PDA

View Full Version : AL build help

HolyDraconus
2018-04-30, 04:12 PM
To make this extremely short, a player in our group gets to play something they never had in 4 years of AL: a paladin. We saw the guide, and didn't know if it can help his character since he's a yuan-ti. He's poised to hit 18 cha and 16 str at lvl 4, with res: con buffing him to 16 con on the next asi but since it's AL he can remake his character, and he was wondering if what he has is sufficient going forward. However, he's keeping the race (since everyone seems to have forgotten that the book exists since Xanathar's). Pointers? Tips? He's optimizing if that matters, since the race is the flavor.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-04-30, 05:11 PM
So 15,8,15,8,8,17 with point buy? The only real problem with the stat array is that 2 out of the big three saves are not great though that becomes way less of an issue with a Paladin thanks to the level six ability.

Edit: forgot about the PHB+1 rule In that case I'd go ancients, it will help with controlling the battlefield better and make him basically immune to spellcasters.

It's fairly obvious that this will be a heavy armor based Pally, Personally I'd go sword and board with the Defense fighting style. 19 AC in Chain Armor or 20 if you can grab splint.

As for the level 8 ASI would he rather have a +1 to every save for himself and his team plus raising his Save DC or would he rather have a +3 to Con Saves and an extra 8 HP?

Saves with 20 CHR +8,+4,+7,+4,+7,+13
Saves with res con +7,+3,+10,+3,+6,+11

HolyDraconus
2018-04-30, 05:18 PM
So 15,8,15,8,8,17 with point buy? The only real problem with the stat array is that 2 out of the big three saves are not great though that becomes way less of an issue with a Paladin thanks to the level six ability.

With that Race choice I would personally go with the oath of Conquest as it matches the race a little better and that oath is very dependent on your spellcasting modifier.

It's fairly obvious that this will be a heavy armor based Pally, Personally I'd go sword and board with the Defense fighting style. 19 AC in Chain Armor or 20 if you can grab splint.

As for the level 8 ASI would he rather have a +1 to every save for himself and his team plus raising his Save DC or would he rather have a +10 to Con Saves and an extra 8 HP?

As a pally, he wasn't sure a 14 was good enough to frontline or if con saves was needed. Tho going 20 at 8 sounds appealing.

It's AL: he can't go Conquest.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-04-30, 05:43 PM
As a pally, he wasn't sure a 14 was good enough to frontline or if con saves was needed. Tho going 20 at 8 sounds appealing.

It's AL: he can't go Conquest.

I had forgotten about the phb+1 thing, Ancients would be my other recommendation.

as for the level 8 asi.
HP: 68 vs. 76
Concentration check against low damage 90% vs. 100%
+7 vs. +10

He has advantage on Magic saving throws and resistance to the damage from spells that plus the insane bonus's to most of his saving throws means that he probably won't take a ton of damage from magical effects since he has a high chance of saving against them anyway.

One other thing that might come into play, He's immune to poison which I believe is always a constitution saving throw so some of the things you need con for just don't apply.

----Edit because I'm bored and wanted to see how much of a difference it would against a CR relevant creature.----

Against a CR9 young blue dragon he has to make 16DC dex saving throw, Which he has advantage on and a +4 modifier with 20 charisma. He has a 74% chance of making that roll. ~67% chance if he went with resilient Con.

Assuming a success his concentration check would be a DC13 75% chance of success with CHR20 and 90% with Resilient Con.

If we assume a failure the DC moves to a DC26 10% chance of success with CHR20 and 25% with Resilient Con.

HolyDraconus
2018-04-30, 06:13 PM
I had forgotten about the phb+1 thing, Ancients would be my other recommendation.

as for the level 8 asi.
HP: 68 vs. 76
Concentration check against low damage 90% vs. 100%
+7 vs. +10

He has advantage on Magic saving throws and resistance to the damage from spells that plus the insane bonus's to most of his saving throws means that he probably won't take a ton of damage from magical effects since he has a high chance of saving against them anyway.

One other thing that might come into play, He's immune to poison which I believe is always a constitution saving throw so some of the things you need con for just don't apply.

----Edit because I'm bored and wanted to see how much of a difference it would against a CR relevant creature.----

Against a CR9 young blue dragon he has to make 16DC dex saving throw, Which he has advantage on and a +4 modifier with 20 charisma. He has a 74% chance of making that roll. ~67% chance if he went with resilient Con.

Assuming a success his concentration check would be a DC13 75% chance of success with CHR20 and 90% with Resilient Con.

If we assume a failure the DC moves to a DC26 10% chance of success with CHR20 and 25% with Resilient Con.

Breath weapons from dragons aren't magic. Where is the advantage coming from?

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-04-30, 06:23 PM
Breath weapons from dragons aren't magic. Where is the advantage coming from?

Dragon breath isn't a spell but I'm pretty sure it's a magical effect. I could be wrong though. Turns out I'm wrong, the more you know.

sithlordnergal
2018-04-30, 06:32 PM
Have him go Oath of the Ancients, that will net him several powerful buffs and will blend well with his resistance to magical effects. As for stats, I generally go with a strength of 16, max charisma, and at least 14 Con. 16 Con is a good goal, but not needed till later.

If he does go Ancients, he should grab the +1 to defense fighting style. A +1 may not seem like much at first, but one he starts buffing himself with things like Shield of Faith, +1 shields, ect.

Also, he should think about going Sorcerer eventually. While he won't have Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade, it is still a powerful option that gives him spells like Shield, eventually Haste, and cantrips like Chill Touch and Firebolt.

HolyDraconus
2018-04-30, 11:56 PM
Have him go Oath of the Ancients, that will net him several powerful buffs and will blend well with his resistance to magical effects. As for stats, I generally go with a strength of 16, max charisma, and at least 14 Con. 16 Con is a good goal, but not needed till later.

If he does go Ancients, he should grab the +1 to defense fighting style. A +1 may not seem like much at first, but one he starts buffing himself with things like Shield of Faith, +1 shields, ect.

Also, he should think about going Sorcerer eventually. While he won't have Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade, it is still a powerful option that gives him spells like Shield, eventually Haste, and cantrips like Chill Touch and Firebolt.

The magic buff seems good but the speak with animals is useless to him. So bad in fact that we didn't think the magic buff can shore it up. Coupled with ensnaring strike being eh, we wasn't sure if ancients was the best for an AL Yuan-ti. To be fair, we thought it would be between vengeance and ancients. Devotion not being in the running cause evil snake man being duh. Tho we can drop con to 14 and up wisdom to 10...hmmm or dex.. Which to choose...

sophontteks
2018-05-01, 12:30 AM
The entire party has magic resistance as long as they are near the paladin. Advantage vs. any spell or spell-like effect.
How does that weigh vs. a couple mediocre spells?
Really, really well!

Paladin spell slots are mostly smite fodder anyway.