PDA

View Full Version : If you guys could live in any of the D&D planes which plane would you rather live?

S@tanicoaldo
2018-04-30, 04:33 PM
As an idealized version of yourself (Your personality and mind but with all the abilities, spells, feats, apparence or abilities a D&D character could have) which plane on the D&D universe and similar settings (Pathfinder for exemple) would you rather live and why.

InvisibleBison
2018-04-30, 04:38 PM
I'd go for the 3.5 Astral Plane. Subjective directional gravity and timeless with respect to aging are great!

JoeJ
2018-04-30, 05:30 PM
Actually me, I'd enormously prefer an alternate Prime Material plane that has cars and electricity and no monsters that I can't kill with bullets. Avatar of me, regular Prime Material plane, somewhere in Wildspace.

Mastikator
2018-04-30, 05:35 PM
Elysium seems pretty chill and comfortable to me.

Honest Tiefling
2018-04-30, 05:39 PM
My first impulse is one of the prime materials to live a nice and quiet life, but I think those might have more wars, plagues, and demon-summoning going on than your average aligned plane.

Then again, Greyhawk is never going to get an update, so it must be nice and quiet. Can't have world changing events for edition changes if you never get one!

ZamielVanWeber
2018-04-30, 07:59 PM
Elysium or, if I can get into the Court of Stars, Arborea.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-05-01, 01:04 AM
Some part of me wants to say Ysgard but I think I'm probably too lawful for that anymore. If I'm assessing my alignment honestly, I'm probably headed for Arcadia, Celestia, or Bytopia. Of the three, I'd prefer Bytopia but I'm still probably more lawful than good.

Of course, living in Sigil could be pretty cool. Not the safest place in the multiverse to live but all the conveniences of big city life and access to all the multiverse has to offer if you're willing to look and take a little risk, either financial or otherwise. That's the outlands, btw, not that it matters with sigil being the only thing of note on the plane.

BWR
2018-05-01, 01:51 AM
My own little demiplane in the Ethereal, tailored to my tastes. A nice place I can be alone and only venture out rarely to meet people, with chances of intrusive encounters being small.
Failing that, Elysium. Perfect balance between order and chaos, nice neighbors, and being a generally pleasant place.

gkathellar
2018-05-01, 06:23 AM
All the best parties happen in Pandemonium.

Celestia
2018-05-01, 07:58 AM
One of the upper planes seems nice and peaceful, and angels are hot, right? I don't know how many other planes have date worthy material.

Pex
2018-05-01, 08:07 AM
Mount Celestia. Harmonius paradise.

Honest Tiefling
2018-05-01, 09:46 AM
One of the upper planes seems nice and peaceful, and angels are hot, right? I don't know how many other planes have date worthy material.

Hot yes, but dull. Not to mention stiff competition and a vast age difference.

GentlemanVoodoo
2018-05-01, 12:15 PM
I forget the exact plan but there was a series of adventure modules that took place in a hollow earth style setting. Or the shadow planes as described from 4th edition.

Mr Beer
2018-05-01, 07:56 PM
Probably a Chaotic Good aligned Outer Plane - great landscape on a vast scale and fun stuff happening without having to deal with slaad or demons on a daily basis.

If not that, some alternate Prime Material plane. In fact one which is exactly the same as this one plus I have all the D&D abilities I want sounds pretty sweet.

Quertus
2018-05-01, 08:17 PM
As an idealized version of yourself (Your personality and mind but with all the abilities, spells, feats, apparence or abilities a D&D character could have) which plane on the D&D universe and similar settings (Pathfinder for exemple) would you rather live and why.

My first impulse is one of the prime materials to live a nice and quiet life, but I think those might have more wars, plagues, and demon-summoning going on than your average aligned plane.

Then again, Greyhawk is never going to get an update, so it must be nice and quiet. Can't have world changing events for edition changes if you never get one!

Well, see, some of my homebrew worlds are never getting an update past 2e, so, really, that'd be my first choice.

