PDA

View Full Version : The difference between madness and genius... [PrC]

NecroRebel
2007-09-03, 11:23 PM
The difference between madness and genius is determined only by degrees of success.

Throughout history, there have been great thinkers: inventors, philosophers, mages, scientists... These brilliant men are among the names written bold in tomes of ancient history for their accomplishments, for making great leaps in the advancement of knowledge and for what this knowledge has done for the peoples of the world.

However, not every genius was respected while they yet lived. Indeed, many were laughed at, called madmen, jailed, even killed for seeking the truth. Even today, the most brilliant men are somewhat feared. After all, if they can create a medicine to cure a deadly plague- what's to stop them from making the plague itself?

The fear is even worse when the genius is a practitioner of the magic arts. Most people fear that a mage's experiments are as likely to kill everything as to save it. The fact that wizards are known as strange recluses certainly doesn't help anything, either. Who will stop the mage when he goes mad?

Worse, what if he already has?

Psychomancer

Hit Die d4

Requirements
To qualify to become a Psychomancer, you must fulfill all of the following criteria.

Alignment
Any non-lawful

Skills
Spellcraft 8 ranks, Knowledge (Arcana) 4 ranks

Spells
Able to cast 3rd-level spells

Class Skills
The wizard’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).

Skill Points at Each Level
2 + Int modifier.

Psychomancer
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Inspired Madness +1, Calm Insanity|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Arcane Madness +1, Reckless Madness +1|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Inspired Madness +2|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Arcane Madness +2|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Inspired Madness +3|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Reckless Madness +2|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Inspired Madness +4, Arcane Madness +3|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6|Reckless Dweomer|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|Inspired Madness +5|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Arcane Madness +4, Reckless Madness +3, Bound Psychosis|+1 level of existing spellcasting class [/table]

Class Features
All the following are class features of the Psychomancer prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
The Psychomancer gains no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Inspired Madness (Ex)
At 1st level and every 2 levels thereafter, the Psychomancer gains +1 Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma whenever she suffers from a confusion effect.

Calm Insanity (Su)
When under a confusion effect, a Psychomancer has a +4% chance per level of acting normally.

Arcane Madness (Su)
Starting at level 2, when under a confusion effect, a Psychomancer gains +1 caster level on all spells she casts. Every three levels after second, this bonus increases by an additional +1.

Reckless Madness (Su)
Starting at level 2, whenever a Psychomancer is frightened she attacks the source of her fear using any means available (instead of fleeing from it). She does still suffer other penalties that the frightened condition inflicts; she simply is driven to attack rather than flee. Further, she gains +1 caster level on all spells she casts. Every four levels after second, this bonus increases by an additional +1.

Whenever a Psychomancer would become panicked, she instead becomes confused for the same duration she would otherwise be panicked.

Reckless Dweomer (Sp)
Starting at level 8, a Psychomancer may expend an unused spell slot and choose a spell of equal or lower level. She then rolls 1d100 to determine the effect of the Reckless Dweomer.

{table=head]Roll|Result

1-30|Chosen spell is resolved normally

31-50|A spell of the same level and school of the chosen spell (DM’s choice) is resolved on the same target if legal. Otherwise, the Reckless Dweomer does nothing.

51-70|A spell of the same school 1d4 levels below the chosen spell (DM’s choice) is resolved on the same target if legal. If there are no spells of the chosen school on that spell level or if the target is not legal for the spell, the Reckless Dweomer does nothing.

71-80|A different spell of the same level as the chosen spell (DM’s choice) is resolved on the same target if legal. Otherwise, the Psychomancer takes 4D6 damage.

81-90|A different spell 1d4 levels below the chosen spell (DM’s choice) is resolved on the same target if legal. If there are no spells on that spell level or if the target is not legal for the spell, the Psychomancer takes 4D6 damage.

91-99|A random creature is called to the Psychomancer’s location. This creature is always of the Chaotic subtype and has 4d12 Hit Dice. It may or may not be hostile to any or all creatures in the area, including the Psychomancer. The Psychomancer has no magical control over the creature; if she wishes to control its actions, she must use other magic or diplomacy.

00|All creatures within 25 feet of the Psychomancer, including the Psychomancer herself, must make a successful Fortitude save (DC 10+1/2 Psychomancer class level+Psychomancer’s Cha modifier) or die instantly[/table]

Bound Psychosis (Ex)
Starting at tenth level, the Psychomancer may, as a standard action, inflict the confusion effect upon herself. This effect lasts until the Psychomancer uses a standard action to dismiss it; note that the Psychomancer cannot dismiss this effect unless she is able to act normally during the confusion effect.

Further, the Psychomancer may dismiss any effect that causes her to become confused in the same manner. Effects removed in this manner are treated as if Dispelled.

My thoughts on this PrC:
First off, please realize that this is my first attempt at a homebrew. I think it came out pretty well, and is probably fairly balanced, but I leave that to more experienced players, DMs, and homebrewers to decide.

I came up with the class after realizing that although I had seen some pretty crazy stuff on these forums during my lurking times, I've not seen anything that actually used insanity as the source of its power. So, I decided to make it myself. A class that quite literally drives itself crazy to become a more powerful mage... Who'd expect that?:smallamused:

As for development, initially I was going to have Inspired Madness give +1 Int, Wis, and Cha every class level, and Arcane Madness +1 caster level every 2 class levels, but then I decided that was too powerful and toned it down. This also allowed me to split the class features up over the whole progression so you get something every level, while still including everything I thought I wanted to.

