PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 What happens when a Crusdaer gets knocked out?

Aotrs Commander
2018-04-30, 04:49 PM
Question that arose today, due to the bloody mess made of the Dwarf Crusader by the attacking dragon1...

What happens to the Crusader (or indeed, any adept) when they get knocked out? (Aside from the obvious in "has to stand up and restart stance.)

Specifically, do they retain the expended maneuvers, just like casters and spells (reasonable), do they reset to start-of-combat defaults? What about the Crusader specifically? Does their manuevre granting cycle continue, halt, or also get reset to start-of-combat default (i.e. shuffle and draw two)?

One of my other players who has played a Crusader before said we'd done as as set to start-of-combat, but I thought I might as well ask.

1As it happens, thanks to his damage pool and healing stance, he ended the round at 0 and the archivist managed to slap a cure spell on him before it actually happened, but the question remains for next time (possible next round next session!)

Kayblis
2018-04-30, 08:32 PM
Being knocked out doesn't reset anything. You don't "leave combat" when you recieve the Disabled or Dying conditions, you can still be hit and killed with attacks and a coup de grace. I'd say the character still has its expended maneuvers used and can assume his stance as a swift action as usual, because he's coming from a disabled/dying state. For a Crusader, it's up to you. For me, stopping the cycle when the character gets knocked out is good enough, then resume it if he gets up.

Nifft
2018-04-30, 10:14 PM
Yeah I also just pause the divine inspiration cycle while you're unable to receive flashes of divine inspiration (due to being unconscious and/or dead).

You would reset your granted maneuvers by any means that would grant you a new Initiative roll, but I think being temporarily unconscious doesn't do that. You could teleport away (i.e. leave the encounter's area), do something not measured in rounds, and then teleport back to the combat... that might get you a fresh Initiative roll, assuming the combat lasted long enough.

Your Stance goes away when you fall down, of course.

BowStreetRunner
2018-05-01, 09:38 AM
Unconscious (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#unconscious) doesn't reset anything. It's death that generally causes a reset for spellcasters. (When spellcasters die, all prepared spells stored in their mind are wiped away. RC 73) There is no official rule stating the same applies to maneuvers and stances though, so it's going to depend on your DM whether even death causes these to reset.

hamishspence
2018-05-01, 09:43 AM
Your Stance goes away when you fall down, of course.

ToB doesn't actually say that. Though in the case of Stone Dragon, which specifically requires contact with the ground, a case could be made that your stance goes away when you leave the ground for whatever reason.

But just tripping someone doesn't automatically remove their stance.