PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Tweaking a pyromaniac build- Celestial Warlock/Draconic Sorcerer

Mikal
2018-04-30, 09:45 AM
So I've been playing around with this idea for a while, and wanted to get others opinions on it and which way to go with it from an optimization standpoint.
The concept for it is a person in touch with the elemental power of the universe (as he sees it), fire. His bloodlines converge upon it in several ways, as does the pact he's made with otherwordly figures to increase his strength within it.

Build
Tiefling as race- Good stat bonus with Charisma +2, bonus spells which Warlock and Sorcerer can always use, and Fire Resistance
If using PB stats would be 9-14-15-10-8-17 after racial abilities added.

Celestial Warlock (Tome) and Draconic Sorcerer (Red or Gold)- Double charisma to fire, charisma to melee weapon attack and damage, radiant resistance, healing utility, and extra AC and HP. Extra utility and attack options via Tome cantrips and Book of Ancient Secret rituals.
6 levels of Warlock, 14 of Sorcerer

Elemental Adept, Flames of Phlegethos, and Infernal Constitution as feats- They shore up odd stats in Con and Charisma if rolled, or if using PB, provide the key ability to ignore Fire Resistance, boost fire spell damage, and also provide resistance to two different damage types.

Benefits
Charisma to Fire damage on spells *2- either doubled on a single roll spell (firebolt, fireball, green flame blade), or spread on multiple rolls (scorching ray, green flame blade again). Ignore Fire Resistance, increased minimum damage on Fire damage spells.
Charisma to almost all attacks, including melee weapon attack and damage with a club/quarterstaff via Shillelagh.
Resistance to Fire, Radiant, Cold, and Poison damage. Advantage on Poison saves.
At will flight
Several bonus spells and cantrips- Hellish Rebuke, Darkness, Light, Sacred Flame, Thaumaturgy
New abilities through most of the early campaign life

Cons
Lack of higher level spells known
Overlap/overkill when it comes to damage as cantrips and spells- I mentioned Firebolt as a cantrip, even though access to EB and Agonizing Blast is a thing with the build and likely to be taken as well as repelling blast for crowd control.
Several abilities are delayed until high level/end level.
3rd level spellcasting only for majority of build.
Doesn't truly come reach its peak until level 12 or 14, depending on your point of view.

Currently my thought process is to go 6 levels of Sorc, then 6 of Warlock, and finish the remaining 8 as Sorc. This will minimize the time to double Charisma to fire spells, though it does delay feats a bit.

My other thought was to go Sorc 4/Warlock 6/Sorc 10 to get the feats more quickly, though it does delay the first charisma to fire from level 6 to level 10.

Feat order I'm thinking Elemental Adept first to ignore the fire resist and boost fire minimum damage, then Flames of Phlegethos to boost Charisma, and ending with Infernal Constitution.

Unfortunately that means you don't get your full resistance until character level 14... would it be better to do it in a different order, either classes or feats?

Lord8Ball
2018-04-30, 10:59 AM
Just a recommendation, but if I were to go for the biggest power I'd pick Assimar. It would be a great race to use with this build. I'm not sure if it was the dmg or the Volos version, but one of them has access to the resistance of radiant and necrotic as well as racial spells. The advantage to using this race would be that you could do an extra radiant damage equal to your level once per turn and get resistance to fire from dragon sorc whenever it becomes necessary. Also one of them has the ability to a 1 min flight ability.

Mikal
2018-04-30, 11:21 AM
Just a recommendation, but if I were to go for the biggest power I'd pick Assimar would be a great race to use with this. I'm not sure if it was the dmg or the Volos version, but one of them has access to the resistance of radiant and necrotic as well as racial spells. The advantage to using this race would be that you could do an extra radiant damage equal to your level once per turn and get resistance to fire from dragon sorc whenever it becomes necessary. Also one of them has the ability to a 1 min flight ability.

Interesting recommendation but a few thoughts for that
1- Fire damage is a lot more common than radiant and necrotic... isn't it better to keep it always on?
2- The flip side to 1 is that there are a lot more fire spells than radiant, so while the extra radiant damage is nice... it's not as useful as the double fire damage, and there's no corresponding Elemental Adept feat for radiant either, for those rare radiant resistant creatures. Plus the fact this is a pyro build, not a sun build. Plus said radiant damage only occurs for 1 minute per long rest...
3- You already get radiant damage resistance via Celestial. Yes, you get fire from draconic, but it requires SP to do so. Wouldn't that be more redundant than going Tiefling?
4- The Aasimar spells aren't as useful for a pyro build as a tieflings I think, specifically the Hellish Rebuke.

Gydian
2018-04-30, 11:35 AM
I love aasimar. I prefer aasimar. But for this build look at tiefling Rachel feats. That make tiefling the better choice for this build.
You should put a lot of thought into which class your going to take at first. Will you be leveling war 1 sor 1 war 2 sor 2? That would be the way I would feel is most organinc to the charictor but it doesn’t make any seance in game. Maybe war 3 sor 1 war 1 sor 1 or 2 than war 2 ( war 6 now) sor for the rest.

Mikal
2018-04-30, 12:10 PM
I love aasimar. I prefer aasimar. But for this build look at tiefling Rachel feats. That make tiefling the better choice for this build.
You should put a lot of thought into which class your going to take at first. Will you be leveling war 1 sor 1 war 2 sor 2? That would be the way I would feel is most organinc to the charictor but it doesn’t make any seance in game. Maybe war 3 sor 1 war 1 sor 1 or 2 than war 2 ( war 6 now) sor for the rest.

Starting with Sorc for the save proficiency in Con. Light Armor from Warlock doesn't really matter since we're going Draconic. Story wise either class works well since he already has established his pact even if he hasn't seen benefits yet, and Draconic is due to his ancestry.