PDA

View Full Version : What new barbarian totems would you want?

the_brazenburn
2018-04-30, 07:32 AM
I love the fluff for the Totem Warrior's animal spirits, and I was happy when we got Elk and Cougar (I call it that to fit the "Canadian wilderness" theme that the other animals are in) in SCAG, but I still feel like there are more options.

The ones I would most like to see are Ape (probably grappler), Snake (some poison-themed ribbons), and Fish (swim speed and water breathing). Any others?

If people want, I might try to stat these as well.

Thanks!

Waazraath
2018-04-30, 07:38 AM
I love the fluff for the Totem Warrior's animal spirits, and I was happy when we got Elk and Cougar (I call it that to fit the "Canadian wilderness" theme that the other animals are in) in SCAG, but I still feel like there are more options.

The ones I would most like to see are Ape (probably grappler), Snake (some poison-themed ribbons), and Fish (swim speed and water breathing). Any others?

If people want, I might try to stat these as well.

Thanks!

After reading your title, I thought to reply with Ape grappler, cause the game is missing a decent grappler (sub)class and Ape seems appropriate for that (though a constrictor snake could work as well). But seeing your text, I'll just add "+1, good ideas" and leave it with that :)

If we get new variants on barbarian sub classes, I'd rather see new Storm herald options, since totem already is very powerful while the storm herald is underwhelming.

Amdy_vill
2018-04-30, 07:44 AM
i would like to see something a bit magical as a totem like a draconic creature also some more water and air stuff like sharks, octopus and vulture. i find it hard to even plane a sea of sky champaign in 5e with out having more water and air options for all the classes.

nickl_2000
2018-04-30, 07:53 AM
Bull or Buffalo that gives a charge effect?
Snake for poison effects?
Cat/Panther for sneaking and stealth?
Raven/Parrot for mimicry ribbons?
Badger for Burrowing?
Bat for Blindsense?
Camel for the ability to live without food and water for periods of time?

Just a few ideas

smcmike
2018-04-30, 08:02 AM
In 3.5, the Serpent Totem got a grappler ability, and that actually makes the most sense to me. I’d like to see a Serpent Totem that gets a bonus attack against things it’s grappling at 3rd, and then a poison ability and a stealth ability later. This is thematic for a sort of creeper that sneaks up and grabs and stabs.

Ape Totem should get a climb speed at some point. At 3rd, they should get an offensive ability that emphasizes strength (as opposed to toughness for bears), but I’m not sure what. I suppose it could be grappling or shoving.

For a water barbarian, it should probably be Shark Totem, rather than just any old Fish.

I’d also be interested to see if it’s possible to open up the class a little with a Raven Totem, that emphasizes smarts instead of pure brawn.

Spacehamster
2018-04-30, 08:18 AM
An evil blood gorging demon-fueled type would be interesting.

Edit: oh misunderstood thought you were talking about what subclasses we wanted to see, um in that case maybe a shark totem?

Naanomi
2018-04-30, 08:22 AM
Mechanically there is room for a few more totems, but a lot of what is proposed is probably achievable with renaming and picking varied options among the six existing totems

the_brazenburn
2018-04-30, 09:13 AM
Mechanically there is room for a few more totems, but a lot of what is proposed is probably achievable with renaming and picking varied options among the six existing totems

I know. I just think it would be fun to homebrew a few more.

So far, it looks like there is demand for a poison and/or grappling Snake Totem, a Strength-based (maybe grappler) Ape Totem, a water-based Shark Totem, and possibly magical/intelligent Raven, charging Bull, or burrowing Badger.

I also had an idea for a stealth-based Fox or Weasel. Would anybody have interest in that, possibly combined with Badger?

