PDA

View Full Version : Al- Teleportation Circle?

HolyDraconus
2018-04-29, 02:15 PM
A question that recently popped up that we hoped someone here could answer: HOW does the DM pick the first 2 in AL? Or does the player have to spend 365 downtime days just for 1 somewhere?

Kaliayev
2018-04-29, 03:14 PM
A question that recently popped up that we hoped someone here could answer: HOW does the DM pick the first 2 in AL? Or does the player have to spend 365 downtime days just for 1 somewhere?

A permanent teleportation circle is practically prohibitive for PCs. You probably have better things to do than cast teleportation circle at a single spot for 365 days in a row. It's also gonna cost you 18.25k GP in consumed components. Major organizations have the resources to pay someone to set up a permanent teleportation circle in their headquarters (they could also assign the task to the least popular member of said organization. Screw you, Dan!). Your DM can have the PCs labor or negotiate their way into such an organization's good graces, so they'll grant you access to their permanent circle(s). You can then select their circle as the destination when you cast your circle. The DM could also have the party find a permanent circle in a lost city or something similar. Said location could then be set up as a base of operations for your group.

Unoriginal
2018-04-29, 03:16 PM

I don't understand the question. Why would the DM pick teleportation circles, in AL?

Armored Walrus
2018-04-29, 03:21 PM
I don't understand the question. Why would the DM pick teleportation circles, in AL?

Probably because of this part of the spell.

"When you first gain the ability to cast this spell, you learn the sigil sequences for two destinations on the Material Plane, determined by the DM."

I don't AL, so can't comment on the OP's question. But hopefully I clarified it.

Unoriginal
2018-04-29, 03:47 PM
Oh ok. In that case, the DM just selects two places in the Forgotten Realms, and they're connected by the circles the PC knows.

LordEntrails
2018-04-29, 04:39 PM
Yea, but given the need for AL characters to be DM independent, I would be surprised if that aspect of the spell had not been rules out in AL play. Anyway, the only useful place to ask this question is to the AL judges themselves. http://dndadventurersleague.org/

Tetrasodium
2018-04-29, 05:08 PM

There should be permanent circles created here & there in most any setting, especially in large well established cities or formerly important places. In a world like eberron, you have the house Orien network that an heir could use for a small fee or a non-heir could pay a larger fee to use/even larger fee to be transported in. It's also possible that a dragonmark focus device would let someone with the mark of passage (house orien heir) use their mark to more quickly establish a permanent or semipermanent circle more quickly.

Ask you gm if it is reasonable for one to be around or you to know of one that goes to/near somewhere

HolyDraconus
2018-04-29, 07:00 PM
That's the problem though. The spell specifically calls out the DM to pick 2 upon learning the spell. So does that mean they must be made by the player or does she have the right to already have them made?

Kaliayev
2018-04-30, 12:52 AM
That's the problem though. The spell specifically calls out the DM to pick 2 upon learning the spell. So does that mean they must be made by the player or does she have the right to already have them made?

The player presumably has a right to two permanent teleportation circles that are relevant to the adventure/table. However those circles weren't created by the PC. The PC simply wouldn't have the resources to make a permanent teleportation circle. If the adventure involves working for a powerful organization or visiting multiple major cities, you likely have access to two circles related to those cities or organizations. I would argue the circles might change between tables/adventures, because a teleportation circle from a Chult adventure is gonna be useless in an Underdark adventure. Good luck keeping track of all those circles between different tables/adventures.

Like LordEntrails says, you're gonna have to get an official ruling, because AL can be absurd at times.

PeteNutButter
2018-04-30, 10:07 AM
I recall that there are certain AL adventure Mods that specifically call out giving players access to certain teleportation circles.

As a DM I'd be fine with granting access to a major city. Since most mods are small and self contained it really doesn't matter where the city is, as it'll be so far away that unless you can teleport back to where you came from you are leaving the mod. All said and done, it's a glorified hearthstone effect/a panic button if you'd rather end the mod than die.

HolyDraconus
2018-04-30, 01:32 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Got an official answer. The DM and player pick two spots in prime material. Bam, permanent magic circles appear. Would be a good idea though to annotate it on the character logsheet for when moving to different tables.