PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Peace-Keeping party

Citan
2018-05-01, 09:16 AM
Hi all ;)

I invite you today to a peculiar exercise:
what would be, for you, the best 3-man party for neutralizing enemies *without* killing them?

More generally, the goal of that party would be to find, as often and as efficiently as possible, ways to find a peaceful resolution to any conflict (although not necessarily a balanced, win-win solution, although they'd take it whenever it's an option).

Only two rules to respect:
1. No multiclass (yeah, I'm harsh, but that way we can discuss the merits of each class on this own, then build on that to build the ultimate multiclass later ^^).

2. No UA content (because half of those is broken on purpose).

I've been away from games so I'm kinda rusty in my theorycraft-fu but my take would probably be...

Divine Soul Sorcerer with Subtle and Heightened metamagic: Command, Suggestion, Fear and Hold/Dominate should help.
Perfect whenever "convincing" one powerful people could be enough to turn the situation.

Moon Druid, using wild shapes in combination with concentration spells to create surprise attacks to destabilize, and otherwise sneak/scout away to maybe entirely avoid encounters, or just wear off enemy motivation/ability to harm with large-scale environmental spells.

Diviner Wizard, because whatever roll you get you still may have a chance to use it for some good. And between Grease, Web, Fear, Stinking Cloud, Hypnotic Pattern, Sleep etc, you should have all you need to disable the most troublesome enemies. :)
Plus you can complete Druid rituals-wise and take care of all INT-related skills.

Note that obviously this party could be in trouble in direct, unavoidable confrontation. But probably not so much I'd dare say unless they get ambushed or taken "short of time" (they can get enough spell to block enemy progression while they decide on whether to face or to run).

Your turn!

Unoriginal
2018-05-01, 09:32 AM
One Fighter, one Barbarian, and one Cleric.

You can just decide to not kill the person if you do melee damage.

sophontteks
2018-05-01, 09:33 AM
Tiefling glamour bard with devils tongue.
-Racial charm person for emergencies.
-Expertise in insight and persausion, later performance and deception.
-Can ultra charm several NPCs by singing/dancing for one minute. Undetectable. The NPCs will do everything they can to help the party for an hour.
-Command as a bonus action that can't fail on charmed targets.End an encounter in 10 words.
- Bards have all of the best illusions and enchantment spells: Suggestion, phantasmal force, alter self, disguise self, enhance ability, illusions, etc.
- The only class who's appearance permenantly changes to be sexier as they level up.

Doesn't matter what the rest of the party is. Redundant. When you want to end encounters you don't send in stinkly old wizards. You send in the sex idols of the age. The sorceror and D. Wizard have nothing on a glamour bard.

the_brazenburn
2018-05-01, 09:35 AM
Monk gets Stunning Strike, which can lock enemies down to give the rest of the party more time to subdue them.

Bards get all sorts of enchantments, which will convince the enemies that there's no need to fight at all.

I'll second Wizard. They just have so many spells that can be used for this purpose.

So, if I had to make a party, I guess it would be Open Hand Monk, Glamour Bard, and Abjuration Wizard.

I'm sure somebody else can come up with something better. This is off the top of my head.

Rogerdodger557
2018-05-01, 09:51 AM
Oath of Redemption Paladin-peaceful solutions are literally what the class was built for
Mastermind Rogue-Can use the Help action, as a bonus action, from 30 ft away. Also, built for social encounters
Purple Dragon Knight Fighter-Is fighter, abilities help in non-combat

sophontteks
2018-05-01, 09:59 AM
Let me round out my three.

I consider expertise in social skills a requirement here. Someone with max CHA, Eagles splendor, and expertise in all the social skills will beat out what most spells can do. Since we aren't multiclassing, Bards and Rogues have a huge advantage over other picks.

Glamour bard is the king of ending encounters peacefully. Everyone else pales in comparison.

Moon druid for guidance and shapeshifting to small animals has great social power.

Arcane trickster. Good social spells, can take advantage of social distractions to complete objectives. Has expertise.