Naanomi
2018-04-30, 09:43 AM
Betwen Eagle, elk, and tiger options I think ‘charger’ is well covered mechanically

Aquatic and stealthy options work as second-tier abilities; but I don’t see real obvious things to fill the other two ‘slots’

I’m not sure mechanically what a ‘smart totem’ would do, even though the concept is fine

Best bet for me mechanically would be to add a grappling totem and a thrown-weapon totem

the_brazenburn
2018-04-30, 09:47 AM
Betwen Eagle, elk, and tiger options I think ‘charger’ is well covered mechanically

Aquatic and stealthy options work as second-tier abilities; but I don’t see real obvious things to fill the other two ‘slots’

I’m not sure mechanically what a ‘smart totem’ would do, even though the concept is fine

Best bet for me mechanically would be to add a grappling totem and a thrown-weapon totem

Perhaps. But I'm considering fluff more than mechanics.

I'll probably work on homebrewing stats for the Ape totem first. Hopefully it'll be in PEACH form by Wednesday.

Ralanr
2018-04-30, 09:59 AM
If I had to ask for more totems, thematically a shark totem would be great. But mechanically I don’t know what it would give.

An obvious answer is more power in water, but that makes it super niche and even in that niche it might be better to go another route for a Barbarian.

Sariel Vailo
2018-04-30, 10:03 AM
Path of the psycho big weapon damage. Additional damage some self heal maybe. a chance for melee splash back to kill the voices psychic resistance. Something, fun for big 14th level ability.

A Fat Dragon
2018-04-30, 10:16 AM
Troll totem for perhaps self-heals

Shark for water stuff

Snake for poison and grapples

Drake(/Dragon) for intimidation and elemental stuffs

Kaliayev
2018-04-30, 10:38 AM
i would like to see something a bit magical as a totem like a draconic creature

This. A totem barbarian guided by a draconic spirit would make for some neat rping. However, I would have no clue how to balance this, relative to the bestial nature of the other totems.

Naanomi
2018-04-30, 11:44 AM
This. A totem barbarian guided by a draconic spirit would make for some neat rping. However, I would have no clue how to balance this, relative to the bestial nature of the other totems.
Elemental Resistance and Small elemental damage boost...

Then claws for unarmed damage, and maybe intimidation expertise or advantage...

Then a breath weapon

Laserlight
2018-04-30, 11:53 AM
Orca as an alternative to Shark for water, or perhaps sea lion or polar bear.

Mammoth / elephant for charge and grapple (and perhaps an effective size increase for grappling).

Fox for something more warlord-y.

Samayu
2018-04-30, 09:41 PM
I think the Berserker path could be refluffed as Shark totem.

Samayu
2018-04-30, 09:46 PM
Owl? For stealth and perception?

Mith
2018-04-30, 11:06 PM
If I had to ask for more totems, thematically a shark totem would be great. But mechanically I don’t know what it would give.

An obvious answer is more power in water, but that makes it super niche and even in that niche it might be better to go another route for a Barbarian.

I like the idea of marking and getting damage boosts against injured with low HP enemies. Think feeding frenzy. Perhaps the ability to mark enemies and more eadily move betwern injured enemies and find them.

ImproperJustice
2018-04-30, 11:17 PM
Path of the Puffin:
Cold Resistance
Swim speed
Flight Speed

Path of the Platypus:
First benefit: semi-aquatic
Second Benefit: poison barb grows on the back of one of your legs.
Third and final: Don a fedora and temporarily become a Rogue of equivalent level with all proficiencies, and advantage on attacks vs. evil scientists.

Sol
2018-04-30, 11:40 PM
Why not combine the common concepts in this thread of an aquatic and a grappling totem into the totem of the kraken?

Malifice
2018-05-01, 12:34 AM
A whirling 'dervish' type TWF Dex based Barbarian.
A 'savage' type that favors spears, clubs, loincloths and not much else.
A 'reaver' that can function as both a cool Pirate, and a damn fine Viking.

Maybe also a Barbarian pugilist type.