If I could get their permission first, there's a few deities who I'd be willing to slum with.

Barring that, there's a few custom demiplanes that might be fun.

Barring that, there's some 2e-specific planes that would be good, if this idealized me was "high enough level" to survive them.

Barring that, honestly, the eternal war of Ysgard has its appeal...

Celestia
2018-05-02, 12:27 AM
Age is just a number. I'm sure they won't mind if I'm a few thousand years younger than them.

khadgar567
2018-05-02, 01:59 AM
midnight isles will be my pick

Cespenar
2018-05-02, 07:59 AM
I think a more challenging one would be "Which non-good plane would you pick?"

Sigil would be a strong contender.

Otherwise, one of the "tamer" realms within Mechanus also seem manageable. Maybe find one that focuses more on science and less on enforcement.

Quertus
2018-05-02, 08:34 AM

Age is just a number. I'm sure they won't mind if I'm a few thousand years younger than them.

Don't forget, they're a part of the plane. They could literally be born yesterday.

midnight isles will be my pick

I'm not familiar. Why do you pick Midnight Isles?

... Which means it behooves me to explain my "why", too. :smallredface:

So, my prime material worlds do not follow narrative casualty - they're Combat as War. That is, what's there is what's there, regardless of what level my idealized self is. So, after a certain point, I can feel secure that the universe isn't going to force me to deal with things above - or even at - my pay grade. The scenery should be fairly nice, and, in theory, I already know the lay of the land (both literally and figuratively / metaphorically). Plus, some of my and my friends' characters live there.

"Slumming with deities" is great for (mutual) protection, and, in some cases, the perks are rather nice.

But perhaps not as nice as on the elemental plane of joy. And there's plenty of realms where my knowledge would give me a marked advantage.

A friend of mine described Pokemon as creatures with no voice being enslaved and forced to fight. Funny thing is, with the immortality that comes with it, even being a petitioner on Ysgard doesn't sound too bad to me.

But I might consider adding 3e's Dream Realm to my list of possible homes.

I think a more challenging one would be "Which non-good plane would you pick?"

Sigil would be a strong contender.

Otherwise, one of the "tamer" realms within Mechanus also seem manageable. Maybe find one that focuses more on science and less on enforcement.

Sigil? Really? Did it get noticeably saner and more survivable in 3e? Because, IIRC, the example of the local law enforcement had them condone murder, but execute people for mispronounciations. :smalleek:

Cespenar
2018-05-02, 08:55 AM
Sigil? Really? Did it get noticeably saner and more survivable in 3e? Because, IIRC, the example of the local law enforcement had them condone murder, but execute people for mispronounciations. :smalleek:

That's probably a fringe case or an in-joke for the Harmonium. Sigil is, in heart, the ur-metropolis, which comes with all the advantages and disadvantages you can think of.

Also, see my caveat. I said from the "non-good" planes would be a better/harder question. Any contenders to Sigil then could only come from Mechanus or Limbo, which are also problematic in their own regard.

Clistenes
2018-05-02, 09:01 AM
Elysium seems pretty chill and comfortable to me.

I would pick Elysium too, but only if I could make myself immune to its entrapping trait...

I would visit Mount Celestia, Bytopia and Arcadia quite often too.

S@tanicoaldo
2018-05-02, 10:20 AM
I think a more challenging one would be "Which non-good plane would you pick?

Indeed, gosh you guys are boring.

I would pick Limbo, which Btw terrible name for a realm of chaos, since limbo kind of sounds like a dull and boring waiting place.

But anyway, colors, freedom fractals, chaos and all possibilities a high wis character could want? Without all the boring parts of the paradises? With all the possibilities in the world? That sounds like the best to be :D

Quertus
2018-05-02, 11:10 AM
Also, see my caveat. I said from the "non-good" planes would be a better/harder question. Any contenders to Sigil then could only come from Mechanus or Limbo, which are also problematic in their own regard.

