PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [3.5] Boosting SR For Monsters

Thurbane
2018-04-29, 11:32 PM
So, I was looking for some easy(ish) methods to boost the SR on a creature.

As the DM, I can always just hand wave an increase, but I prefer to follow RAW methods where I can.

I've done some searching, but the methods I've found are less than ideal (Boosting Spell Resistance (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?122435) for instance).

If it helps, the creature in question is a Ghirrash (outsider, 7 HD, SR 14).

Awaken Spell Resistance feat won't work because it's not a dragon (unless I slap the half-dragon template on it?)
Boost Spell Resistance feat gives +2 (if the creature is evil). One of the better options, but I'm hoping to poush higher than +2.
Exalted Spell Resistance feat gives +4 SR, but only against evil spells and such; also not applicable for a villain.
Daazzix's Vest (item) increases innate SR by +5, but a 25,000gp item would be utter overkill for this encounter

...is there any templates that would help? Preferably without driving CR up through the roof.

Cheers - T

NontheistCleric
2018-04-30, 02:05 AM
You could have the Ghirrash take Shape Soulmeld: Spellward Shirt and Bonus Essentia. Then, if it invests both points of essentia in the Shirt, it has SR 18. It's less a boost and more of a replacement, but the end result is that the Ghirrash has higher SR.

The Viscount
2018-04-30, 05:40 PM
Spellwarped Creature from MMIII would give a better spell resistance of 18, and would also provide some benefits when a spell fails to penetrate. CR increase is only 1 for the Ghirrash, and you could then throw on the methods you mentioned if you want a higher one.

ShurikVch
2018-04-30, 05:44 PM
Voidmind Creature gets SR 10+HD for +1 CR

Deadline
2018-04-30, 05:55 PM
Doesn't most SR follow a simple 10 or 11 plus Hit Die model? Couldn't you just advance the critter via HD to up it?

Thurbane
2018-04-30, 06:44 PM
You could have the Ghirrash take Shape Soulmeld: Spellward Shirt and Bonus Essentia. Then, if it invests both points of essentia in the Shirt, it has SR 18. It's less a boost and more of a replacement, but the end result is that the Ghirrash has higher SR.

Thanks for the heads up. I don't generally use MoI in my games, but I'll look into it.

Spellwarped Creature from MMIII would give a better spell resistance of 18, and would also provide some benefits when a spell fails to penetrate. CR increase is only 1 for the Ghirrash, and you could then throw on the methods you mentioned if you want a higher one.

Unfortunately Spellwarped can't be applied to Outsiders.

Voidmind Creature gets SR 10+HD for +1 CR

That looks like a solid option for CR +1. Thank you.

Doesn't most SR follow a simple 10 or 11 plus Hit Die model? Couldn't you just advance the critter via HD to up it?

While many (most?) creatures do follow this formula, it is not universal.

Also, SR doesn't increase by HD unless specifically stated to do so. I could DM hand-wave it, but I'd rather not.