PDA

View Full Version : How Much Ki is Enough? Assa Rogue/Shadow Monk Multiclass

hymer
2018-04-30, 06:21 AM
I'm toying with the idea of a classic Assassin/Shadow Monk multiclass (I'm thinking Wood Elf with the Acolyte background). The character concept leans mostly towards Rogue, so I am wondering how much Ki is basically enough, and so how much monk should I aim for?
The idea would be to use Ki mostly for Stunning Strike, and just the occasional Shadow Arts spell - and very little of Flurry or Patient Defense. For those with some insight into that, could you tell me about what level you feel like you're rarely or never short of Ki?

Being Rogue more than Monk, I'm thinking I'd swallow the saves of the Rogue for the extra skill, so I'd go Ro3, then Monk6. Possibly mixing in some earlier rogue among those six monk levels if the Ki feels sufficient. Any wise thoughts on that?

I'm thinking it would be too bitter to risk getting level 7 in both rogue and monk (for the double Evasion), if the character gets to level 14. What are your thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance, good playgrounders! Any thoughts and comments on the subject are wlecome. :smallsmile:

LordNibbler
2018-04-30, 07:13 AM
One can burn through a lot of ki points quickly in combat. Stunning strike and, to a lesser extent, flurry of blows (the bonus action competes with your shadow step) are great when you land them. I would say it depends on whether you want to be melee or ranged. If you want to be ranged, Monk6/RogueX gets you shadow step and extra attack. You won’t be using stunning strike anyway. Melee is a little more complex. First of all, a short sword is the only monk weapon that you can use for sneak attack damage. Second, you will have to decide if you prefer stunning strike to sneak attack damage. Personally, I like stunning strike as it helps the party by preventing an enemy from taking their action. Seeing as enemies sometimes make that save, you should have a good-sized ki pool to ensure you have more chances, meaning you’ll need more monk levels. You could go up to Monk 14 and get Diamond Soul. If you want to be more damage-oriented, after Monk 6 take more levels of Rogue to grow your sneak attack pool.

Citan
2018-04-30, 07:28 AM
Hi ! Well I love Assassin's higher features myself but they require some downtime investment. If your main goal is to mae combat optimization then stop at Rogue 5 for Uncanny Dodge. More Monk from there means more use of Monk features, much better combat features, better unarmed strike damage and better mobility.

Spacehamster
2018-04-30, 07:29 AM
Would say 8 monk 12 assassin would be good, 8 ki points, 6 feat/ASI. :)

hymer
2018-04-30, 07:34 AM
The intention is to use dual daggers. The occasional throwing may happen, but the idea is to melee - as a flanker, not a frontliner, though once I get Uncanny Dodge, I won't be all that squishy and may stand in the front line a little.
As for SS vs SA, the idea is definitely to do more SAs than SSs. The SSs will be for casters and bosses above all.

nickl_2000
2018-04-30, 07:36 AM
One can burn through a lot of ki points quickly in combat. Stunning strike and, to a lesser extent, flurry of blows (the bonus action competes with your shadow step) are great when you land them. I would say it depends on whether you want to be melee or ranged. If you want to be ranged, Monk6/RogueX gets you shadow step and extra attack. You won’t be using stunning strike anyway. Melee is a little more complex. First of all, a short sword is the only monk weapon that you can use for sneak attack damage. Second, you will have to decide if you prefer stunning strike to sneak attack damage. Personally, I like stunning strike as it helps the party by preventing an enemy from taking their action. Seeing as enemies sometimes make that save, you should have a good-sized ki pool to ensure you have more chances, meaning you’ll need more monk levels. You could go up to Monk 14 and get Diamond Soul. If you want to be more damage-oriented, after Monk 6 take more levels of Rogue to grow your sneak attack pool.

A quick note. You can also use a dagger in melee for both sneak attack and a shadow monk weapon (at level 5 monk the damage will be the same for both, so if you can get a magical version of either it works).