Or the astral, ethereal, prime material, elemental, quasi-elemental, or "other".

Potato_Priest
2018-05-02, 11:14 AM
Definitely the Beastlands for me. Arborea sounds nice, but I don't like the idea of nature spirits everywhere telling me what to do. I'm not a particularly skilled hunter now, but an idealized version of me would enjoy the beastlands very much.

Mastikator
2018-05-02, 04:15 PM

If I get to choose between perfect paradise and crummy hellhole why oh why would I not pick perfect paradise?

Thaumic
2018-05-02, 05:11 PM
I think I'd pick Bytopia; from what I know, it's got all the safety and consistency of Mount Celestia without the "holy smiting" vibe. That said, an out-of-the-way spot in the Feywild or Elemental Plane of Water could be just as good.

NecroDancer
2018-05-02, 05:51 PM
I'm excluding good aligned planes for a challenge.

Sigil is probably my choice of plane. It isn't the safest but it would provide a variety of options for entertainment.

I'd also pick the Abyss if only to attend Graz'zt's legendary parties.

Limbo could also be very enjoyable if I'm able to hang out with the Gith and shape raw chaos, I'd have to get vaccinated against Slaad infection.

Bohandas
2018-05-03, 01:16 AM
Probably Asgard

Cespenar
2018-05-03, 02:32 AM
Or the astral, ethereal, prime material, elemental, quasi-elemental, or "other".

I meant preferably. None of those other than the prime material seem sensible to live in for a long enough time, in my opinion.

I would pick Limbo, which Btw terrible name for a realm of chaos, since limbo kind of sounds like a dull and boring waiting place.

But anyway, colors, freedom fractals, chaos and all possibilities a high wis character could want? Without all the boring parts of the paradises? With all the possibilities in the world? That sounds like the best to be :D

Right? Mechanus might be a safer choice, but Limbo sure would be interesting.

Some other divisive questions would be:

Arcadia or Ysgard?
Acheron or Pandemonium?

And the crown jewel:
Baator vs. Gehenna vs. Gray Wastes vs. Carceri vs. Nine Hells.

Personally, I think Arcadia, Pandemonium, and Carceri?

khadgar567
2018-05-03, 02:40 AM
I'm not familiar. Why do you pick Midnight Isles?

Its from pathfinder. Plane of local demon lord of sex. And why i choose is more due i am sick of material plane politics and sin of lust have a special place in my hearth.

gkathellar
2018-05-03, 04:49 AM

Try Mechanus! Just look at these chiseled bods:

http://pro.bols.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Modron-5e.jpg

Yum. Or Limbo:

http://monsterbook.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Slaad.jpg

How do you say, "yes, please," in banana television racing through the snow on a one horse open flarp?

Maybe Neutral Evil's more your speed? Get ready for the 2e cheesecake:

https://1d4chan.org/images/thumb/9/95/Yugoloths.png/400px-Yugoloths.png

Is it hot in here, or is that just the plane?

... yeah somehow I think you're safe sticking to the Upper Planes. I mean they have some animal-people and if you date an Eladrin their true form is an amorphous cloud of energy, but it's cool if that's what you're into.

... I'll bite. Why are angels dull?

That's probably a fringe case or an in-joke for the Harmonium. Sigil is, in heart, the ur-metropolis, which comes with all the advantages and disadvantages you can think of.

Sigil is Victorian London with significantly more insanity, and how safe it is depends entirely on where you are and who you're friends with.

I mean if we're not confined to Outer Planes, Air and Earth are both pretty comfortable. Water, too, if you can breathe the stuff.

If I get to choose between perfect paradise and crummy hellhole why oh why would I not pick perfect paradise?

Hey man, Baator may be hell, but it's not crummy. It's very well-maintained and up to the latest building and on-fire codes.

S@tanicoaldo
2018-05-03, 09:10 AM
Aren't angels in D&D green skinned? And bald? I mena sure that may be you thing I'm not judging you or anything but... Are you aware of that?

