PDA

View Full Version : Bladesinger spellbook, changes?

Azazel_Unbound
2018-04-30, 01:25 AM
So, I really want to build a bladesinger oriented toward mele combat. Should I make changes to the spell list below, and what kind of changes?

1st alarm, chromatic orb, detect magic, find familliar, shield
2nd alterself, blur, mirro image, suggestion, hold person, phantasmal force, shadow blafe
3rd haste, and fireball

Quoz
2018-04-30, 01:45 AM
Looks like a good start. You probably won't prepare find familiar every day, you can cast it as a ritual. Often the same for Alarm.

Cantrip choice is more important for you than many wizards. Greenflame Blade or booming blade are your first pick but you still want ranged and utility. Mold Earth is a favorite of mine.

Also keep in mind that you only have one concentration (and if you're in melee it's likely to be broken often) and any time you cast as an action you aren't attacking. I would focus on out of combat utility, buffs, and AOE/multi-target blasting.

Blood of Gaea
2018-04-30, 02:01 AM
So, I really want to build a bladesinger oriented toward mele combat. Should I make changes to the spell list below, and what kind of changes?

2nd alterself, blur, mirro image, suggestion, hold person, phantasmal force, shadow blafe
3rd haste, and fireball
I'd swap out Chromatic Orb for Absorb Elements, and Blur for Misty Step or Blindness/Deafness.

I don't know what cantrips you have, but I would suggest:

Booming Blade and/or Greenflame Blade: Both add utility, but with you getting Extra Attack getting both really isn't needed, but it wouldn't hurt either.

Fire Bolt or Chill Touch: This will be your ranged option, Fire Bolt for damage, Chill Touch for added utility.

Raif
2018-04-30, 02:16 AM
Looks like a good start. You probably won't prepare find familiar every day, you can cast it as a ritual. Often the same for Alarm.

Cantrip choice is more important for you than many wizards. Greenflame Blade or booming blade are your first pick but you still want ranged and utility. Mold Earth is a favorite of mine.

Also keep in mind that you only have one concentration (and if you're in melee it's likely to be broken often) and any time you cast as an action you aren't attacking. I would focus on out of combat utility, buffs, and AOE/multi-target blasting.

the whole point of bladesinger wizard is partially to be able to maintain concentration while being hit. hasting yourself is definitely a viable option, and you're not losing that concentration if you have a halfway decent con stat and bladesong is up. throw in the normal res:con and warcaster and you're gold to never lose that haste on yourself.

As for starting spells I would drop Blur as it's concentration. You only really need 1 of the non-concentration buffs to help you not get hit so either keep Mirror Images or pick up Blink. With Bladesong up you're going to already be pretty tough to hit and adding in Mirror Images for when it does hit you or Blink to just not be there is all you really need with Shield.

Absorb Elements is a good pick if you're starting at level 5 as well though it's possible to pick it up a few levels later but you definitely want this spell.

Spell List Recommendations:
1st: Shield, Find Familiar, Detect Magic, Alarm, Absorb Elements,
2nd: Mirror Image/Blink, Hold Person, Shadow Blade, Misty Step, Rope Trick, Phantasmal Force
3rd: Fireball, Haste, Leomunds' Tiny Hut

JackPhoenix
2018-04-30, 06:16 AM
While you *can* wear armor, if you have slots to spare, Mage Armor is better until you find +1 or better studded leather.

RSP
2018-04-30, 07:11 AM

3rd haste, and fireball

A good question to ask yourself is how often are you planning on casting round 1 buffs vs making attacks. Shadow Blade is a great pick as it's a BA and let's you get in the action right away; not so much with mirror image or blur. SB also competes with Haste for Concentration (once you have 2 attacks at 6th, SB is better for damage then Haste, if using comparable slots; though obviously Haste adds other things to the equation, but is also riskier if you lose Concentration).

Not a bad list to start with, but I'd say you don't need MI and Blur. I'd also trade out some of those 2nd level spells for some more 1st level rituals and get Absorb Elements added in.

Edit: I second Jack in that Mage Armor is a worthwhile investment.

Kaliayev
2018-04-30, 09:30 AM
I'd swap out Chromatic Orb for Absorb Elements

100% agree with this. The material component for chromatic orb is pretty expensive for a new character, and you probably have better things to spend your gold on. By the time you're comfortable with buying a diamond worth at least 50 gp, you're probably looking to cast a level two or higher spell.

When you reach fourth and fifth level slots, greater invisibility followed by steel wind strike can be a potent combination when dealing with groups of enemies. You set yourself up for crit fishing on a 6d10 force damage spell against up to five creatures.

