PDA

View Full Version : Wand in one hand sword in another. HELP!

LordDeath666
2018-04-29, 12:51 AM
I am playing a Goliath rogue with 4 arms and multiweapon fighting and was wondering if I could hold daggers in two hands and wonds in the other and use all four as a full attack

Rebel7284
2018-04-29, 01:08 AM
How did you get 4 arms? Those arms may or may not have rules attached to them. In general in D&D, your number of attacks with manufactured weapons is determined by your BAB. You can hold 10 weapons if you want, but if your BAB is only 6, you have two weapons attacks and that's it. Of course certain class features, such as a monk's ability to flurry, can change this.

In addition to your manufactured attacks, you can attack once with each natural weapon (at a penalty), but those are neither swords or wands.

Some related feats for inspiration:
Double Wand Wielder (Complete Arcane, p. 77) allows you to use two wands at the same time.
Draconic Claw ( Races of the Dragon, p. 102) allows you to attack as a swift action after casting a spell.

LordDeath666
2018-04-29, 02:06 AM
I drank a random potion and got two extra arm that act like my original two

It confused me on how but I'm rolling with it.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-04-29, 02:22 AM
You can use the two swords (with substantial penalties unless you have the appropriate feats) but activating a wand is not an action you can substitute for making an attack. Activating a wand is usually a standard action so you can't normally make am attack on the same turn you use one. You also can't usually use two unless one of them has a swift action activation time.

LordDeath666
2018-04-29, 02:32 AM
Doesn't the feat multiweapon fighting allow you to attack with all hands so if I had 4 scimitars it would allow me to attack with all four. And if so if I had a Bab of 6/1 could I make an attack with each weapon twice taking a total of 8 swings

Kelb_Panthera
2018-04-29, 02:49 AM
Doesn't the feat multiweapon fighting allow you to attack with all hands so if I had 4 scimitars it would work

If you have 4 weapons you can attack once with each of your three off-hand weapons in the same round you make your normal attacks for having a BAB of 6 or more but you take vicious penalties on all of your attacks if you don't have the multiweapon fighting feat (which is what I think you're referring to). Scimitars are also less than ideal since, as one-handed weapons, they impose a greater penalty on the attack rolls for using multiple weapons than light weapons do.

With inappropriate weapons and no feat, it's -6 to your primary weapon and -10 to your three off-hands.
With appropriate weapons and no feat, it's -4/-8
With inappropriate weapons and multiweapon fighting, it's -4/-4
With appropriate weapons and feat, it's -2/-2

This is actually the same as two-weapon fighting in all regards except the number of attacks allowed.

Remuko
2018-04-29, 02:59 AM
Doesn't the feat multiweapon fighting allow you to attack with all hands so if I had 4 scimitars it would allow me to attack with all four. And if so if I had a Bab of 6/1 could I make an attack with each weapon twice taking a total of 8 swings

With BAB 6/1 and 4 arms you would make 2 attacks with your single primary arm and then 1 attack with each of the other 3 all at appropriate penalties for multiweapon fighting. BAB doesnt give you extra attacks for your other arms. And as was already explained none of this lets you use wands as part of that full attack.

LordDeath666
2018-04-29, 03:15 AM
Thank you everyone for clarifying this

Gullintanni
2018-04-29, 06:37 AM
One of the potentially more advantageous strategies here is to fight with a two handed weapon and a shield, or a two handed reach weapon and a close in weapon.

When using a great word, for example, you'd get the full 1.5x strength bonus and be able to use a shield in your other hands. Alternately, you could carry a polearm in your other hands, and alternate between far and close attacks at will.

Keep in mind that you can make attacks with different weapons in the same round without taking two weapon fighting penalties as long as the number of attacks you make does not exceed your normal number of iteratives.

Elkad
2018-04-29, 10:55 AM
Dual Wand Wielder lets you use a wand as an off-hand attack with another wand. (the offhand wand uses double charges per cast though)

Houseruling that to let you use a sword+wand wouldn't be terrible.
Cutlass/Rapier/Lightsaber + off-hand Pistol is a pretty iconic fighting style. Doing it with a Wand seems to fit the flavor as well.

Uncle Pine
2018-04-29, 11:36 AM
Dual Wand Wielder lets you use a wand as an off-hand attack with another wand. (the offhand wand uses double charges per cast though)

Houseruling that to let you use a sword+wand wouldn't be terrible.
Cutlass/Rapier/Lightsaber + off-hand Pistol is a pretty iconic fighting style. Doing it with a Wand seems to fit the flavor as well.

It actually does not. The feat allows you to use a full-round action to activate two wands, which is different from using a wand as part of an attack action.

However, do remember that you can just put a wand chamber on a weapon to be able to activate the wand whenever you want. If the spell in the wand you're using can be cast as a swift action (i.e. wraithstrike) you can even activate the wand before or during your full attack routine.

The Viscount
2018-04-29, 02:15 PM
You might ask your DM about using the Wandstrike Feat. As written it says that it's a standard action, but it's not very strong, so I don't see a big problem with including it as part of a full attack.

Nifft
2018-04-29, 02:24 PM

It is an iconic fighting style.

In D&D the pistol might be best modeled as a hand crossbow, though.

Calthropstu
2018-04-29, 02:37 PM
How did you get 4 arms? Those arms may or may not have rules attached to them. In general in D&D, your number of attacks with manufactured weapons is determined by your BAB. You can hold 10 weapons if you want, but if your BAB is only 6, you have two weapons attacks and that's it. Of course certain class features, such as a monk's ability to flurry, can change this.

In addition to your manufactured attacks, you can attack once with each natural weapon (at a penalty), but those are neither swords or wands.

Some related feats for inspiration:
Double Wand Wielder (Complete Arcane, p. 77) allows you to use two wands at the same time.
Draconic Claw ( Races of the Dragon, p. 102) allows you to attack as a swift action after casting a spell.

All people have forearms. Hope this helps!