Goaty14
2018-05-03, 10:00 AM
Aren't angels in D&D green skinned? And bald? I mena sure that may be you thing I'm not judging you or anything but... Are you aware of that?

Planetars, yes, but not much else, no. On the other hand, I heard that the upper planes are mostly filled with Lantern Archons, so competition must be tight.

Bald people exist is real life too, so I don't see what's all so different.

Honest Tiefling
2018-05-03, 10:07 AM

This is the internet. Why would this stop anyone?

I mean, I am pretty sure that if a young Charlotte Gercke shaved off her hair while wearing the green make-up, few people interested in ladies would complain.

2D8HP
2018-05-03, 10:41 AM
Oh I suppose that

Arborea (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arborea_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons))

or

Elysium (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elysium_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons))

would be nice, but I'd be unlikely to get there, as what I'd seek would be (in order):

A tavern

A library

and

maybe an archery range

Lankhmar (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lankhmar_%E2%80%93_City_of_Adventure)

would probably be the most like where I am now.

Oh.

I also like bicycles, so perhaps

Gothic Earth (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masque_of_the_Red_Death_(Ravenloft))?

(Yes, I realize that a Ravenloft setting may not otherwise be ideal, but one must choose their battles)

Really?

That's AWESOME!

I may change my vote then

Charlotte Gercke...

Thank you so much for a Trek reference!

Forget D&D, I'm going with The Federation!

S@tanicoaldo
2018-05-03, 12:49 PM
OMG What happened to your face?

2D8HP
2018-05-03, 01:00 PM
OMG What happened to your face?

Honest Tiefling kindly gifted me with a snazzy new Avatar

http://i.imgur.com/fsjcfap.png

that's less pasty and more cheerful than my old one

http://www.giantitp.com/avatars/mobile/RangerGuy.gif

S@tanicoaldo
2018-05-03, 01:36 PM
Honest Tiefling kindly gifted me with a snazzy new Avatar

http://i.imgur.com/fsjcfap.png

that's less pasty and more cheerful than my old one

http://www.giantitp.com/avatars/mobile/RangerGuy.gif

It looks great. But it'll take me while to get used to xD

It's good. Every time I saw someone using that avatar I asumed it was you. :D

2D8HP
2018-05-03, 01:42 PM

It's good. Every time I saw someobe using that avatar I asumed it was you. :D

:cool:

A downside (for me) and a plus side (for most everyone else) is I may have to be less ranty in order to live up to it.

Honest Tiefling
2018-05-03, 06:02 PM

It's good. Every time I saw someone using that avatar I asumed it was you. :D

Now you know why he got the avatar. Sometimes I get people mixed up.

Also, a free trip to Ravenloft is EXACTLY when you should pick your battles. I think literally any setting would be better than that one, even some of the lower planes because you could hopefully hitchhike with some invading celestials.

2D8HP
2018-05-03, 06:22 PM
a free trip to Ravenloft is EXACTLY when you should pick your battles. I think literally any setting would be better than that one, even some of the lower planes because you could hopefully hitchhike with some invading celestials.

So don't go dark and scary 1890's Gothic Earth?

Well there goes my plans for sportin' a big handlebar 'stache!

Greyhawk is never going to get an update, so it must be nice and quiet. Can't have world changing events for edition changes if you never get one!

You make a convincing case.

If not Lankhmar (or the Federation!) Greyhawk it is!

Bohandas
2018-05-05, 12:38 AM
I meant preferably. None of those other than the prime material seem sensible to live in for a long enough time, in my opinion.

Right? Mechanus might be a safer choice, but Limbo sure would be interesting.

Some other divisive questions would be:

Arcadia or Ysgard?

It's worth noting that Asgard is probably the safest plane of them all in the great wheel cosmology given that it's difficult to kill anyone permanently there.

Sigil is Victorian London with significantly more insanity, and how safe it is depends entirely on where you are and who you're friends with.