As far as balance goes, I figured that +2-3 to spell DCs and up to +7 caster levels at level 15 wasn't too terribly bad, particularly since you would have to be both confused and frightened to manage that. It makes your character vastly more powerful, certainly, but also more than a little difficult to control since you literally act at random. The level 8 ability to have a chance to cast any spell probably isn't too bad given that it has a chance of killing you outright or summoning a big nasty (with up to 48 HD!), and the capstone power of driving yourself mad is almost necessary for something relying on selfconfusion so much.

Regardless, that's my thoughts on things... So, what do people think? Need more fluff, less or more powerful abilities, more fun tricks, any changes in format, whatever? I'm up for any ideas for what a mad mage could do.

Oh, and could someone suggest some names? I never seem to like the names I come up with for things.:smallredface:

Draken
2007-09-04, 12:16 AM
It looks fun to play, But tell me, what do you think of ading the hability to confuse Others, Like, le tme see... A touch attack with the effect of the Confusion spell, useable 1/2 levels (or 1/4 levels) caping with the power to spend 2 uses of the touch attack to deliver an Insanity spell to the target instead.

And obviously, that skill wouldn't be able to be used on itself.

It would add to the fun, spread the madness.

Zeta Kai
2007-09-04, 05:35 AM
This is a nicely balanced class with a great concept & fairly solid execution. I agree with Draken that an offensive confusion/insanity effect would be fitting & even expected. Also more fluff would be nice. Overall though the mechanics seem sound, so I give it a thumbs up.

Oddly though, I see that the 10th level BAB & saving throws are missing. I can only assume that they are +5, +3, +3, & +7 respectively.

mockingbyrd7
2007-09-04, 12:13 PM
Hmm... even though the Arcane Madness, Inspired Madness, etc. etc. fills a slot every level, there are a lot of dead levels where nothing happens except higher bonuses on that stuff. I don't like how he has a 4% chance of acting normally under a confusion effect, and relies upon that for most of his abilities. Also, there are so many complications (DM's choice stuff with the Dweomer, a 4% chance of resisting confusion, etc. etc.) that it would give the DM hell.

Overall, this is a VERY cool idea but I think it could have been executed better. A solid first try, and keep it up. (Not that I've homebrewed much either, haha.)

psychoticbarber
2007-09-04, 12:33 PM
I don't like the alignment restriction. To me, the inspired madman can be lawful. Think of characters like Moriarty. I think Moriarty is fairly lawful evil. (Law as order, rather than "I follow the laws!")

Other than that, it's pretty sweet :smallbiggrin:

NecroRebel
2007-09-04, 02:25 PM
Thanks, everyone :smallbiggrin:

For the ability to confuse others... I'd agree, that would be both useful and would fit with the flavor of the class. Adding a confusing touch attack would also fill up some of the mostly-dead levels mockingbyrd was complaining about. Maybe add it in at level 3? And would it be better as a touch attack or a spell-like ability?

I had thought I had filled the table in completely, but I guess I screwed up. Fixed now, though.

Um. The alignment restriction is just there because most people see Lawfuls as more "sane" than non-Lawfuls (despite the fact that among humans a Lawful character is just as deviant as a Chaotic), so I put in the restriction so people wouldn't complain about crazy Lawful people. I'm not opposed to removing it.

Hmm... even though the Arcane Madness, Inspired Madness, etc. etc. fills a slot every level, there are a lot of dead levels where nothing happens except higher bonuses on that stuff. I don't like how he has a 4% chance of acting normally under a confusion effect, and relies upon that for most of his abilities. Also, there are so many complications (DM's choice stuff with the Dweomer, a 4% chance of resisting confusion, etc. etc.) that it would give the DM hell.

The mostly-dead levels are one reason why I asked for suggestions as to what other abilities to add. I agree, having the only benefit of a level up being some higher bonuses isn't quite as tasty as getting new special abilities.

Do note that you normally have a 10% chance of acting normally under a confusion effect (a roll of 11-20). Further, I felt that, since the class gains virtually no benefit while NOT confused, it would just suck if you mostly just acted randomly, which is why I gave the class an additional 4% chance per level of acting normally. If it would help to clarify how to adjudicate this, please let me know.

And for the Reckless Dweomer ability, at first I wanted to make it so that the spells on a roll of 31-90 were random, but I didn't know how to do something like that without making another excessively-long table. I'm too lazy:smalltongue:

I'll probably add more flavor to the class and abilities when I have more time.

blue_fenix
2007-09-04, 04:56 PM
I would add one requirement - must have experienced the effects of a Confusion spell on himself or similar effect. The only reason being to prevent every arcane caster from qualifying automatically.

psychoticbarber
2007-09-04, 05:13 PM
Do note that you normally have a 10% chance of acting normally under a confusion effect (a roll of 11-20).

You know that 11-20 is a 50% chance, yes?

blue_fenix
2007-09-04, 05:17 PM
You know that 11-20 is a 50% chance, yes?

the confusion roll is a d%, 11-20 out of 00-99.

psychoticbarber
2007-09-04, 05:17 PM
the confusion roll is a d%, 11-20 out of 00-99.

:smallredface: Heh heh...ummm...hey look, a distraction! *points, then runs*