PDA

View Full Version : Rogue-like Sorcerer

Master O'Laughs
2018-04-30, 09:07 AM
I have been toying around with ideas for my next character I play. I really like the flavor of the shadow sorcerer and thought it would be fun to create a sneaky character mage.

For races, I am thinking Half-Drow (more spells or skills, great stat boosts), Yuan-ti Pureblood (great racial abilities, more spells, possible racial penalties in social settings), or Goblin (Fury of the small, BA disengage & hide, possible racial penalties in social settings).

Background would be urchin to get proficiency in both disguise kit and thieves tools.

I was thinking at level 2 making a quick 2 level dip in warlock for agonizing blast (main damage source for awhile) and Mask of many faces.

Cantrips would be Sorcerer: Friends, Mage Hand, Message, Minor Illusion; Warlock: Eldritch Blast, Toll the Dead

I was thinking toll the dead for 2 reasons, if in melee range I won't have disadvantage, 2 if the target has a high AC I have a different defense to target.

Spell selection would look for social spells and buffs. Meta magics would most likely be Subtle and Quicken, possibly Twin.

This would be if starting from lvl 2 or higher as MCing to warlock would be tricky if not starting as the class.

I was looking at Hexblade for the Warlock MC due to the nice damage boost in their Hex, but also getting shield as a spell so I do not have to waste a sorcerer slot on it.

At Sorcerer 4 I would plan on taking Ritual Caster (wizard) to get all the ritual spells possible.

My main question I guess is how badly am I gimping myself in combat if I dip 2 levels right away?
I am hoping by focusing on social stuff it won't be as bad and eldritch blast will help offset some damage issues in combat.

EDIT: Another 2 questions, racial ability speaking, is Yuan-ti hands down the best, or can a decent argument be made for goblin or half-drow? Also, as a half-elf, am I better off just keeping the 2 skill proficiencies since Drow magic doesn't seem that great?