PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Melee Wizard picking spells

Gydian
2018-04-29, 07:23 PM
I’m playing a warforged abjuration wizard with the first level in forge cleric. The theme is that I have a smiths hammer that I hit enemies with. I just leveled up to 5 (cleric 1 wizard 4) I’m trying to pick what would be good offensive spells to bring down the mighty force of the Book Maker (characters name). Right now the deadly combo is searing smite pluse inflict wounds. Picking second level wizards spells I see shadow blade and magic weapon but both are concentration as is searing smite. It seems that inflict wounds will work with any of them but I don’t know which I should take and if I don’t than what?

ImproperJustice
2018-04-29, 08:40 PM
Cantrips are solid.
Green Flame Blade or Booming Blade will fit your concept and then some....

As far as 1-3rd level top picks?

Expeditious Retreat and Misty Step to get where you wanna go.
Thunderwave to clear space around you. Thunderstep at 3rd to move and blast.

Cleric wise: Spiritual Weapon and Spirit Guardians for a bonus action attack and to destroy people in melee range.
Combine with Sanctuary, Shield of Faith, Shield, and Absorb elements to boost survivability.

You may get some mileage from Protection from Good and Evil.

Blood of Gaea
2018-04-29, 08:48 PM
I'd seriously consider Mirror Image, it's a solid defensive spell and doesn't take concentration.

Shadow Blade is also great, I would use it instead of smiting for fights that will last a few rounds.

Blindness/Deafness is a pretty gnarly debuff you can throw around that also doesn't take concentration.

PeteNutButter
2018-04-29, 09:17 PM
I’m playing a warforged abjuration wizard with the first level in forge cleric. The theme is that I have a smiths hammer that I hit enemies with. I just leveled up to 5 (cleric 1 wizard 4) I’m trying to pick what would be good offensive spells to bring down the mighty force of the Book Maker (characters name). Right now the deadly combo is searing smite pluse inflict wounds. Picking second level wizards spells I see shadow blade and magic weapon but both are concentration as is searing smite. It seems that inflict wounds will work with any of them but I don’t know which I should take and if I don’t than what?

None of the spells you mention have any interaction at all. Searing smite requires a melee weapon attack. Inflict wounds is a melee spell attack.

As for good level 2 options for a melee wizard, mirror image is top notch. Flaming Sphere is great as you can often force either more damage or an opportunity attack and it's a bonus action to move so foes can get hit by both it and a melee attack.

Gydian
2018-04-29, 09:28 PM
I only have first level cleric spells so spiritual weapon is out. I get searing smite from the forge domain. Casting shadow blade once instead of s smite multiple times makes seance. I love mirror image, all my sorcerers have it. I have green flame but not booming because I don’t want friendly fire. I was considering knock or another utility spell. I want to focus on being a better fighter as contradictory as it sounds.

I have an AC of 18 and the abjuration bubble that cushions so well.

Sounds like mirror and shadow so far. Thanks for the input.

Blood of Gaea
2018-04-29, 09:34 PM
but not booming because I don’t want friendly fire
... What? Why do you think booming blade causes friendly fire?

Ventruenox
2018-04-29, 09:48 PM
I've always found that RP-thematic spells for the character are much more satisfying to cast than the mechanically optimal ones are. I never got around to trying to put your character's back story into prose in that other thread, so I apologize for that. "Major Life Events" are currently cascading for me.

I would suggest Phantasmal Force as the offensive 2nd level spell. The potential options provided are limited solely by your imagination. If Bookmaker is indeed trying to hide it's sentience from the aggresive humans after their takeover war, then Phantasmal Force has amazing diversity both in and out of combat.

Gydian
2018-04-29, 09:49 PM
I was under the misapprehension that booming did damage to creatures within 5 feet. I am now corrected.

Gydian
2018-04-29, 10:03 PM
Ph F definitely has great rp potential. I wouldn’t say Book is trying to hide from the humans. We keep starting fights with them every time we encounter some. It’s because the rest of the party has huge dislike for them. Comparatively Books racism is mild.
I’m playing a warforged that is racist against humans. Its very fun.

I have Shatter as an aoe which makes flaming sphere less impressive.

Role play wise he’s more interested in seeking knowledge which is why wizard makes sense.

Becoming a ruthless destroyer of things that get in his way is just a side hobby.

Blood of Gaea
2018-04-29, 10:22 PM
I've always found that RP-thematic spells for the character are much more satisfying to cast than the mechanically optimal ones are. I never got around to trying to put your character's back story into prose in that other thread, so I apologize for that. "Major Life Events" are currently cascading for me.

I would suggest Phantasmal Force as the offensive 2nd level spell. The potential options provided are limited solely by your imagination. If Bookmaker is indeed trying to hide it's sentience from the aggresive humans after their takeover war, then Phantasmal Force has amazing diversity both in and out of combat.
The difference here is that he's not asking for purely optimal spell choices. He's asking for spells that fit well with his character concept.

Role play wise he’s more interested in seeking knowledge which is why wizard makes sense.
In that case, I would also look at Detect Thoughts, Locate Object, and perhaps See Invisibility.

Gydian
2018-04-29, 11:34 PM
With all these suggestions I want to take or swap more than I’m alawed. I’m stuck with my previous choices.

I think I’m going to take shadow blade and mirror image
And the mending cantrip because those rp cantrips like presto and mage hand are so fun to come up with new and novel uses.

Gydian
2018-04-29, 11:36 PM
Q: what is my modifier to attack with the shadow blade?

Blood of Gaea
2018-04-29, 11:47 PM
Q: what is my modifier to attack with the shadow blade?
The Shadow Blade is a finesse weapon, so your choice of strength or dexterity.

Gydian
2018-04-30, 12:03 AM
So not my spell casting ability mod?

DAMN! That would have been nice.

Blood of Gaea
2018-04-30, 01:27 AM
So not my spell casting ability mod?

DAMN! That would have been nice.
Nope, there isn't really any way to use Int as your attack mod.

Though you do get access to Tenser's Transformation when you get 6th level spells, which makes you a pretty solid threat in melee as an Abjuration Wizard.