PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Infinite Sneak Attack

seventh_soul
2018-04-29, 11:35 PM
A rogue lvl 4 can forgoe thier ASI for a feat. If they take Magic Intiate(Wizard) they can learn Find Familiar. Sneak Attack says that if there is another creature hostile to the target within 5 ft of the enemy then sneak attack procures. Step One: Get Familiar. Step 2:Walk into melee range. Step 3:Stab and sneak attack from familar. Step 4: Profit. Also, is this a way to make rogues viable for 1v1 dueling?

Finally, as a rogue with the stats of 12 strength, 22dex, 16con, 14wis,16int,and 18 charisma (The dice gods have blessed me, original rolls of 11,17,15,13,15,17.) going into lvl 16 with Alert and Tough feet along with ifreeti chain,boots of springing,and book of exalted deeds,(Extremely high magic campaign, although our party has no magic users) what should i use my ASI for. Also, is going past elusive worth it for rogue?

p.s my group of me, a 11th level pally, and a 8th lvl monk were able to kill a dragon turtle ridden by a storm giant sorcerer lvl 16.

If enough intrest will post a build of the rogue

ShirAhn
2018-04-30, 12:23 AM
A rogue lvl 4 can forgoe thier ASI for a feat. If they take Magic Intiate(Wizard) they can learn Find Familiar. Sneak Attack says that if there is another creature hostile to the target within 5 ft of the enemy then sneak attack procures. Step One: Get Familiar. Step 2:Walk into melee range. Step 3:Stab and sneak attack from familar. Step 4: Profit. Also, is this a way to make rogues viable for 1v1 dueling?

Finally, as a rogue with the stats of 12 strength, 22dex, 16con, 14wis,16int,and 18 charisma (The dice gods have blessed me, original rolls of 11,17,15,13,15,17.) going into lvl 16 with Alert and Tough feet along with ifreeti chain,boots of springing,and book of exalted deeds,(Extremely high magic campaign, although our party has no magic users) what should i use my ASI for. Also, is going past elusive worth it for rogue?

p.s my group of me, a 11th level pally, and a 8th lvl monk were able to kill a dragon turtle ridden by a storm giant sorcerer lvl 16.

Rogue's are designed to basically always get sneak attack, and if you want to be a duelist master the Swashbuckler brings exactly that. Imo the level 4 ASI for a rogue brings way too much even consider the familiar (unless for RP). Extra armor, initiative, damage, skills, chance to hit. A player who understands the class almost always gets sneak attack.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-04-30, 12:46 AM
wha subclass are you?

Arcane trickster's can do this 1 level earlier btw, but like above post rogues should be sneak attacking nearly every time or all the time.

Arvin Natsuko
2018-04-30, 12:53 AM
And IF you are using a familiar on a Rogue, is to use the help action to gain advantage, not only "melee budy". It's a common tactic.

Zanthy1
2018-04-30, 06:32 AM

Where have you been? Living under a rock? Thats what literally everyone with a familiar does, use it to gain advantage and if they're have any levels in rogue, sneak attack. Though there are better ways to get sneak attack up and running without wasting the ASI.

Quoz
2018-04-30, 06:51 AM
The real trick, especially in a campaign with high magic item availability like yours, is that initiate let's you count as a member of the class for other requirements like attuning to items or casting from a scroll. So don't waste your one spell on this, just get a bunch of 1st level spell scrolls.

SirGraystone
2018-04-30, 07:18 AM
Two things, one the help action in combat, is using your action (or in this case the familiar) to make a feint or distracting attack on a opponent to give you advantage on yours, but the familiar can't attack it say so in the spell description.

Two, a smart opponent will quickly kill the familiar to get rid of the distraction. Then you have to take an hour to cast the spell again. (And pay 10 gp in component each time). I know some don't keep track of spells component, I don't either most of the time except when there's a price attach to them.

Throne12
2018-04-30, 08:11 AM

Ok so this is what I would do.
1. Go vhuman for feat MI to get familiar first lv. Don't worry about darkvision when your walking around in dark look through your owl familiar eyes.
2. Don't take tough take Inspiring leader it give better tem hp to you, your familiar, and all your allies.
3. The cantrips would be mage hand, minor illusion.

Willie the Duck
2018-04-30, 08:30 AM
I think everyone has said what needs to be said. OP, yes, you have discovered an exploit. One of the most obvious ones and certain one of the most well known ones online. So yes, people are going to be doing a little gentle chiding that you thought this was special. But it is real. It has a boatload of limitations--notably that familiars are vulnerable/an hour to summon is trivial only in white room analysis or when you have infinite number of uninterrupted 1-hour sessions between fights (in which case that's the perfect campaign for a warlock or battlemaster, not a rogue).

The part I want to focus on is this:

Also, is this a way to make rogues viable for 1v1 dueling?

No, this is not the way to make a rogue work for pvp (which, btw, most people consider pretty asinine, so I don't expect a lot of advice to come your way on this). A rogue, against other PC-class opponents, should be fighting at range from hiding. End of story. If they are up against a full martial, this will not increase their damage enough to down the opponent before they themselves are downed, and against non-martials, they are just as vulnerable to saves as any other rogue. They should do ranged (from hiding). The end. And that they can do just fine without this ability.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-04-30, 08:37 AM
Also, is this a way to make rogues viable for 1v1 dueling?
Familiars are pretty squishy, so... eh. The Swashbuckler subclass (Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide and Xanathar's too), on the other hand, is exactly that, triggering Sneak Attack in any one-on-one situation.

Armored Walrus
2018-04-30, 08:59 AM
Rogue with an owl familiar using a flyby help action and a shortbow are probably the best way to 1v1 with a single class rogue. In my arena games, though, I didn't see any single class rogues competing, only rogue dips from either warlocks or martials. But yeah, if your opponent has any ranged attacks, that owl's gonna die fast.

If you can get an imp familiar, which can make itself invisible, that may have a bit more survivability.

But as others have said, it's almost trivially easy to set up the circumstances needed to get sneak attack dice in a normal game without having to burn a whole feat on it.