Lord8Ball
2018-04-30, 10:43 AM
As a bladesinger, the blink spell will make you un-targetable 50% of the time. That coupled with bladesong, shield, and mage/light armor will make you extremely hard to hit. Not only that, but you can use that to avoid attacks of opportunities from multiple opponents and still cast a spell or attack. I also believe it to be a non-concentration spell. Don't quote me on that I don't have the books on my atm.

PhantomSoul
2018-04-30, 10:44 AM
As a bladesinger, the blink spell will make you un-targetable 50% of the time. That coupled with bladesong, shield, and mage/light armor will make you extremely hard to hit. Not only that, but you can use that to avoid attacks of opportunities from multiple opponents and still cast a spell or attack. I also believe it to be a non-concentration spell. Don't quote me on that I don't have the books on my atm.

You've got that right too -- it's non-Concentration!

Garfunion
2018-04-30, 11:14 AM
Shadow blade is treated as a weapon, so extra attack gives to 2 attack with it or you can combine it with booming blade and green-flame blade cantrips.

Lord8Ball
2018-04-30, 11:43 AM
Glyph of warding could be extremely useful if you have the time and money to use it. The spell allows for the stacking of multiple buffs and from what I've seen from the thread God box. It could also be hilarious to use in duels when you can shape terrain and set off traps with mere words to trigger them without spending a spellcasting action. ps dualweilding shadow blades using this strat.

Azazel_Unbound
2018-04-30, 12:51 PM
So I'm planning to focus on dual wielding, SB with a shortsword. I also wear studded leather. From the recommendations I've received I'm seeing a shift in my spell list to look like:

1st: Shield, Alarm, Find Familiar, Detect magic, absorb elements, Disguise self*
2nd: mirror image, suggestion*, SB, Hold Person, Phantasmal Force
3rd Haste, Fireball, blink

*These were kept for flavor reason. I downgraded from alter self as a way to not have so much of a focus on my 2nd level slots, but still maintain the ability for stealth or espionage. It is mostly for social situations.

Is this agreeable? I will admit, I was a little startled ot realize haste was a concentration spell. It throws a small wrench in my plans.

PhantomSoul
2018-04-30, 12:58 PM
So I'm planning to focus on dual wielding, SB with a shortsword. I also wear studded leather. From the recommendations I've received I'm seeing a shift in my spell list to look like:

1st: Shield, Alarm, Find Familiar, Detect magic, absorb elements, Disguise self*
2nd: mirror image, suggestion*, SB, Hold Person, Phantasmal Force, blink
3rd Haste, Fireball

*These were kept for flavor reason. I downgraded from alter self as a way to not have so much of a focus on my 2nd level slots, but still maintain the ability for stealth or espionage. It is mostly for social situations.

Is this agreeable? I will admit, I was a little startled ot realize haste was a concentration spell. It throws a small wrench in my plans.

Do you mean Blur for the last second-level spell? Blink is level 3!

Azazel_Unbound
2018-04-30, 01:15 PM
Do you mean Blur for the last second-level spell? Blink is level 3!

No! It seems I put it in the wrong spot. I'll make an edit.

Blood of Gaea
2018-04-30, 02:41 PM
Looks like you're good to go, it's a pretty solid list.

RSP
2018-04-30, 02:54 PM

2nd: mirror image, suggestion*, SB, Hold Person, Phantasmal Force
3rd Haste, Fireball, blink

If you're really planning on building around SB (something I've considered doing as well), you don't need Haste as the two compete as Concentration combat spells. Not that Haste doesn't have other positives (2x movement and +2 AC), but if you're relying on SB for damage, there's not a great reason to have Haste at this point as a 3rd level SB does quite a bit of damage. Plus, in my opinion, the movement and AC benefits of Haste tend to be overkill the majority of the time on a PC that already has bonus movement and the ability to get the highest AC scores in the game.

The only reason I'd keep Haste is if you're planning on saving it as your alternative to Bladesong for when you have more than 2 combat encounters per short rest.

Obviously, you'll have to ration your uses of 3rd level spells and SBs throughout the day if going this route. If not conserving for Haste, you could burn 2nd and 3rd level slots on SB per combat as needed and be up there with DPR. The advantage in dim/dark is also fantastic for using this method of play.

This is also why I'd recommend getting as many Ritual spells as possible (and trying to solve non-combat encounters with them rather than other slots), as your 1st level slots will be eaten up by Shield and AE, while you really want to keep 2nd and 3rd for SB. If your table/DM tends to do fewer encounters than the recommended 6-8 per day, you can adjust your planned usage of spell slots accordingly.

Using SB (with or without DWing) as your basic weapon can be done, but it eats into the Wizard's natural versatility as you really need to dedicate your resources to using it.