PDA

View Full Version : Twin Swords

cartejos
2018-04-30, 09:58 AM
I'm looking for one of two things and my google-fu isn't quite coming through for me. I'm either looking for a Longsword that can split into two swords (Either Short Swords, or still two Longswords), or I'm looking for a magic item that has something akin to "The wielder is treated as having the Two Weapon Fighting feat, even if they do not meet the prerequisites". If there were something that granted both, that would be phenomenal, thank you!

Darrin
2018-04-30, 11:02 AM
I'm looking for one of two things and my google-fu isn't quite coming through for me. I'm either looking for a Longsword that can split into two swords (Either Short Swords, or still two Longswords), or I'm looking for a magic item that has something akin to "The wielder is treated as having the Two Weapon Fighting feat, even if they do not meet the prerequisites". If there were something that granted both, that would be phenomenal, thank you!

Gloves of the Balanced Hand (8000 GP, MIC p. 105) gives you TWF, or if you already have TWF, Improved TWF.

As far as sword-splits-into-two-different-swords... hooked swords from Secrets of Sarlona kinda do something like that, but it's a bit wonky. Or maybe you could do something with a bastard sword that uses the Morphing property (+1 enhancement, MIC p. 39) to turn into a double-sword?

Zaq
2018-04-30, 02:13 PM
A Soulknife of the right level can split their mind blade in two. Full disclosure: the Soulknife is terrible and this ability isn’t very useful at all.

Deadline
2018-04-30, 03:10 PM
Could you achieve what you are after with Gloves of the Balance hand and a re-fluffed two-bladed sword? Mechanically, the two-bladed sword could represent specially constructed longswords that can lock together or split apart.

BowStreetRunner
2018-04-30, 04:54 PM
While bifurcated weapons are a popular TV trope, I haven't seen anything like a true bifurcated sword show up in 3.5 anywhere.

Nifft
2018-04-30, 05:14 PM
How about two short swords connected by a chain?

They would mechanically be strangely sword-shaped spikes on a spiked chain.

Then take a level of Exotic Weapon Master so you can "flurry" (which is mechanically equivalent to TWF, except better).

Plus you'll be able to do cool anime stuff like throw one of your twin swords while holding the other to strike foes 10 ft. away (mechanically just using the Reach weapon feature of the spiked chain).

You can also apply Weapon Finesse + Power Attack + Shadow Blade (a feat from ToB which adds your Dex to damage with some weapons).

When they're "merged", you just have a single two-handed weapon which deals 2d4 damage (i.e. still a regular spiked chain). You can just ignore the Finesse and Reach tags.