PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer Wizard Multiclass tradition choice

Haydensan
2018-04-30, 07:29 AM
Hi all

I am in the process of finalising my character for a new game that im going to be playing in that starts at Lv 5.

I've been wanting to throw caution to the wind for a while and play a blaster sorcerer multi classed into wizard (after being inspired by guru's guide).

I've gone with standard tiefling with a stat array of: 8, 12, 14, 14, 10, 17 and a class split of Sorc 3/Wiz 2 (started in sorc for proficiency in con saves) planning to just advance in sorc from here, picking up flames of (afb so dunno the demons name)... the rerolling 1's and plus 1 cha at PC lv 6.

My conundrum here is which tradition... either to go war wizard 2 for arcane deflection for even more con save help or to go for evocation 2 for the sculpt spells.

My meta magic choices are twin and subtle (mainly twin because twin dragons breath is allowed at our table and empower will be semi covered by the feat).

Thanks in advance

Raif
2018-04-30, 08:47 AM
If you're interested in blasting - Sculpt Spells hands down. It lets you use so many evocation spells without worrying about hitting your party.

Fireball your friends? Oh, no problem for you.
Meteor Swarm? Let me drop that right on top of you too.
How about a nice cloud of Sickening Radiance that your party can safely navigate and grapple foes in them?

I can go on.

If you start sorcerer 1 you already have proficiency in Constitution saving throws and you have a +2. You can pick up Warcaster later and be pretty well set for your saving throws for your entire career in ending up with advantage on your concentration checks with a +8 to your throw at level 17, and that's without you using an ASI to maybe bump that con up. That means you pass the standard DC 10 with a 2 or higher on your roll for up to 20 damage taken.

While Arcane Deflection is really nice, it uses your reaction. If you're the party counterspeller then you want to save those reactions as they're precious.

Evocation Wizard all the way.

Twigwit
2018-04-30, 10:12 AM
Dont forget the Diviner! Getting to rig 2 d20 rolls a day is nothing to scoff at. Results as small as 11 can still save your teammates saving throws, and results as big as 9 can still wreck the enemy's. Portent is never not useful, it's just random if it's an offensive or defensive tool.

But between War and Evocation, I'd pick War. Better initative and a way to protect your concentration further is great for any full caster in any situation, sculpting your blast spells won't come up nearly as much as rolling initative and getting attacked.