PDA

View Full Version : Minor Magical Item

fatbaby
2018-04-30, 09:21 PM
So I'm starting a new game in two weeks. Just finished a level 20 game and we are starting off at level 3 in this one. The DM has given everyone in the game an option for a magical item as something we found between levels 1 and 3. Has no problem with homebrewed stuff, so long as we run it by him first. Problem is, I haven't played a low level character in so long, I'm not sure what item I should ask for that wouldn't be too overpowered for level 3. I have looked through the DMG, and nothing has caught my eye in particular.

I will be playing a human bard with a noble (secret) background. I will not be doing any damage at all, I am purely in the party for control and buff/debuff. I only carry a broken sword lol. Would love to have something that helps with battlefield control.

Any suggestions? I would also love any other items that have been homebrewed that may not be optimal for this character, as I also DM and they could be good inspiration for my game. Maybe some other folks who check this out will see something and be inspired to use them in their game. Thanks guys and gals, as always.

sophontteks
2018-04-30, 09:31 PM
Cloak of billowing is nice on a bard.
No matter where you are, your cloak billows behind you as if you are always standing behind a fan.
I picked it, no regrets.

danpit2991
2018-04-30, 11:06 PM
on command your broken sword hilt produces a glowing spectral blade that gives of light anywhere between a candle and a torch but is incapable of doing damage the user decides the intensity of the emited light

thoroughlyS
2018-05-01, 12:36 AM
Exactly how "minor" are these items supposed to be? Did your DM specify whether they were supposed to be of a specific rarity, and whether or not they were supposed to be permanent or temporary (e.g. potions)?

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-05-01, 02:08 AM
I will be playing a human bard with a noble (secret) background. I will not be doing any damage at all, I am purely in the party for control and buff/debuff. I only carry a broken sword lol. Would love to have something that helps with battlefield control.

Any suggestions? I would also love any other items that have been homebrewed that may not be optimal for this character, as I also DM and they could be good inspiration for my game. Maybe some other folks who check this out will see something and be inspired to use them in their game. Thanks guys and gals, as always.

From the DMG assuming uncommon rarity.

Pipes of haunting: at level 3 this will be great especially for bigger groups and battlefield control

Slippers of spider climbing: Not so much for control but good for you to stay out of melee more easily.

Random ones that are low power but could be nice to not burn spell slots.
Horn of fog: Casts fog cloud 1d3/day
Flute of silence: Casts silence 1d3/day
Ruby of Faerie Fire: Cast faerie fire 1d3/day

Lord8Ball
2018-05-01, 11:56 AM
A cool magic item would be a music box that acted as a recorder, but you'd have to feed it the paper though. That way it could be a spying tool as well as being able to double as a pretty fancy music recorder that could probably get different instrument sounds in it at once.

Xihirli
2018-05-01, 11:59 AM
The hag trinket table in Volo’s has a coin. Anyone who touches it becomes convinced that this is the first coin ever minted by humanity. Maybe set up a Charisma saving throw for it and then there you go. Useless item.

A Fat Dragon
2018-05-01, 12:04 PM
Cloak of billowing is nice on a bard.
No matter where you are, your cloak billows behind you as if you are always standing behind a fan.
I picked it, no regrets.

What about the Ring of Perfect Entrances? With it, my Bard always know how to enter at the perfect time, and in the most dramatic way. Never let me down before.