PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder build/weapon help. need help picking a weapon and if i should take a class

Amdy_vill
2018-04-30, 08:21 AM
so i am playing a Gunslinger(Mysterious Stranger ) lv 1 Summoner(Synthesist/Blood God Disciple)lv 1 Swashbuckler(Picaroon) lv 1 and Investigator(Sleuth) lv 1. i am looking for the best light or one handed piercing weapon. i am taking the rest of my levels in summoner expend maybe one in Alchemist could i have some help. also any other tips or tricks you guy think i should use

exelsisxax
2018-05-01, 10:10 AM
Rapier. /thread

but by Vectron, why are you dipping so much?

Amdy_vill
2018-05-01, 11:09 AM
Rapier. /thread

but by Vectron, why are you dipping so much?

the dips in to the other classes are for more deeds and girt points. also some other cool class abilities that let me skip taking some feats. so rapier would be my best weapon to pick

exelsisxax
2018-05-01, 12:38 PM
the dips in to the other classes are for more deeds and girt points. also some other cool class abilities that let me skip taking some feats. so rapier would be my best weapon to pick

That seems very unlikely. Progressing your spellcasting and evolutions are objectively superior to the almost nothing that any of those dips get you. Are you aware that you never get anything but 1st level deeds with this plan? The only non-crap one i can think of that you get is parry/riposte. There's no way it is worth 3 caster class levels, even before considering the way synthesist can just evolution their way to whatever absurd numbers monster they want anyway.

Castilonium
2018-05-01, 01:17 PM
You're proficient with all martial weapons, so get a COWPIS (cracked opalescent white pyramid ioun stone) (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/h-l/ioun-stones/opalescent-white-pyramid-ioun-stone/) for 1500 gp and pick up an estoc. Put it in a wayfinder for 500 gp to get weapon focus.

grarrrg
2018-05-01, 02:17 PM
That seems very unlikely. Progressing your spellcasting and evolutions are objectively superior to the almost nothing that any of those dips get you. Are you aware that you never get anything but 1st level deeds with this plan? The only non-crap one i can think of that you get is parry/riposte. There's no way it is worth 3 caster class levels, even before considering the way synthesist can just evolution their way to whatever absurd numbers monster they want anyway.

I mostly agree with you, but...

Gunslinger (Mysterious Stranger) needs to be kept, as that is key to the whole plan, as he appears to be making a Gundolon.
Gunslinger is stupid-front-loaded, and Stranger lets you spend 1 Grit to add CHA to damage on ALL firearm attacks for the round.
A Synthesist is -mostly- SAD and can dump majority points into CHA, and can suit-up to grow a ton of Arms.
Horde of attacks at Full Bab + high CHA to damage = everything dead

He doesn't get Parry/Riposte with Swashbuckler due to archetype anyway. The main draws of Picaroon are:
*Grit and Panache stack and are mostly interchangeable, so he'd have CHAx2 for his Grit/Panache pool
*Melee Shooter Deed (replaces Parry/Riposte), lets you spend a point to not provoke AoO with _one_ ranged attack
*'Two-Weapon Finesse' effectively grants both Weapon Finesse and Two-Weapon Fighting (becomes Multi-Weapon with +arms)

At low levels the benefits are pretty solid for just one level, 2 bonus feats, large 'Grit' pool to fuel Mysterious Stranger>CHA-to-damage, and being able to melee-shoot when needed without eating an AoO.
At higher levels not so much, you should be killing often enough that your 'Grit' pool is no longer a concern, and shooting so much that the one skipped AoO from Melee Shooter isn't even noticed.
If retraining is an option, definitely swap out the Swashbuckler level at some point.

If it's not too late, I would recommend skipping Investigator(Sleuth) entirely. A 3rd 'not Grit' pool shouldn't be needed, and the other benefits are very 'meh' compared to another level of Synthesist.

exelsisxax
2018-05-01, 03:03 PM
I was convinced that a gundolon was out of the question due to the addition of swashbuckler and investigator dips, with a planned alchemist dip. They don't do much of anything. There's no benefit to extra grit when you shouldn't be running out in the first place, and getting TWF isn't worth spending a whole class level.

Yeah, it would be a strong build at level 3 - and then fall off the cliff because no class features are scaling and there's another 2 dips coming. But I guess it'd be amazing for a one-shot or micro-campaign? Like a warpriest/cleric/inquisitor at level 3. Or a summoner/druid/spiritualist miniomancer.

Amdy_vill
2018-05-02, 06:56 AM
so drop the sleuth and take the rest in summoner. ok thanks any other advice