CircleOfTheRock
2018-05-01, 01:37 AM
A shark totem with a water-ribbon, and ‘frenzy’, Sahuagin-like abilities would be interesting.

A troll totem with self-healing abilities might be interesting, although totems are, after all, animals...

Sneakier totems, like a Fox or a Weasel totem might work okay, especially as the Barbarian is encouraged to have Dexterity as a second or third-most important stat.

An owl totem, for a focus on perception, and, perhaps, a certain amount of flight a day as well as, perhaps, a diving attack of some kind would certainly be interesting.

Spacehamster
2018-05-01, 01:39 AM
Beaver-totem could be pretty cool, rodentlike gnatled barbarian with bite attack.

samuraijaques
2018-05-01, 02:52 AM
I'll second the shark one. I played in a pirate campaign and someone had a homebrew shark totem they were playing. If I remember correctly it got a swim speed, waterbreathing, a fluff ability that let you smell blood a mile away, an extra attack against a wounded enemy or maybe bonus damage or something and then the capstone I don't recall.

It was super flavorful and totally awesome and I would love if wizards did it officially

Finback
2018-05-01, 03:49 AM
In prior editions, there was a clan for the Thunderbeasts (aka dinosaurs). iirc, one of the Uthgardt clans is still all about them. (and there was a decent novel, "Sons of Thunder" about a clan with this totem - the hero ends up wildshaping into a sauropod of sorts)

So yes, some sort of strength boost, maybe the ability to charge and trample through opponents' squares, and maybe even some sort of size-change a la the duergar?

MrStabby
2018-05-01, 04:53 AM
Spider - better climbing, some ability to entangle enemies and some poison damage. Fitting this into the current layout of the totem benefits might be hard though.

Spiritchaser
2018-05-01, 05:18 AM
Viper totem

Better first strike speed, agility, improved support for Dex or mixed Dex/Str builds and proficiency with poisons.

Ralanr
2018-05-01, 07:43 AM
I like the idea of marking and getting damage boosts against injured with low HP enemies. Think feeding frenzy. Perhaps the ability to mark enemies and more eadily move betwern injured enemies and find them.

Oh I like that. Something like not triggering AoO when moving towards targets at half health?

Naanomi
2018-05-01, 07:53 AM
An owl totem, for a focus on perception, and, perhaps, a certain amount of flight a day as well as, perhaps, a diving attack of some kind would certainly be interesting.
Mechanically isn’t that... most of what Eagle Totem does?

Oh I like that. Something like not triggering AoO when moving towards targets at half health?
Tracking if things are at half health isn’t something the system keeps much track of anymore... maybe a Collosus Hunter style damage boost against targets below full HP

Ralanr
2018-05-01, 08:48 AM
Tracking if things are at half health isn’t something the system keeps much track of anymore... maybe a Collosus Hunter style damage boost against targets below full HP

Right. Sorry, my group has a house ruled “bloodied” rule. Maybe instead of extra damage they get an ability to move up to half their speed on a reaction to any target below full HP?

the_brazenburn
2018-05-01, 09:21 AM
Ape Totem

Totem Spirit:

Your unarmed strikes deal 1d8 bludgeoning damage. While grappling an opponent, you may make an unarmed strike attack as a bonus action against them. The spirit of the ape makes you a ferocious unarmed fighter.

Aspect of the Beast:

You gain a climb speed equal to your normal speed. Climbing no longer costs you extra movement, and you gain advantage on Athletics checks for climbing things. The spirit of the ape makes you as comfortable in the trees as on the ground.

Totemic Attunement:

You have advantage on grappling checks, and your opponents have disadvantage on checks to escape your grapples. While grappling an opponent, you are not considered to be grappled yourself, and your opponent is considered to be restrained. While grappled in this way, your opponent cannot breathe and takes 3d8 bludgeoning damage each round. The spirit of the ape makes you a brutally skilled grappler.

WIP and PEACH, please! I have no idea if this is balanced.