race?)
Neutral Good Raven Queen Death Cleric, enforces death, but not a murderer, kills immortals
Cleric secretly undead
Opposite of a fallen angel (tiefling light cleric/paladin)

Peelee
2020-05-23, 01:20 PM
The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Dead threads should not be used as a race for any class.