PDA

View Full Version : imitating or emulating a gods weapon

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-04-29, 08:19 AM
In the game I'm in i follow the god Nerull. We are in 3.5 so he is still well and "un" alive. I wish to make a similar weapon as he had which was a Quarterstaff/staff of dark wood that would make a blade of red energy into a scythe at the one end. I don't plan on using it as a melee weapon unless its a last resort as a caster i shouldn't be in melee for my build.

Does anyone know of a spell/magic that would create a balded end either through magic or sheathing/unsheathing the blade from a "pocket" dimension or something so i can on command create a bladed end?

I had plans on making a Magical staff for myself to have spells to cast from as a catalyst and focus for myself.

hamishspence
2018-04-29, 08:23 AM
The Rod of Lordly Might has a "spring forth" spearblade/swordblade/axeblade:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rods.htm#lordlyMight

It wouldn't be that unreasonable to use it as inspiration for a rod, stretchable to staff length, with a spring-forth scythe blade.

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-04-29, 08:44 AM
The Rod of Lordly Might has a "spring forth" spearblade/swordblade/axeblade:

I'll have to run it by the DM to see if he will let me make a special one or something along those lines.

Anyone else have any suggestion or ideas just in case this one falls through?

hamishspence
2018-04-29, 09:01 AM
The Rod of Surprises (Magic Item compendium) is a rod with many weapon options, two of which are Quarterstaff and Scythe.

So you could be having it in Quarterstaff form, press a button, and it assumes Scythe form.

If it's underpowered relative to the monsters you're fighting (being only a +1 weapon) you could pay to "add properties" as Magic Item Compendium has this as an option for upgrading existing weapons. Maybe extra plusses, and the Metalline property, allowing it to be cold iron, silver, or adamantine. There's a property in Player's Guide to Faerun (Sure Striking, a +1 property) that allows you to overcome all four Alignment Based Damage Reductions too - no extra damage though.

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-04-29, 05:13 PM
That might work even better. Could always talk the Dm into cutting out the extras for my character and have one specially made for em.

Bronk
2018-04-29, 07:51 PM
There's the 'Spectral Blade' from Dragon Magazine Annual #5 (Annual 2000), page 105, 10,000 gold. It usually looks a sword hilt made of a bone of a creature that died violently, but when activated it emits a blade that looks like faerie fire, hits on a touch attack, and deals damage as the 'chill touch' spell. It can come in the style of many different bladed weapons.

Or you could just have a regular weapon and put an illusion over it.

Rebel7284
2018-04-29, 08:48 PM
What kind of caster are you? If you have access to cleric spells, PHB2 has Divine Retaliation that creates a weapon that mimics you deity's weapon. It's also Persistable, and a good spell to persist at that.

Thurbane
2018-04-29, 10:19 PM
Are you open to home brew?

Lifecutter
Transmutation
Level: Cleric 4, Sorcerer/Wizard 4
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: One staff (see below)
Duration: 1 round/level

A scythelike blade of red force springs forth from your staff.

For the duration of the spell, the focus staff is transformed to become a +1 scythe. You are automatically proficient with this weapon. If the weapon is handed off to another character to wield, the spell ends immediately: only the caster can benefit from this spell.

As you increase in caster level, the scythe gains additional powers:

9th level or higher: +1 Keen
13th level or higher: +1 Keen Wounding
17th level or higher: +1 Brilliant Energy Keen Wounding

Focus: A masterwork quarterstaff made from ebony, sablewood or similar material.

Zaq
2018-04-30, 12:27 AM
Are you open to home brew?

Lifecutter
Transmutation
Level: Cleric 4, Sorcerer/Wizard 4
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: One staff (see below)
Duration: 1 round/level

A scythelike blade of red force springs forth from your staff.

For the duration of the spell, the focus staff is transformed to become a +1 scythe. You are automatically proficient with this weapon. If the weapon is handed off to another character to wield, the spell ends immediately: only the caster can benefit from this spell.

As you increase in caster level, the scythe gains additional powers:

9th level or higher: +1 Keen
13th level or higher: +1 Keen Wounding
17th level or higher: +1 Brilliant Energy Keen Wounding

Focus: A masterwork quarterstaff made from ebony, sablewood or similar material.

That’s a cool homebrew spell! It’s waaaaay overpriced, though. I’d take GMW over it any day of the week up until I can get, at a bare minimum, the CL 13 benefit, and even then, GMW is likely still superior (the duration is killer, and the fact that you can’t share it is a noticeable drawback). Accordingly, I don’t think it’d be underpriced at 3rd, and it’s honestly probably not broken at 2nd (it’s almost strictly worse than Magic Weapon before CL 9, and MW is a 1st level spell for a reason). And don’t even think about how it compares to, say, Ice Axe.

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-04-30, 02:12 AM
Wizard/Sorc due to Ptsg classes stacking and ult mag. I would love the homebrew but game is 3.5 no dragon mags and no home brew. : (