PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help with new tricks for an old Bag of Beans

Pefgis
2018-04-29, 08:12 PM
I just awarded my party of 3 level three characters a bag of beans. We'll be losing a member and gaining next session. Bag of Beans has some powerful effects, namely a possible optional encounter with a mummy lord, and a more imminent encounter with a bulette. For the most part most of the options seem fine for their level.

My real interest is potential new ideas to add for bean encounters and effects. It would be pretty easy to add more options by just dividing up what creates what on the dice roll. Besides the rather obvious addition of plant enemies like the tri-flower from tomb of annihilation, are than any other fun, interesting, or weird effects to throw into the mix?

Ventruenox
2018-04-29, 08:42 PM
Dragon Magazine #77 (1st edition) had a fantastic article detailing the effects of a Tarot of Many Things; expanding on the potentially campaign killing Deck of Many Things. If you ignore the major arcana cards, the rest could provide an interesting table of effects if beans from the Bag of Beans are consumed.

I'll just leave this (https://www.scribd.com/doc/21411643/Tarot-Deck-of-Many-Things) here.

Pefgis
2018-04-29, 08:58 PM
Thanks!
Some of those seem a little swingy or ridiculous, but there are a fair few that give me food for thought. I think I'm going to stay away from things that only effect the player who actually plants one, and focus more on things that can emerge or emanate in a radius that the entire party can interact with. Some of those things can definitely be tweaked to fit that criteria. Of course, as you said, consumption of a single bean is a different matter, so there are lots of options to play with there. I think My players are right now leery of eating one. One bean exploded when dropped, and another created pink toads that turned into a unicorn and harpy before disappearing. But you never know, players can make...interesting choices.