Or like of New York City was 1/16th as big but was somehow just as crowded and twice as inexplicably self-important, and was also run entirely by a coalition of deranged cults and weird secret societies

The ur-metropolis can't cover the non-tourist population of Vegas. Nor the population of imperial Rome (as in just the city, not including the territories they controlled). The best I can give it is that it (appropriately enough) tops the population of Ur, but then again so does the suburb where I grew up.

oxybe
2018-05-05, 01:19 AM
As an Idealized high level D&D character?

Domain of Dread: Barovia.

Most of the Barovian threats are dangerous... to a low-mid level character or particularly unaware high-level one. Some 5th level werewolf VS a high level me is not something I really need to mind much.

Plus, I'm not the target of the Darklords' torment: that's Strahd.

Any of the "I'mma live in [end-game location]" answers include the caveat that you're a big fish in a pond full of other big fish and even bigger fishes. Last thing I want to do is accidentally run afoul a couple Balors, Solars or Inevitables.

Naw man. To use a videogame reference, the comfiest place for a level 77 Cloud Strife to retire isn't by the crater where Sephiroth is hiding, but Kalm: the inns are cheap and comfy, the food is warm & tasty and the chocobo ranch is nearby if I want to travel and the strongest threats in the area are harmless to you.

It's not perfect, but there's likely going to be something that happens with enough frequency to keep me busy and occupied without putting me into any significant danger, and since the domain is managed by the Dark Lords as a prison as long as I don't shake the boat too much, but rather every so often I just play a song to the tune of the Darklords' beat and keep my jailers entertained, they'll likely not pay much attention to me, yet they still provide enough resources to Barovia to keep it functional, as it's Strahd's prison.

But for the most part, as a high level PC i'm in a rather safe area: I'm not stuck with the dangerous things, they're stuck with me, and since they need people around for Strahd to Lord over, they give the area enough resources. If that means investigating who tore up Farmer John into sashimi or snuffing out a couple of upstart vamps i'm fine with that: it'll keep me busy if i do the Van Richten thing as a side project.

Xuc Xac
2018-05-05, 04:03 AM
Ain't no material plane like a prime material plane.

Grek
2018-05-05, 04:25 AM
How has nobody picked Air yet? An endless sky, genie estates to hobnob at and giant birds all over the place. That's the plan for me.

JoeJ
2018-05-08, 02:04 AM
Green Fields, on the third layer of Mount Celestia, sounds like an awesome place to retire.

Karmea
2018-05-08, 09:23 AM
If I gotta start at low level, upper planes are probably the safest bet.

Not Elysium, I'm leery of any brainwashy memory-erasing effects. Nor Arcadia, the plane of well-intentioned extremists... Ysgard is probably too fighty for me, even if the true rez is neat. Beastlands is downright terrifying. Celestia has too many unpleasant RL religious undertones for me to find it even remotely appealing.

That leaves Bytopia and Arborea. Both are decent, but I think I'll take Arborea. I'd rather be an elf than a gnome :smallwink:

High level, go Sigil.

Bohandas
2018-06-09, 12:54 PM
Somewhere between the Beastlands and the Abyss, inclusive. Although most likely, as I said before, Asgard.

Nifft
2018-06-09, 03:47 PM

Okay, question just for you S@tanicoaldo.

You can be rich and healthy, or you can be poor and sick.

Which disease do you want?

Acanous
2018-06-09, 09:34 PM
Wow, 3 people picking the Abyss now.

High level character, infinite abyss, you can make your own layer and go to all the best parties.

That or maybe Eberron. Nobody else is even remotely high level and the tech is nice.

WindStruck
2018-06-10, 02:56 AM
I think I'd choose Thelanis. Because faeries.

khadgar567
2018-06-10, 01:37 PM
you know after going a layer in haven for a mission in pathfinder i am glad i choosed midnight isles since i take demons every day instead of hour with angel of any cr.