PDA

View Full Version : Ring of Sustenance and Parasites?

SangoProduction
2018-04-29, 04:25 PM
So, ring of sustenance makes it so you don't have to eat. But what if something is getting its sustenance from you, like a Lamprey or what have you? Does it create enough sustenance to sustain both you and the parasite?

If it does, then if you could make multiple creatures sustain from you by some method, at what point does it just stop working?

Considering you could have infinite food, given a troll willing to sacrifice its arms a couple times a day....and people willing to eat the arm...I guess it isn't that far of a stretch.

Venger
2018-04-29, 05:49 PM
So, ring of sustenance makes it so you don't have to eat. But what if something is getting its sustenance from you, like a Lamprey or what have you? Does it create enough sustenance to sustain both you and the parasite?

If it does, then if you could make multiple creatures sustain from you by some method, at what point does it just stop working?

Considering you could have infinite food, given a troll willing to sacrifice its arms a couple times a day....and people willing to eat the arm...I guess it isn't that far of a stretch.

Yeah, it works normally. Ring of sustenance works whether you're a jermlaine or cloud giant, so it'll impart any amount of energy. Having a gutworm (or infinite gutworms) or similar won't cause the item to not work mechanically.

infinite food is super easy to get in D&D without mutilating trolls.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2018-04-29, 07:15 PM
Parasites that feed on you (ticks, etc.) would still gain sustenance from you normally. Parasites that feed on what you eat (gut worms, tapeworms) wouldn't gain any sustenance because you're not actually eating anything. The ring nourishes the wearer, not anything else.

Jack_Simth
2018-04-29, 07:28 PM
Keep in mind: Everything still goes through you. A parasite that mechanically deals ability damage if you fail a fort save once a day... keeps the same mechanics. You don't need to eat to recover the damage, but you still take it and need a method to recover (rest, magic, whatever).

FreddyNoNose
2018-04-29, 07:32 PM

What if it were jackals eating you alive?

Psyren
2018-04-29, 07:33 PM

Why not something a little less humanoid-shaped? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0326.html)

XionUnborn01
2018-04-29, 10:58 PM
I'm AFB but I think either sandstorm or frostburn talks about the ring because of environmental factors. I think it's sandstorm because I think if it's hot enough you still need to drink water when wearing a ring.

Vizzerdrix
2018-04-30, 06:39 AM
infinite food is super easy to get in D&D without mutilating trolls.

But troll fear is the best seasoning of all! :smallamused:

Necroticplague
2018-04-30, 06:56 AM
Define this parasite mechanically. Otherwise, all you have is mass speculation about things that literally can't be known because the terms aren't properly defined in this context.

Assuming the parasite's stats said something along the lines of "while [attached], this creature does not need to eat. However, the [host] is required to eat more food, suitable for a creature of the [parasite's] size. This creature begins to take starvation penalties when its host does."
Then yes, it would work, because the creature is provided all the nourishment it needs, no matter how much that is. Whether it needs to eat a quarter pound of food per day, or 16 pounds per day, it provides all that is needed.

If the parasite is stated more similarly to all the currently-statted parasites that I know of (like Symbionts and Slaad egs), then no, because the ring doesn't do anything against the ability damage those cause.

If it does, then if you could make multiple creatures sustain from you by some method, at what point does it just stop working? Assuming it's statted like in the first method, yes, and there is no limit. The Ring has no specified number on the upper limit of the effective amount of food it can supply.